• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Justice League

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
TM2YC said:
The new trailer is again in 4:3 which I like:

but on Wikipedia it now says...
The cut was filmed in and will be released in an open matte 1.33:1 aspect ratio

...which is cool (if true).

With a month to go, it doesn't seem they've announced how this is going to be released outside of the USA, where HBOmax isn't available yet.  Maybe they're just crossing their fingers and hoping cinemas will reopen internationally? (not likely by 18th March, in the UK at least)

Zack Snyder recently said Warner Bros. has been underestimating an overseas release, and that's the reason we know little information about it releasing in Europe/UK or any country where HBOMax is not available (yet?)

Can't they just put it up on SKY Store?

QuickestEditInTheWest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Canon Editor said:
TM2YC said:
The new trailer is again in 4:3 which I like:

but on Wikipedia it now says...
The cut was filmed in and will be released in an open matte 1.33:1 aspect ratio

...which is cool (if true).

With a month to go, it doesn't seem they've announced how this is going to be released outside of the USA, where HBOmax isn't available yet.  Maybe they're just crossing their fingers and hoping cinemas will reopen internationally? (not likely by 18th March, in the UK at least)

Zack Snyder recently said Warner Bros. has been underestimating an overseas release, and that's the reason we know little information about it releasing in Europe/UK or any country where HBOMax is not available (yet?)

Can't they just put it up on SKY Store?

That's what I was assuming would happen. It's where most of the HBO stuff ends up in the UK. Fingers crossed.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't have Sky, so I hope not ;) .  Wonder Woman 1984 is on AmazonUK.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
TM2YC said:
The new trailer is again in 4:3 which I like

Just curious, what is appealing to you about the boxier aspect ratio?

I like it generally but since it's hardly ever used in movies today, it's something special when an indie movie goes with it but a colossal budget superhero CGI fest going with the format is something unique and possibly never to be repeated.  Not even Nolan who loves IMAX has framed one of his movies completely in a squarish aspect-ratio.  He did put the Joker bank job on the blu-ray though:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't have Sky, so I hope not ;) .  Wonder Woman 1984 is on AmazonUK.

It can show up there too as well as SKY Store.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
asterixsmeagol said:
TM2YC said:
The new trailer is again in 4:3 which I like

Just curious, what is appealing to you about the boxier aspect ratio?

I like it generally but since it's hardly ever used in movies today, it's something special when an indie movie goes with it but a colossal budget superhero CGI fest going with the format is something unique and possibly never to be repeated.  Not even Nolan who loves IMAX has framed one of his movies completely in a squarish aspect-ratio.  He did put the Joker bank job on the blu-ray though:

I don't generally have a preference for one aspect ratio over another, but I do prefer to watch things in the aspect they were shot for. I'm really happy that the new Babylon 5 remaster, while imperfect, puts it back in the proper 4:3. I'm currently rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it's presented in 16:9 instead of the original 4:3 and it results in a lot of weird shots, although at least since it was filmed in 16:9 and framed for 4:3 that means that the extra stuff in the 16:9 image just results is weird framing and occasional errors instead of cropping out important stuff.

I really didn't like the changing aspect ratios of The Dark Knight; I would have rather they just framed the whole thing in either 2.40:1 or 1.43:1. Watching in theater was less weird than on home release for some reason, maybe because the image was taking up the majority of my field of view?

The only time I've really noticed aspect ratios in a good way was The Lighthouse, because it played into the claustrophobic feeling of the movie by having lots of shots with the characters closer together than a 16:9 or 2.40:1 ratio would have probably had.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"TM2YC" some good news for the UK if still no specifics.

DX6cmyL.jpg

Here's a link to the tweet thread. I imagine it'll be on Amazon Prime. No doubt Sky would have already emailed me about it if it was coming to Now TV.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It'll be available on Amazon Prime in Italy... that may be a hint. @"Malthus" @"TM2YC"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know if this is new news but it's now going to be one epic length film, not broken up into episodes as it was reported earlier.  Very good news if true.  It's not like people can't pause it if they want to.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't know if this is new news but it's now going to be one epic length film, not broken up into episodes as it was reported earlier.  Very good news if true.  It's not like people can't pause it if they want to.

Apparently it’s related to the actors contracts not being set up to allow for it to be split up into an episodic TV like format

QuickestEditInTheWest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SPOILERS! (but also kinda not)

The story outline for what would have been Justice League 2 and 3 are out on the internet. Read if you will... I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

It's worth bearing in mind before reading that if the powers that be decide to pursue some kind of sequel to the Snyder Cut, what is written on those boards will not come to pass. At least not exactly. This is the plan from way back in the day before Flash directors started dropping like flies etc.

Zack Snyder has stated himself that he doesn't consider these to be spoilers at this point.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So just watched the ZS cut. Well, I have this much to say about it. It's more Justice League than Avengers was Avengers. It has depth that is worth investing in. It champions for the marginalized, the grieving and the hopeful. Is it perfect? No. Is it everything it touted to be. Yes. Is it better than the theatrical. There is no comparison. How did WB allow for the theatrical to be released when this was the possibility? Am I a Synder fan? No. Do I think he hit a home run with this one? In terms of a superhero movie, yes. I think this is the future for DC. If WB was smart, they'd allow him to finish his story in a season 2 of the Snyder-verse. I was never really a DC fan growing up outside of Superman and Batman, but this movie won me over. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has a role to play. The characters are significant and matter to the plot. I will admit that I jumped through some of the exposition scenes that were from the theatrical cut that dragged on a bit, but other than that I didn't feel like I watched a 4+ hour movie. One of the worst parts of this movie is that Eisenberg is still Lex Luther.....can't really change that though, unfortunately. I could do without the added gore and cursing as it just felt excessive and unnecessary. The sequel setting up epilogue scenes that follow the closing voice over scenes weren't really necessary imo. I would have left those as teasers for season 2. It looks like we'll be able to get our hands on physical copies of this cut in the summer. I'll be buying it to see if I can do a trimmed edition that tones it down a bit.

I think the main connection I had to this film and what rose it above the mediocrity that the other DC ventures, and many of the Marvel ventures have, was the overwhelming themes of grief and hope. The visuals, characters, music, and narrative all were immersed in these two themes. This is completely understandable as this whole production was dedicated to Synder's daughter. I hope the Snyder's have found a sense of healing and hope in this process. Grief is a cycle that does not end, it is only endured. "Heal, Love, Win. The time is now" As one of many who have lost loved ones, this resonates to the core. 7.895/10

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the first 1:50 of the Snyder Cut last night, stopping it at a chapter break, and finishing the rest this afternoon. In general, it was an improvement over the theatrical cut. None of the scenes that Whedon reworked were better than the Snyder versions. However, I have six main complaints:
  1. At 4 hours the movie was just too long. Lots of establishing shots could have been cut down significantly. I think you could cut at least 30 minutes with "Aerodynamik" cuts.
  2. Slow-motion was way overused. I would cut every instance with it except for the shots of the Flash to illustrate the speed force. I'm not sure how much runtime it added, but it has to be several minutes.
  3. The CG was awful. So much looked like video game cut scenes, especially the long ancient battle that WW narrates, but really anything with Darkseid or Steppenwolf, and almost everything underwater. The one effect that was actually pretty impressive was the weird monolith that housed the Motherboxes and sort of transformed into a melting statue of DeSaad.
  4. The epilogue scene with the Joker was absolutely pointless, it was way too long, and the dialogue was atrocious. I would cut it entirely.
  5. The whole plot really didn't make sense. Darkseid visited Earth thousands of years ago, and the first thing he did was hit the ground and produce the anti-life equation (side-gripe: terrible name). He then imediately lost a battle, which resulted in him losing the Motherboxes. Now in the present, he's sending out people to find the boxes and re-discover the anti-life equation? Did he just forget where he was when he lost the boxes? Did he forget how write the equation?
  6. The new soundtrack was awful. The new instrumental parts were fine, but the songs with vocals were so bad that at several points I literally laughed out loud.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The whole plot really didn't make sense. Darkseid visited Earth thousands of years ago, and the first thing he did was hit the ground and produce the anti-life equation (side-gripe: terrible name). He then imediately lost a battle, which resulted in him losing the Motherboxes. Now in the present, he's sending out people to find the boxes and re-discover the anti-life equation? Did he just forget where he was when he lost the boxes? Did he forget how write the equation?
This is a head scratcher for me too. How does one forget the location/name of the ONLY planet to have ever defeated you? Especially when it holds the one thing in all of the Multiverse you desire? I think Diana had some throwaway line about "forgetting" but it made zero sense to me. Clearly, in a fan edit, one would have to cut the moment The Anti-Life Equation is revealed to Darksied (or Uxas, as he was called back then...) .

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Slow-motion was way overused. I would cut every instance with it except for the shots of the Flash to illustrate the speed force. I'm not sure how much runtime it added, but it has to be several minutes.
That's definitely Snyder's style. I have to say though, in some instances the slow-mo really made the shot look like it was straight out of a comic book, so it didn't bother me that much. You also know what you're getting into with Snyder and overly excessive slow-mo.

The CG was awful. So much looked like video game cut scenes, especially the long ancient battle that WW narrates, but really anything with Darkseid or Steppenwolf, and almost everything underwater. The one effect that was actually pretty impressive was the weird monolith that housed the Motherboxes and sort of transformed into a melting statue of DeSaad.
No disrespect, but has there ever been a heavily CGI'd film that wasn't followed by the "CGI was awful" comment? :p

The epilogue scene with the Joker was absolutely pointless, it was way too long, and the dialogue was atrocious. I would cut it entirely.
If nothing comes from this, then yes it was pointless, but it was always meant to take us into the next 2 films, so it wasn't completely pointless. I'm really surprised you had a problem with the dialogue because I thought it was peak Joker for Jared Leto.

The whole plot really didn't make sense. Darkseid visited Earth thousands of years ago, and the first thing he did was hit the ground and produce the anti-life equation (side-gripe: terrible name). He then imediately lost a battle, which resulted in him losing the Motherboxes. Now in the present, he's sending out people to find the boxes and re-discover the anti-life equation? Did he just forget where he was when he lost the boxes? Did he forget how write the equation?
Yeah I definitely agree with you here! I couldn't understand it and feel like we should know more as to why he couldn't remember where it was. It probably would've been better if he hadn't found it during his fight in the Age of Heroes segment.

The new soundtrack was awful. The new instrumental parts were fine, but the songs with vocals were so bad that at several points I literally laughed out loud.
It fit the movie better than Elfman's IMO, but you weren't into Amazon yodeling lol?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Complete agree. While I found the Darksied plotline cool it was completely illogical. The only way I could rationalize it was
assuming the injury Uxas sustained, having being inflicted by a literal God, took thousands of years to heal. Darksied's minions had no hope of defeating the Alliance alone so while Uxas convalesced they maintained his presence in the universes conquering other planets. That said it was very very lazy writing. Especially the anti-life equation which seems to me to have been created by Darksied himself?!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Complete agree. While I found the Darksied plotline cool it was completely illogical. The only way I could rationalize it was
assuming the injury Uxas sustained, having being inflicted by a literal God, took thousands of years to heal. Darksied's minions had no hope of defeating the Alliance alone so while Uxas convalesced they maintained his presence in the universes conquering other planets. That said it was very very lazy writing. Especially the anti-life equation which seems to me to have been created by Darksied himself?!
More info surrounding the Anti-Life Equation would've certainly helped us in understanding events. I mean, there was 4 hours to kill!

Top Bottom