- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
As a long time fan of first two Mortal Kombat games I was always a fan of this movie too. But since it didn't really get any interesting edits yet, I've decided to make it. So here it is, a fifth part of "Grindhoused Series" - this time it isnt as much about changing the plot like it was in the case of "Three Bears" Rambo edit, but about modyfing the tone & overall feel (there are still some surprise additions though). So, what we have here?
- Added a few scenes from various unrelated movies as well as some scenes from the infamous sequel. We need more Kombat!
- a couple of trailer shots added
- Grindhouse treatment of course - damaged, dirty look etc
- COMPLETE RE-SCORE. Instead of 90s techno and George S. Clinton's music (which served very well as the soundtrack here), now he have a compilation of themes from martial arts movies from 70s and 80s with some music from my favourite fighting games from the 90s and some additional songs that seemed to fit
- There is some CGI blood added in several scenes,, but dont expect miracles as I am no VFX artist. It was meant to be fun and over the top nod to the early MK games.
- Several scenes have partially or completely rebuilded audio and many sfx were replaced with SFX from MK 2, 10 and 11 games.
- some new dialogue lines were added and some old lines replaced, which often was done to comical effect.
- As i really like this movie as it is I didnt cut much - only the intro (replaced with new one), the scene with random guys being thrown to the ground by Goro and the cliffhanger ending and a few shots were a little repurposed.
- BE WARNED: you may expect some nudity and R-rated language but nowhere near "Three Bears" levels.
I've tried to do something with Logan just to see, that I have not enough heart for that movie (or maybe it doesn't really fit for the feel I try to achieve with those edits). So it was canceled and the next installment in this series of edits will be one of my all time favourite movies and still the best game-to-screen adaptation I've seen - Mortal Kombat.
This one certainly fits into this series concept, so there won't be problem here as were with Logan. This is also a movie I was a fan since its premiere back in 1995. Still love it and don't even think I can improve on it. But since I've seen it countless times, there may be a room for some tweaking just to have an alternate version to enjoy. This one won't be as experimental as Machete,
Here's what I am planning to do.
- apply grindhouse look to entire movie (should look better than JLG, since I am now using much more overlays).
- rescore some scenes (especially fight scenes) using various pieces of music including some themes from classic MK games (1-3).
- few little cuts - there are some scenes I don't like (like the one with random guys being thrown to the ground by Goro).
- some sfx from the games here and there
- maybe some blood effects, not sure about that yet.
The goal, as always, is to have something a little more funny.
And here's the WIP, rough version of the opening credits created for this edit: