• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Knowledable in Video Editting, New to Fan-Edits

batman11

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there. Long time lurker on the site and forums, first time poster. Having watched many of the fan-edits on the site, I've found myself extremely impressed and intrigued. I've decided to come ask my questions here, as I know you guys are experts on this stuff, and I'm sure you'll be able to help me out.

As I stated in the title, I'm by all means not a novice video editor, but I'm new to such a large scale project like editing an entire movie.

Recently, I tried to edit Spider-Man 3, to make it better to my liking. In all honesty, not only were some of my cuts bad, but the quality turned out to be terrible. Now, I've improved my cuts, and I actually really like my edit, but the quality has become the biggest issue, and is causing me the most stress.

And so, I decided to re-do my edit, and this time it's going to be done properly. For this reason, I've come here, to ask for any help on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix issues such as quality, frame rate, etc. So here's the story:

1. I bought the Spider-Man 3 DVD on October 30, and immediately ripped it to my computer using DVD Decrypter. However, all I did was go into IFO mode, and not specify any settings. Is there a special way to rip the VOB files?

2. After I had the 4 VOB files on my computer, I opened up Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. For some reason, the program lets me edit the files once I re-named them as .MPG, however, every time I try to render, I get an error. Premiere will not let me render the .MPG files.

So, I turned to .AVI. The problem with this however, is that trying to convert .MPG to .AVI involves some sort of encoding like DivX or XviD.

(This was the problem with my first edit, as I used a DivX AVI movie file to edit with. For those who know Premiere, for some reason it makes the exported file size huge! I then used XviD to compress the huge exported file. This was a mistake, as a DivX AVI was used in the first place. Basically, I used XviD to compress an already compressed DivX file. This is what made the quality so crappy.)

Anyhow, I tried to use Virtual Dub to direct stream the .MPG to .AVI, however, it always gave me an error.

3. After not being able to edit with .MPG nor being able to get a high quality .AVI, I downloaded a Premiere plugin, called Main Concept MPEG Pro. Basically, this lets you edit .MPG files without constant rendering in Premiere. So, I had some hope, unfortunately it went down the drain fast. As soon as I put a .MPG file into the Premiere timeline using the Main Concept Plugin, the program crashed. Every single time. I've looked all around for a solution to this, but have found it no where.

4. Now, I was stuck. I decided to take one last shot at it and go to a "higher power". Blu-Ray. My friend and I used his Spider-Man 3 Blu-Ray disc to create a 6 GB .h264 file of the movie. This seemed like a plausible solution, as the .MPG files combined were 4 GB; this one was only 2 GB more, and was far superior in quality. But, as usual, I faced another problem. Premiere ran insanely slow when loading the 6 GB file, and almost always crashed.

5. After all this hardship, I've decided to come here. Throughout my processes, I've constantly asked myself the same question: Why is this so difficult? There's gotta be an easier way to do this.

And so, I've come to the experts. I know you guys probably have the answer containing the "easier way to do this" and its probably so simple.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Take care,

batman11

as for 1:
after you ripped the DVD to your harddrive, you can use PGCdemux: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PgcDemux to get the video (m2v) and audio files (ac3).
these can be mulitplexed to mpg with the freeware program
Imago MPG Muxer: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImagoMPEG-Muxer

as for2:
to gain highest quality avi you can use a freeware 1-click solution: autogk: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AutoGK
set the quality to 100% and you should have nice files to work with Premiere.

as for3:
your files weren't real mpg files. Just renamed vobs. this migth be the answer.

as for 4:
working with h264 form a blueray source requires a real fast computer. It is no fun to edit these hq files.

as for 5:
good idea :) Try work with avis or with multiplexed mpg files. The only program that really handles vobs properly is Womble DVD mpg wizard.

Thanks boon.

I'll try to fix the .MPGs and see if that fixes the problem

And yeah, I thought 5 was a good idea as well. ;)

Thanks again.

Take care,

batman11

load dvd decrypter in IFO read mode

select your vobs, then click the stream processing tab, click demux and select the streams you want

hit the go button

ouila perfectly demuxed mpg files.

much easier.

Thanks. unfortunately I've already begun the Demux/Remux stage. However I'll definitely try it next time.

Take care,

batman11

EDIT: Alright, so I demuxed/remuxed the files and Premiere still will not render them, and Main Concept continues to crash.

I'm now trying Auto Gordian Knot, but what worries me is that XviD is involved. That was precisely the problem with my last one. I used an XviD file to edit with, and then compressed it again with XviD (vasically using XviD twice). This seriously hurt the quality. However, I did set it to 100% so I hope that helps.

I'll let you guys know.

EDIT 2: Was just thinking guys, could I use AviSynth to write out the code that tricks Premiere into thinking the .MPG is an AVI?

Back
Top Bottom