• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Justice League - Ultimate Edtion

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Instead of looping it or go to the other extreme and having a still for the entire duration of the short dialog, why don’t you do a little of both?

As human beings, we generally aren’t perfectly still, so during the short duration of the dialogue that the card is shown, have a still image for the first 25% of it, the have the cad rock back and forth very slightly (not looping) for the next 50% of the duration, but adjust the speed of the slight movement to match the duration needed, then finish up with another still for the last 25%. I think will give it a more natural feel to it

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems a little robotic in nature (the card movement) but otherwise it works well...

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's an alternate version with me basically animating some stills

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first shot would work really well if you freeze frame it before it gets too high. About halfway through, before you can see the knuckle. I think if you did that, and maybe trimmed a few frames from the second shot, it would be damn near perfect.

EDIT: Watched it again, and it looks unnatural for him to tap it so many times. It looks like you have it looped so he taps it 8 times, but I think this shot would work fine if you cut it in half.

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be honest, everyone, including me may be overthinking it, but perhaps a still shot is what would work best. Part of the problem is too much movement at the same rate seems very robotic. The only way to compensate for that using the source is to a) only have very little movement, and/or b) adjust the speed of the movement slightly like a bell curve or even just one side of the bell curve.

Other than that (and definitely not a knock on your efforts... after all, the limiting factor is the source), I think it looks great.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
The first shot would work really well if you freeze frame it before it gets too high. About halfway through, before you can see the knuckle. I think if you did that, and maybe trimmed a few frames from the second shot, it would be damn near perfect.

EDIT: Watched it again, and it looks unnatural for him to tap it so many times. It looks like you have it looped so he taps it 8 times, but I think this shot would work fine if you cut it in half.

Are you refering to the first or 2nd clip, none-the-less I have reduced the 2nd shot slightly to keep it from looking robotic

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
heathen3017 said:
To be honest, everyone, including me may be overthinking it, but perhaps a still shot is what would work best. Part of the problem is too much movement at the same rate seems very robotic. The only way to compensate for that using the source is to a) only have very little movement, and/or b) adjust the speed of the movement slightly like a bell curve or even just one side of the bell curve.

This.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking good so far, Bobson. I currently own the film on Blu-ray, so I think I'll make this my go-to version. Have you contemplated colour correcting the deleted footage? :)

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a clip of the "More more or more less" scene edited into something usable. I'm not sure where I would position it in the film, but if I can, I'll slot it somewhere

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'Il take a crack at those shots of the card tomorrow after work. I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure it'll work. We'll see how it pans out, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

I think the "more more" scene could fit well after the conversation at the lake, perhaps. They're already together, the next scene of Bruce is him going to see Barry and the next scene of Diana is her looking up Cyborg. I guess the other option would be to place it right before the Atlantean Mother Box scene, but I haven't watched the film recently (been too focused on MoS and BvS) so I'm not entirely sure how it would flow.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
I'Il take a crack at those shots of the card tomorrow after work. I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure it'll work. We'll see how it pans out, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

I think the "more more" scene could fit well after the conversation at the lake, perhaps. They're already together, the next scene of Bruce is him going to see Barry and the next scene of Diana is her looking up Cyborg. I guess the other option would be to place it right before the Atlantean Mother Box scene, but I haven't watched the film recently (been too focused on MoS and BvS) so I'm not entirely sure how it would flow.

I'll be looking forward to see what you're doing with the card, and as for the more more scene, I think if I have it after the lake and then move the entire Aquaman segment to there and then the Flash recruitment after that

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An alternate opening replacing the dreadful Superman phone footage. This was in the Ultimate Fan Edition by YourMovieFix, but I've updated it visually by using some IMAX shots and regrading the Flash footage to remove the yellow tint. 

I may/may not use this in this particular edit, maybe a fanfix down the line.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Couldn't sleep. Tinkered with the footage a bit. I created what I thought was the smoothest motion I could by rearranging frames, masked the freeze frame of the hand so the background keeps moving, and exported it with Smart Resample enabled at double NTSC framerate. Then, I imported it into a fresh project and time stretched it a little. It isn't perfect, and honestly I don't think this footage will be anything more than workprint-y unless we get an official full release later on. Anyway, here it is. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MXQNev3pmH_5mv-99Ej5AT1bhsbKt58k/view?usp=sharing

I like the alternate opening, but I still feel like the Knightmare sequence doesn't work there, either. I'd keep the flash bit, maybe show a couple flashes of the terraforming shots from the third act instead of the Knightmare stuff. Also I'd trim the Flash's lines about Lois, too. I feel like those lines would only make sense if the Knightmare happened in between the team agreeing to try to resurrect Supes but before they go to do it. I dunno, I'm probably overthinking it.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
Couldn't sleep. Tinkered with the footage a bit. I created what I thought was the smoothest motion I could by rearranging frames, masked the freeze frame of the hand so the background keeps moving, and exported it with Smart Resample enabled at double NTSC framerate. Then, I imported it into a fresh project and time stretched it a little. It isn't perfect, and honestly I don't think this footage will be anything more than workprint-y unless we get an official full release later on.
Certainly looks better than any of my attempts, good job! 

Crimson713 said:
I like the alternate opening, but I still feel like the Knightmare sequence doesn't work there, either. I'd keep the flash bit, maybe show a couple flashes of the terraforming shots from the third act instead of the Knightmare stuff. Also I'd trim the Flash's lines about Lois, too. I feel like those lines would only make sense if the Knightmare happened in between the team agreeing to try to resurrect Supes but before they go to do it. I dunno, I'm probably overthinking it.

I think Flash's lines work well because they both establish Lois as important later on and encourages Bruce to assemble the team. The Knightmare stuff also reminds us that BvS still happens as this film largely ignores it and it makes sense if we see Bruce's dream as he is talking about it. And those first two shots really mesh well together. Not sure about adding some of the terraforming stuff from later, but I'll see.

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:

I concur.

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
@"heathen3017" Any thoughts on the alternate opening?

To be honest, I don’t like it. For one, there is no context on the person screaming for Lois Lane. Who is it, why are they screaming? Etc...

I also may be in the minority’s, but I actually like the ‘phone footage’ of Superman. First it shows he’s personable and approachable instead of like most celebrities (or Batman for instance). In addition, this approachability gives explanation to the worldwide outpouring of heartfelt sincerity about his death. (For instance, would that same outpouring come for Batman?). It also shows his love of and connection with humanity in general and coincides with his desire to save humans in harm’s way in the town before the final battle. Yes, it’s a tad hokey, but I think that is why it’s needed....

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
heathen3017 said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:
@"heathen3017" Any thoughts on the alternate opening?

To be honest, I don’t like it. For one, there is no context on the person screaming for Lois Lane. Who is it, why are they screaming? Etc...

I half agree with this. I really like the idea and the cut, but having him dream of Flash makes little sense when he doesn't even know what Flash can do yet. But because I don't like to give critique without offering solutions: You could maybe keep the Knightmare scenes with the narration and cut to Bruce at the dinner table with Amanda Waller where he grabs the files on Barry/Arthur/June Moon. This way you don't get the "huh?" from seeing Flash time-traveling, but you do get a setup for how Bruce is managing to track down these people.

Top Bottom