• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Knight Rider (2017)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Justin Lin and his production company are to helm a new KR series that will debut in 2017 exclusive to Machinima

Star Trek Beyond director Justin Lin is taking part in a live-action reboot of the 1980s NBC series Knight Rider anticipated to debut in 2017. Through his production company YOMYOMF, Lin is partnering with NBCUniveral in a show scheduled to debut on the digital network Machinima.

“Knight Rider is an iconic franchise whose concepts of AI and autonomous vehicles were science fiction in the 1980s and are now science fact,” said Machinima CEO Chad Gutstein. “Justin is one of the leading storytellers of his generation and we couldn’t be more excited to work with him on re-invigorating Knight Rider for a new generation of fans.”

No details about a cast, plot, or production schedule has been released.

http://www.newsarama.com/31721-star-trek-beyond-director-to-reboot-knight-rider.html

I wonder if the Knight Rider Heroes project will still go ahead in light of this?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
another one?

43759.gif

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am actually cautiously optimistic by this announcement.

The output by Machinima is pretty impressive and they seem to have a good understanding of what specific genre fan bases expect and cater well to them.

I mean, its gotta be better than the last attempted Knight Rider reboot, right? :blush:

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We'll all be disappointed when we find it's just a 50 year old executive driving his Tesla around...

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I mean, its gotta be better than the last attempted Knight Rider reboot, right? :blush:

KR 2008 wasn't ALL bad, they made improvements half-way through the first season and tried bringing the show back to the classic modern western format...didn't translate well to modern audiences sadly, hence why they're dumping any new attempt at it on platforms with niche audiences.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There were many problems with the last Knight Rider  incarnation, but the biggest being for me, NBC made it clear they wanted a "Transformers" rip-off.... thus KITT being able to change into a truck!   I wouldn't call myself a purist (lol is there such a thing when it comes to such childhood shows ha ha) but that was one of the dumber things I hated about the show.

But you are right, when they changed show runners part way into the season and jettisoned the massive (and uninteresting) support cast, the show became better.  The KARR ep was fun but by then the audience had given up on the show.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
KR 2008 wasn't ALL bad, they made improvements half-way through the first season and tried bringing the show back to the classic modern western format...didn't translate well to modern audiences sadly, hence why they're dumping any new attempt at it on platforms with niche audiences.

In all honesty, what show does well after changing its format halfway through its failing first season?

I jumped ship by episode 3 and didn't keep any tabs on what was happening to the show, so when I found out they had changed stuff around, the show had already been long canceled.  I did check out the KITT vs. KARR duel and I wasn't impressed.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The output by Machinima is pretty impressive and they seem to have a good understanding of what specific genre fan bases expect and cater well to them.

I'm not really a fan of any incarnation of Knight Rider, although the original series has charm. But I a definitely going to give this new series a peek simply because Machinima is doing it. Their Mortal Kombat series was awesome

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While researching the German blu ray release of my beloved childhood series THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, I stumbled upon this news....

A German company called TURBINE will be releasing KNIGHT RIDER on blu ray, no date given yet.  How does this differ from the Mill Creek blu ray release, you ask?

Well this one will have extras, though no specifics.   Also, I am guessing they will do their own HD upgrade, which will probably be superior to Mill Creek's since they do everything on the cheap.

But the biggest news, when they say COMPLETE COLLECTION, they mean it will include every incarnation of Knight Rider... Knight Rider 2010, Team Knight Rider and the 2008 series.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=319676

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm excited. I loved the few episodes of TKR I did see when ITV aired them, I hope time will be kinder to it today from fans

Top Bottom