• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Kdenlive, what do people here think of it?

Do you like Kdenlive?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's OK/Not sure

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would like to know what people here think of Kdenlive?

Personally I like it although its a little basic, but it can do a number of video formats, which I assume are considered standard these days.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder which option will win...

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What if we have heard of it but never used it so we can't really say that we haven't heard of it, we like it, don't like it, or that's it's just ok.  :D

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
slekyr said:
What if we have heard of it but never used it so we can't really say that we haven't heard of it, we like it, don't like it, or that's it's just ok.  :D

Sorry I should have made the 'Its OK' option a 'Its OK/Not sure' option I dont think I can change it now.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
Sorry I should have made the 'Its OK' option a 'Its OK/Not sure' option I dont think I can change it now.

No worries, hope you get the desired feedback from the community.  If you haven't already, you should check out the Technical Information section and or use the search function. Cheers

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
slekyr said:
lotrjjw said:

No worries, hope you get the desired feedback from the community.  If you haven't already, you should check out the Technical Information section and or use the search function. Cheers

OK thanks

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the look of it. It's open source and regularly updated which is cool. I'm currently stuck using a Mac, which is a shame, because that means I'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to install it (Windows version is still in beta, too).

Do you like it? How would you compare it to other FLOSS video editors like OpenShot, Pitivi or Lightworks?

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I like the look of it. It's open source and regularly updated which is cool. I'm currently stuck using a Mac, which is a shame, because that means I'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to install it (Windows version is still in beta, too).

Do you like it? How would you compare it to other FLOSS video editors like OpenShot, Pitivi or Lightworks?

I do like it, im using it on Linux, which doesn't appear to be beta, I haven't come across the others you mentioned, so I can't compare.

It can handle all the major formats from SD in PAL or NTSC resolutions/framerates, HD at 720p with different frame rates, 1080i and 1080p at all sorts of frame rates and 4k.
 I haven't used 4k as I dont have any 4k source material and haven't rendered anything in SD yet.

Oh it doesn't do 5.1 sound only 2.0, that seems to be its only downside so far for me, as I can't do fan edits where the source sound is 5.1 and have 5.1 at the end. The 2.0 sound seems to be AAC.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ It's only the Windows version that's in beta, the Mac version requires compiling directly from the source code, which would take a bit more effort to do. Or I could just swallow my pride and install Fedora, already.

That's a shame about the 5.1 sound, that seems like a major caveat that needs fixing. Have you tried submitting a pull request on their GitHub Repository?

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
^ It's only the Windows version that's in beta, the Mac version requires compiling directly from the source code, which would take a bit more effort to do. Or I could just swallow my pride and install Fedora, already.

That's a shame about the 5.1 sound, that seems like a major caveat that needs fixing. Have you tried submitting a pull request on their GitHub Repository?

No that might be a good idea thanks for that.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
slekyr said:

Done.

By the way, if people are confused about what this is, it's an NLE.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
lotrjjw said:
slekyr said:

Done.

By the way, if people are confused about what this is, it's an NLE.

Thanks thats very helpful, although many people have already voted that they havent heard of it anyway.
Im glad that changing it didnt reset the results, I have seen that happen on other forums, where a poll gets created, then gets changed somehow and the results are lost.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not many people use Linux, and it looks like this was primarily developed for Linux machines, so I'm not too surprised. Good to know there are versions available for other OSes too, though.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Added this to the free editing software thread.

addiesin said:
Not many people use Linux, and it looks like this was primarily developed for Linux machines, so I'm not too surprised. Good to know there are versions available for other OSes too, though.

I just installed the beta windows version. I'll give a review after messing with it a bit.

Every video I try to add says it's invalid and is removed from the project. Frustrating. Got it to work. It's having a hard time loading previews. I do love that you can use the jog wheel on the mouse to move frames forward or backward.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Added this to the free editing software thread.

addiesin said:

I just installed the beta windows version. I'll give a review after messing with it a bit.

Every video I try to add says it's invalid and is removed from the project. Frustrating. Got it to work. It's having a hard time loading previews. I do love that you can use the jog wheel on the mouse to move frames forward or backward.

There have been some files that have been a bit difficult to add for me too, I right clicked the file from its folder and opened it with kdenlive. 
I haddent discovered the mouse jog wheel did that thanks! There is another way to advance frames under the preview using the up and down arrows next to the time point.

I use linux which is how I came across this software in the first place, its easier to install linux software thats already been added to the depository for the distribution, than to try and compile something. Windows software is theoretically possible to use with WINE but it can be a faf.

Top Bottom