• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

JUSTICE LEAGUE THE UNITY EDITION

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jlu-POSTER.jpg

I have a deep life long love for DC Comics and their heroes. And since I have been experiencing their adventures for almost 5 decades, I view DC's iconic heroes with a very specific lens. While I was initially very excited for a Big Screen adaptation of the Justice League, I was ultimately frustrated and disappointed by BOTH versions. In particular, I do not like Snyder's interpretation of Superman. Thus, I decided to make my own version by uniting the elements I enjoyed from each film and trying to give them a new tone that appeals to my Bronze Age sensibilities.

My approach was story and character first, cool stuff second.
Balance drama with light heartedness while eliminating the more moronic moments.
Focus on making our characters more classically heroic instead of grimdark by lots of little trims and new underlying music.
For better or worse, I used the Arrowverse as my inspiration and model.

I don't like to give detailed cut lists, as I think surprise should be part of the viewing experience.

But I will say this:
Almost every scene is a unity of Snyder and Whedon footage.
The entire fan edit has been given a new colour grading.
The fan edit builds towards the Whedon third act.
The first hour is completely reorganized/restructured.

There is tons of new and/or swapped music;
--Whedon scenes now have Snyder music and Snyder scenes have Whedon music
--new music themes for Cyborg (Tron Legacy) and The Flash (from the television series)
--there are FOUR needle drop/James Gunn style scenes.
And it should be noted, stylistically I prefer the music to be loud in the foreground with SFX at the bare minimum in these types of scenes.
Why do I like it this way? Blame Airwolf! lol (also, technically it makes hiding original soundtrack bleed easier)

There are Custom End Credits
There are THREE post-credit scenes
Fan Edit Runtime: 2 Hours 16 Minutes
15G MP4 File

If you want to explore the evolution of this fan edit, then I encourage you to check out the original In The Works Thread:
https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/bionic-justice-league-trailer-pg-13.24454/

PM me if you want to become a fan of justice. 😁

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU @spence for taking the time to post a review.

I can completely appreciate your dislike of Needle Drop scenes. They certainly are not for everyone. I am a big James Gunn fan, so there is no denying his style had some influence on me. Also, I am a television addict, and I must admit I am sucker for when shows like Smallville or the various Arrowverse do their Needle Drop montages. 😁

It is interesting, that on the surface, both Snyder and Gunn, share many similarities as filmmakers. They are both very visually/stylisticall distinct, they both favour darker mature narratives and they both love using modern/pop music in their films. And yet tonally, they are as different as night and day. Gunn, for me, has a better appreciation for earnest and heartfelt characters. For me his characters fall closer to the classic hero mold that I like than Snyder.

rOPcZavm.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Zarius many THANKS for your review. :)

I totally agree that Johnny Cash's "HURT" has become very over saturated in movies and tv shows. And I did consider going another way with that scene, but at the end of the day, I had to be true to myself. My parents love Johnny Cash, and his music has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. And his "HURT" is a masterpiece for me. It is the most powerful sad song I have ever experienced. To this day, despite having heard it hundreds of times, if it plays, I still get choked up. I am such a softie..... 😂 :ROFLMAO: 😂

lyJqZObt.jpg

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU @spence for taking the time to post a review.

I can completely appreciate your dislike of Needle Drop scenes. They certainly are not for everyone. I am a big James Gunn fan, so there is no denying his style had some influence on me. Also, I am a television addict, and I must admit I am sucker for when shows like Smallville or the various Arrowverse do their Needle Drop montages. 😁

It is interesting, that on the surface, both Snyder and Gunn, share many similarities as filmmakers. They are both very visually/stylisticall distinct, they both favour darker mature narratives and they both love using modern/pop music in their films. And yet tonally, they are as different as night and day. Gunn, for me, has a better appreciation for earnest and heartfelt characters. For me his characters fall closer to the classic hero mold that I like than Snyder.

rOPcZavm.jpg
I was going to say that his Dawn of the Dead comes to mind as the Zack Snyder film that feels the most similar to James Gunn... But then l remembered that's because Gunn wrote it. In looking it up to confirm that, l did see a thing mentioning that the two are actuall good friends, which l think is neat. The two directors' styles is a really interesting thing to compare in any case.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Zarius many THANKS for your review. :)

I totally agree that Johnny Cash's "HURT" has become very over saturated in movies and tv shows. And I did consider going another way with that scene, but at the end of the day, I had to be true to myself. My parents love Johnny Cash, and his music has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. And his "HURT" is a masterpiece for me. It is the most powerful sad song I have ever experienced. To this day, despite having heard it hundreds of times, if it plays, I still get choked up. I am such a softie..... 😂 :ROFLMAO: 😂

lyJqZObt.jpg
Thanks for explaining how much the song means to you @bionicbob , it makes the choice better understood, and it provides more insight into how 'personal' each component of this edit (right down to making it reflect the Bronze Age) is to you.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks @DarkLordRyan for taking the time to post a review and sharing your personal history/view of the Snyder and Whedon cuts.
I always find that stuff fascinating; the way we connect with material and how it shapes us.

Hc9v17Tm.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Totally forgot to say thank you to @Dwight Fry for his super review.

I jokingly stated in my edit description that I blame AIRWOLF for how I like my big music moments to play out -- the music loud in the foreground, with little to no foley sfx.

But it really is not a joke.

I was 14 when the television series AIRWOLF premiered on CBS in 1984 and it knocked my socks off!

A lone, ruthless Vietnam Vet is recruited to steal back the most advanced, deadliest, fastest attack helicopter ever built. (ok, it was a Firefox rip-off lol) While many of the tropes in the show are now familiar ones, at the time, this was innovative and bold tv, especially for an action show.
And one of the most memorable and powerful elements of the series was the score by Sylvester Levay.

In the final act of every episode (especially in season one), when our hero Sinjin Hawke (best hero name ever!!!) flew Airwolf into battle, the theme score would swell up and all other sounds would diminish or disappear (with the exception of the rush of the rocket or gunfire or explosion) and just the music would drive the scene and masterfully manipulate your emotions. As I said, at 14, this had a fundamental and formative impact on me. I had never seen anything like if before and I completely fell in love with that style and I still love it to this day. And if you are going to fan edit something... well as we always say... fan edit for yourself first and do what you love. 😁

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Totally forgot to say thank you to @Dwight Fry for his super review.

I jokingly stated in my edit description that I blame AIRWOLF for how I like my big music moments to play out -- the music loud in the foreground, with little to no foley sfx.

But it really is not a joke.

I was 14 when the television series AIRWOLF premiered on CBS in 1984 and it knocked my socks off!

A lone, ruthless Vietnam Vet is recruited to steal back the most advanced, deadliest, fastest attack helicopter ever built. (ok, it was a Firefox rip-off lol) While many of the tropes in the show are now familiar ones, at the time, this was innovative and bold tv, especially for an action show.
And one of the most memorable and powerful elements of the series was the score by Sylvester Levay.

In the final act of every episode (especially in season one), when our hero Sinjin Hawke (best hero name ever!!!) flew Airwolf into battle, the theme score would swell up and all other sounds would diminish or disappear (with the exception of the rush of the rocket or gunfire or explosion) and just the music would drive the scene and masterfully manipulate your emotions. As I said, at 14, this had a fundamental and formative impact on me. I had never seen anything like if before and I completely fell in love with that style and I still love it to this day. And if you are going to fan edit something... well as we always say... fan edit for yourself first and do what you love. 😁
Your connection to this is reminiscent of mine with Miami Vice. The In the Air Tonight scene from the pilot and the boat scenes traveling to and from Calderone in the 2 parter Hit List and Calderone’s Return were huge inspiration in the way I saw movies and TV going forward. At 13-14, this was like the coolest thing I had ever seen (and still is!).

Edit: For some clarification, I was actually born in 1984 and discovered Miami Vice through watching Nash Bridges and hearing this guy (Don Johnson) was in some other show called Miami Vice that was similar. I rented the Miami Vice pilot movie from Blockbuster as well as the season 2 opener/movie The Prodigal Son and was instantly hooked (You Belong to the City FOR THE WIN!). I was fortunate enough to catch a lot of the show on reruns.

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your connection to this is reminiscent of mine with Miami Vice. The In the Air Tonight scene from the pilot and the boat scenes traveling to and from Calderone in the 2 parter Hit List and Calderone’s Return were huge inspiration in the way I saw movies and TV going forward. At 13-14, this was like the coolest thing I had ever seen (and still is!).
oh yes! MIAMI VICE!!!! Also 1984! What a year! And also a BIG impact on me and how I view the combining of music and imagery to tell a story. Essentially a One-Two Punch in terms of influences on me.

Thanks for sharing Ed! Dang it, I think I need to watch some classic Miami Vice tonight! :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those who may have not followed this project while it was IN THE WORKS, I figured I would post a couple sample clips over the next few days .....

The following is my AQUAMAN Needle Drop/James Gunn/Music Video scene lol
NOTE: This is the UNFINISHED version and does not fully represent how it appears in the final edit.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To give you a better sampling of this edit, I present to you the first 10 minutes....
Uniting of Snyder and Whedon footage, new colour grading, and new music....

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While this fan edit uses Whedon' third act, I do want to assure potential viewers that the more moronic moments have been cut... ;) :p lol

"Do you talk to fish?"

"I don't... not like you..."

😁

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU @drvrjon for your review.

this version reminded me why i liked dc comics back in my younger years and overall why i like superhero movies and tv shows.

^ This gave me a big old SMILE. I am so happy it was a fun watch for you. 😊

jG66zmwt.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom