• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Kombat Bloody Kombat (Mortal Kombat Grindhoused)

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

MEIVLRO_o.jpg
As a long time fan of first two Mortal Kombat games I was always a fan of this movie too. But since it didn't really get any interesting edits yet, I've decided to make it. So here it is, a fifth part of "Grindhoused Series" - this time it isnt as much about changing the plot like it was in the case of "Three Bears" Rambo edit, but about modyfing the tone & overall feel (there are still some surprise additions though). So, what we have here?​
- Added a few scenes from various unrelated movies as well as some scenes from the infamous sequel. We need more Kombat!​
- a couple of trailer shots added​
- Grindhouse treatment of course - damaged, dirty look etc​
- COMPLETE RE-SCORE. Instead of 90s techno and George S. Clinton's music (which served very well as the soundtrack here), now he have a compilation of themes from martial arts movies from 70s and 80s with some music from my favourite fighting games from the 90s and some additional songs that seemed to fit​
- There is some CGI blood added in several scenes,, but dont expect miracles as I am no VFX artist. It was meant to be fun and over the top nod to the early MK games.​
- Several scenes have partially or completely rebuilded audio and many sfx were replaced with SFX from MK 2, 10 and 11 games.​
- some new dialogue lines were added and some old lines replaced, which often was done to comical effect.​
- As i really like this movie as it is I didnt cut much - only the intro (replaced with new one), the scene with random guys being thrown to the ground by Goro and the cliffhanger ending and a few shots were a little repurposed.​
- BE WARNED: you may expect some nudity and R-rated language but nowhere near "Three Bears" levels.​

------------ORIGINAL POST--------------

Third (fifth? sixth?) installment in Grindhouse series after:

1. https://ifdb.fanedit.org/justice-league-grindhoused/
2. https://ifdb.fanedit.org/machete-sharpened/
3. https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-beast-alien-grindhoused/
4. https://ifdb.fanedit.org/three-effing-bears-a-john-rambo-story/

I've tried to do something with Logan just to see, that I have not enough heart for that movie (or maybe it doesn't really fit for the feel I try to achieve with those edits). So it was canceled and the next installment in this series of edits will be one of my all time favourite movies and still the best game-to-screen adaptation I've seen - Mortal Kombat.

This one certainly fits into this series concept, so there won't be problem here as were with Logan. This is also a movie I was a fan since its premiere back in 1995. Still love it and don't even think I can improve on it. But since I've seen it countless times, there may be a room for some tweaking just to have an alternate version to enjoy. This one won't be as experimental as Machete, I'm not sure if any additional footage outside of original movie will be used here.

Here's what I am planning to do.

- apply grindhouse look to entire movie (should look better than JLG, since I am now using much more overlays).
- rescore some scenes (especially fight scenes) using various pieces of music including some themes from classic MK games (1-3).
- few little cuts - there are some scenes I don't like (like the one with random guys being thrown to the ground by Goro).
- some sfx from the games here and there
- maybe some blood effects, not sure about that yet.

The goal, as always, is to have something a little more funny.

And here's the WIP, rough version of the opening credits created for this edit:

Last edited:

orchidal

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely want some blood if you can pull it off. Blood was the only missing element to this otherwise solid adaptation really.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, but since it won't be real gore anyway, just some light FX work, I am not sure if that's even worth it. Will see. I've done something like this for Machete edit, but it's a bit cheesy (that could, however, fit in the overall feel of the edit).

I could also try to find some footage of, let's say, some arm breakings (for quick shots of open fractures), but I am not sure about that yet.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love this idea and the WIP opening credits were phenomenal. Look forward to checking this out.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great credits sequence! I'd lie if I said I didn't miss the classic main theme, but this one does fit better with the grindhouse style.

I do think, though, that the main title card at the end should feel flashier. Maybe adding a whooshing sound as the title text moves into place?

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that certainly needs some addtional work.
Anyway, project isn't dead, just waiting for it's turn. It may end up as Grindhoused Series Vol.5 or 6 eventually.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like it may be finally revived soon, but I think that intro presented here won't be used. That concept was used in very similar form in Star Beast and I think I can replace it with something similar but better. I will start with the trailer that will be attached to updated edition of Three effin' Bears.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've decided to do almost complete re-score this time, so working for a few days on removing almost all of the music (except some little bits). Audio is clean in many places, but there is still much work to do. Here's an example of a scene that has 100% rebuilded audio without any elements from the movie:

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Phew, that was a week full of work. A LOT of audio filtering, SFX rebuilding etc. As of now, 99% of the music is removed. Starting re-scoring soon, If someone has any suggestions of the music that could be used, let me know.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems that I've found some use for Annihilation :D

• Wow
Reactions: Nic

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another day of hard re-scoring work, and some thoughts about the final shape of the edit (as if anyone give a damn.. :p).

This is another part of "Grindhoused series", but the goal isn't to recreate proper grindhouse feel of the 70s, that's just one of the ingredients, not a rigid frame. The new soundtrack will be a mixture of 70s kung fu movies, spaghetti westerns, disco/funk/rock but also 80s soundtracks from martial arts movies (like for example "Enter the Ninja") and 90s music including various fighting game soundtracks from the 90s which is my beloved decade, and some more unexpected things. In fact, I have more than one musical ideas for some scenes, so I am considering doing bonus audio track with all those abandoned ideas included, especially that there are also other things than music in the audio deprtament, that may have some alternate versions.

I consider Mortal Kombat to be one of my favorite movies (and the best game adaptation ever) and I dont think it needs any fixing, so this is just alternative way of watching it not meant to replace original. On the contrary to the "Blood Cut" by Scaperat, who tried to distance the movie from its game roots, I am doing the opposite thing, so even more elements from the games will be included (like that Dan Forden's "cameo" seen in the trailer). I am going to embrace all the campiness and ridiculousness and increase it with some (cheap) VFX, game SFX and dialogue, with some additional F-bombs and a little bit of tit ;)

So, this will be "grindhouse meets 90s" and yes, there's Lenny Kravitz in there. Tried to include Britney Spears too (an idea by Eyepainter from his review for Star Beast :D), but couldn't find appropriate place, maybe I will try again. Taking "Hit me one more time" line out of context and putting it in there is kinda tempting.

Last edited:

MistarerX

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea that BS line must be doable!! I'll be watching my Blu-ray soon and once reaquainted with this great movie I last saw on VHS I might be able to offer a suggestion on that.... Id be stabbing in the dark right now as only remember the 'give me a break' line, and although I want to say playing off after that neck snap is the perfect moment, Im sure Im wrong. Hehe.

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And f*cking Goro 😂 I'm excited already, this rocks hard!

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The new soundtrack will be a mixture of 70s kung fu movies, spaghetti westerns, disco/funk/rock but also 80s soundtracks from martial arts movies (like for example "Enter the Ninja") and 90s music including various fighting game soundtracks from the 90s which is my beloved decade, and some more unexpected things. In fact, I have more than one musical ideas for some scenes, so I am considering doing bonus audio track with all those abandoned ideas included, especially that there are also other things than music in the audio deprtament, that may have some alternate versions.
You will be keeping Control (Juno Reactor Instrumental) in the Reptile fight right?

I cannot imagine the scene without it. LOL

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As much as I love this as a soundtrack in this fight (and the music in this movie in general), the goal here is not to "fix" or replace original as my "go to version", but to change the overall feel and replace as much music as can be replaced to have a new, different watching experience.
So the answer is no. There will be not a single fight scene with original music.

Top Bottom