• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Kill Bill Vol.1: The Uncut Japanese Version by TM2YC

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

This is the uncensored Japanese SD-DVD cut of 'Kill Bill Vol.1', reconstructed using the censored HD-Blu-Ray cut as the basis.

I was unsatisfied that my preferred cut of Kill Bill, that I've been happily watching on DVD for a decade, has still not recieved an HD upgrade. So I decided to make the next best thing, using every frame of HD that I could.

All unique frames, shots and scenes have been sourced from the DVD, so are still in SD. I have therefore presented this at 720p, rather than full 1080p so the difference is not so obvious. I've also added the subtitles for the non-English dialogue scenes in the distinctive same yellow-on-black style as other Tarantino movies.

Sources:
Kill Bill Vol.1 UK Blu-Ray
Kill Bill Vol.1 Japanese DVD

Release Format:
1280x546 mp4
5.1 English AC3

Editing Details:
I placed the Blu-Ray on a seperate layer to the DVD in Sony Vegas, and then rearranged or slightly trimmed it to exactly match. In an effort to keep as much HD as possible, when a shot was longer in the Japanese version, I've only added the missing frames rather than replace the whole shot. Also in some cases I've blended frames together when only parts of the image needed replacing.

Cuts and Additions:
00.00.00 - Replaced Miramax Titlecard with Japanese Version
00.00.41 - Replaced 'Klingon Proverb' with 'Kinji Fukasaku' dedication
00.00.49 - Added 1 black frame
00.04.26 - Replaced 'EFX Group' credits with 'I.G., Tokyo' credit
00.05.07 - Added 5 black frames
00.05.46 - Removed 1 frame as Vernita opens the door
00.09.50 - Removed 33 frames from the start of the overhead shot of the kitchen
00.10.00 - Replaced rest of overhead shot with 3 alternate angles (41 frames longer)
00.13.54 - Removed 1 frame of Vernita's face
00.25.12 - Added 12 black frames
00.35.58 - Added 1 black frame
00.37.24 - Added 2 shots of face crushing (86 frames)
00.41.28 - Added 1 frame of sword in chest and replaced shot of O-Ren with alternate angle (3 frames longer)
00.41.32 - Added bloody mouth shot (96 frames longer)
00.41.36 - Added slightly closer shot of O-Ren (96 frames)
00.41.48 - Added shot of disembowling (42 frames)
00.41.49 - Extended shot of sword being pulled out by 1 frame from each end
00.41.50 - Moved silhouette shot forward
00.41.50 - Extended shot of 1st blood splash by 4 frames
00.41.52 - Extended lamp-shade shot by 1 frame
00.41.53 - Extended silhouette shot by 1 frame
00.41.53 - Added 5 more frames of blood gushing
00.41.55 - Added closeup of Boss' face (48 frames)
00.41.57 - Added 1 frame of O-Ren and adjusted shot to match closer Japanese framing
00.42.01 - Added shot of Boss dying a closeup of his torn stomach (148 frames)
00.42.07 - Added 1 frame of the bed and adjusted shot to match closer Japanese framing
00.44.03 - Added 15 black frames
00.44.27 - Removed 1 frame of kick still
00.50.53 - Removed 1 frame before trapdoor opens
00.56.38 - Added 9 black frames
00.59.11 - Added 3 black frames
01.00.56 - Added 16 more frames of guts spilling onto the floor
01.14.56 - Replaced 15 frames of O-Ren's eyes with 15 more frames of blood gushing from Sophie's arm
01.00.56 - Added 16 more frames of blood gushing from Sophie's arm
01.17.22 - Added 2 shots of girl bleeding from the mouth and The Bride (71 frames)
01.17.23 - Removed 11 frames of The Bride
01.17.25 - Removed 1 frame of The Bride pulling out sword
01.17.44 - Removed 1 frame before Gogo steps into shot
01.23.24 - Extended long shot of The Bride by 6 frames
01.23.25 - Added 3 shots of The Brige fighting (49 frames)
01.23.27 - Extended shot of The Bride by 2 frames
01.23.34 - Extended shot of The Bride by 9 frames
01.23.34 - Added shot of The Bride flipping over (57 frames)
01.23.37 - Extended shot of The Bride by 1 frame
01.23.38 - Replaced Censored Black & White 'House Of Leaves Fight' with Uncut Colour version (467 frames, or 19 seconds longer)
01.29.15 - Removed 1 frame of The Bride hanging from the balcony
01.41.17 - Extended 1 shot and added 3 more shots of Sophie's other arm being cut off (242 frames)
01.41.27 - Removed 1 frame of Sophie's face
01.42.46 - Added 2 black frames
01.44.18 - Added 7 black frames
01.44.31 - Replaced 'I.G., Tokyo' credit with 'EFX Group' credits
01.51.38 - Removed 2 frames of the Miramax logo

Cover Art:

Alternate Cover art (Feat. Original Japan Poster):

Demo showing the kind of missing shots that are only in this version (Password: fanedit.org):

IFDB Listing Link

(FYI: I just made the DVD covers for fun. There will be no SD-DVD release, as you can buy that from Amazon already. A 720p mp4 will be the only format for this project)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks y'all. I also have an ulterior motive for making this preservation... so I can use it as the basis for my own chronological remix of Kill Bill. More on that when I've got one or two things sorted out :).

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought the Japanese cut for 1000yen last year when i was in Tokyo, but I still haven't watched it (I saw the whole bloody affair a few years ago whe n Ihad my regular R2 dvd's)

But I bought the double pack Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 on blu ray recently because it was in HMV's 3 for £20 but it still counted as one purchase so I figured it would be dumb not to upgrade.

I have to ask, have you digitally tinted the water in the shots where the blood effects are unfinished oer just left as is?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
have you digitally tinted the water in the shots where the blood effects are unfinished oer just left as is?

Left it alone, it's a preservation after all.

There is just one guy where it looks like water flying right? I was never sure what was the deal was with that. I guess he's supposed to have climbed out of the water, as he looks soaked to the bone right before The Bride slices him.

By the way, there is one longer shot on the Japanese cut that shows a stunt cord (on the left side)...

(Click image ^ to see fullsize)

In the shorter Blu-Ray version of the shot it's been digitally erased (Not entirely seemlessly). But it's only on screen for a flash, so you'd struggle to spot it in either version. I only did because I was going through this frame-by-frame.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I got the edit and watched it... why can't I leave a review?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smithers said:
So I got the edit and watched it... why can't I leave a review?

Because this is categorized as a "Preservation" instead of a fanedit. With Preservs, the editors are simply capturing and preserving movies and tv specials not available for purchase, or "Restoring" films to a higher quality (as is this entry). Because Preservs don't usually require editing or narrative restructuring, the Administrators (of which I was one myself when we implemented IFDB) decided to make Preservs "un-rateable". It wouldn't make sense to require users to rate the Editing and Narrative of "When Star Wars Ruled The World" (for example). IFDB's current structure or interface or whatever word you want to call it doesn't allow for reviews without rating, and that's a bummer but no huge loss.

So, leave your review in the thread.

Evil Dad

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love this edit. Thank you very much for this! But as I'm using different subs than the forced ones, I would be even happier if I could obtain a version without any subs.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Evil Dad said:
I love this edit. Thank you very much for this! But as I'm using different subs than the forced ones, I would be even happier if I could obtain a version without any subs.

Sorry that's the only version I made. The DVD of the Japanese cut has optional subs.

Evil Dad

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I know I own it myself but that's in SD. Didn't you kept the source of your edit clean and added the forced subs later? A mkv file containing a separate srt file would be better for people who use subs in other languages.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Evil Dad said:
I know I own it myself but that's in SD. Didn't you kept the source of your edit clean and added the forced subs later? A mkv file containing a separate srt file would be better for people who use subs in other languages.

indiana____let_it_go_by_jmkohrs-d7svzot.png

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah it's not gonna happen, sorry :-(.

I make edits for fun and for myself mostly. But if I can please everyone else with a little extra effort then of course I will. But making subs files isn't one of those times/things. I hate making them with a passion. I wanted hard subs for ease and because I could control the look and design of them, so that's what the edit has.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was pointed out to me that there was an error with one of the subtitles for this project (The subtitle from one scene, appeared in another scene). It was a small thing I guess but it bugged the hell out of me knowing this wasn't perfect, so it's been fixed and the corrected version is now available on info.

Apologies to anybody who has already downloaded this :sad:.

Zarquon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is great! Seriously great work.
Unfortunately, there is still one weird error. Every time the subtitles are on the screen, the reds and fleshtones in the entire image become slightly more saturated. The color switches back and forth as the subtitles pop-up, so this is distracting. This can be seen most clearly when the Bride talks to Goro and when O-Ren is in the meeting with the Yakuza.
This is very minor and I understand if you don't care to fix it. I just thought I should let you know.
Other than that, this fanedit is truly excellent and the best way to watch Kill Bill.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarquon said:
Every time the subtitles are on the screen, the reds and fleshtones in the entire image become slightly more saturated.

I just rewatched the edit and watched those scenes through 2 or 3 times before I even spotted what you mention. You are right, there is a tiny shift in saturation on the subtitle frames. It's so subtle I don't know how you even noticed it (Superman vision I think ;-)).

So I think it's pretty minor and I won't be fixing it (aka remaking the entire thing from scratch). Sorry everyone, I done f**ked it up. Thanks for pointing this problem out so now I'll be aware of this potential issue with my future edits.

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone ever put this on Blu-Ray? I downloaded this when first became active here, and I never put on disc. I've been watching it on my computer all this time and I've been thinking about putting on disc finally, but I'm curious as to what the picture quality would look like on a big screen (or a 42" TV in my case).

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kidjupiter92 said:
Has anyone ever put this on Blu-Ray? I downloaded this when first became active here, and I never put on disc. I've been watching it on my computer all this time and I've been thinking about putting on disc finally, but I'm curious as to what the picture quality would look like on a big screen (or a 42" TV in my case).

Hope no one minds me mentioning my own edit in this thread. I haven't got a blu ray version of my edit but I did a 3 hour cut of Kill Bill 1 and 2 combinedthat features the colour version of the crazy 88 fight in what I would describe as faux hd. Another editor blended the BW blu ray detail with the colour from the dvd and came up with something that I would describe as the middle ground  between SD and 720p its quite impressive footage and was passed on to me as I was using my japanese dvd source originally. I also burned all the subtitles into the video so all foreign languages scenes are intact per the original.

Top Bottom