• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

KJRS 0001: Scream (1996) - Director's Cut HD Reconstruction

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
  • Original Movie Title: Scream (1996)
  • Genre: Horror
  • Franchise: Scream
  • Fanedit Type: Movie & Television Preservation
  • Original Release Date: 1996
  • Original Running Time: 111 mins
  • Fanedit Release Date: March 2023
  • Fanedit Running Time: 111 mins
  • Time Cut: N/A
  • Time Added: 20 secs.
  • Available in HD? Yes
Scream: one of the most beloved horror franchises to come out of the 90s, which still endures to this day. Being a fan of the franchise since my youth, and greatly excited by the release of Scream VI, I found myself outlining several Scream related projects I wanted to pursue over the course of this year, and the first one on my list was restoring Wes Craven's original cut of the first film to the best of my abilities. The Director's Cut of Scream has only ever been available on a very few releases, all of which were SD: laserdisc, VHS, and DVD.

After acquiring the 2002 Japanese Pioneer Entertainment Region 2 DVD, and studying as much material as I could find on the net regarding the Director's Cut, I immediately began this project. Sourcing the SD Director's Cut from the DVD and the recent HD transfer of the film via 2021 remastered Blu-ray, I was able to reconstruct and restore this highly sought after original vision of this beloved film as best as I could. The DVD transfer quality isn't the best, but it isn't the worse either, and upscaling the needed SD footage only did so much; a satisfactory effort was made, and I am proud to present Scream: Director's Cut in full HD.

Sources:
Scream (1996) Japanese Region 2 DVD: The Director's Cut of the film was sourced here. The unedited gore shoots needed for full restoration were taken from here and upscaled via Topaz Video AI. The SD transfer also served as an A/V sync guide for assembling this cut. The audio for this reconstruction was sourced from this DVD as well.
Scream (1996) US Region A 2021 Blu-ray: The most recent transfer of the film, remastered for its 25th anniversary, was sourced from this Blu-ray release. This HD source makes up the bulk of the reconstruction. The SD footage was color corrected to match this transfer using DaVinci Resolve.

Runtime Comparison:
Theatrical Cut:
1:50:55:08
Director's Cut: 1:50:57:21

Audio:
English 5.1
English 2.0

Screencaps:
View media item 1351

Wanted to inform you all that a V2 will be coming in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks for doing this. The best effort I've seen so far. :)

What can we expect from V2?

No problem!

I'll be replacing the DVD 5.1 and stereo tracks with the laserdiscs tracks, and I'll also be replacing Kenny the cameraman's death with an upscaled LD version since Japanese DVD has a mastering error.

I've sadly only recently learned of this site and I've been desperately trying to find some sort of upscaled DC of Scream! I'm definitely curious to see it. Can I send you a message for more details?

Last edited:
Sorry for the response a month later, but you sure can.
I took a break from this project for a little while, but I'm back to working on it while correcting my Halloween Ends Extended Cut project. For V2, I have recently acquired the German Kinowelt Special Edition DVD, and am currently waiting for it to come to me directly from Deutschland (via eBay Germany and Mailboxde). The Kinowelt DVD will be used for upscaling in place of the Japanese DVD that was used in V1. The German 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack will be included in this release, as will the Japanese 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack from the Pioneer DVD. I re-captured my laserdisc to get the properly synced commentary, and will be incorporating that as well. I've also gone ahead and re-synced the blu-ray footage to the LD capture to get it as frame accurate as possible.

Is this edit out yet? Or is there a new version in the works?

One can still PM, but there are mastering errors and some desync which I'm addressing in V2.

V2 is now available. I ended up not incorporating the Japanese or German dubs, but the Wes Craven/Kevin Williamson commentary has been added.
Great! Where can we get it? I held off watching the V1 as you said the V2 was around the corner. :)

is there anyway i can see this please? glad someone finally done this at last. please reply anyone lol

Apologies to any who have been waiting. I was in the process of completing another update and life got in the way, of course. With that said, Version 2.2 is now available. Will sending the link out to those who have been requesting the edit.

Apologies to any who have been waiting. I was in the process of completing another update and life got in the way, of course. With that said, Version 2.2 is now available. Will sending the link out to those who have been requesting the edit.
No worries! Life happens to all of us. I'm looking forward to seeing your edit!

Back
Top Bottom