• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Just before dawn: ultimate composite

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The image quality of the is a bit milky, but overall good, no stuttering and no too rough cuts. A few things still should be mentioned: At one point Blade is clearly speaking, but no sound comes from him, which is a pretty bad flaw and should have been avoided by all means. Another rather bad thing was when Quinn in the butcher-disco directs the guards to Blade by pointing at him from behind them. The scene is just too long, so you realize, something liek dialogue is missing here. Overall cutting Quinn the way it was done was not as successful as probably intended. Quinn is still irritating and strange, but much less over the top, which is good.
So this edit gets 3 of 5 for editing and image quality from me.

the audio quality was kind of good. I had difficulties with loud and silent scenes and was forced to use the remote control a lot to understand what was spoken in the more quiet scenes and then reduce the volume again for loud action scenes. This was annoying and shoudl have been avoided. Other than that I did not spot any rough audio cuts, which is great.

editing: 3 of 5
image quality: 4 of 5
audio quality: 3 of 5

Entertainment:

Well, to me this was not as good as the original. The intention of a more serious atmosphere worked, but it somehow was not good for the flow of the movie. Deacon Frost is not as mad and stupid as he is in the original. Quinn is far less important and also far less annoying, but still his presence is not a good one. Overall I found this now to serious. The ending was executed very well. I loved to not see the completely over-the-top original ending.
3 of 5

Extras:

There is one extra on the DVD, but to me it is not wirth mentioning. The overall authoring of the DVD is amateurish and has no love to detail, the links are pink and it all looks like it was done rather fast. The info file contains all the cuts, but little to the intention.
3 of 5

resulting in
3 of 5 from me.

synopsis: an average fanedit. Some flaws, some nice ideas.

kemposato

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to hear you didn't care for it as much as the original, boon. This post is intended not at all as a rebuttle but simply a courteous defense of my own work.

I looked back at the part with Quinn you're talking about and I agree... in retrospect it's too long and feels incomplete. Perhaps it's foley sound of footsteps that's missing versus dialogue--or maybe both :p. I don't have much choice but to own up to that one.

As for the part where Blade is mouthing but not speaking, you might be referring to the part in the duel where Blade mouths "what the f*ck?" IF this is the "missing speech of Blade" part, it is in fact NOT missing but was indeed never there to begin with and quite intentionally so as it is an homage to another martial arts movie. Otherwise, I'd love to know where that part is to find out what I overlooked!

As for the video quality, with the real DVD I must admit I was less than impressed with the video quality. The decoded video stream was contained in less than an entire layer of the DVD, so it wasn't great material to begin with. The entirety of the video was direct-stream-copied with zero recompression (save about two or three brief shots) in Womble, so, theoretically, what you see on this DVD is exactly what you should see on the "official" DVD.

I am relieved to hear you didn't notice any rough cuts in the audio! And I thank you for mentioning it! As for the DVD authoring, I must claim "newbie" as this is the first DVD for which I have ever used authoring software.

I think I've said my peace now and hopefully not offended anyone in the process. Love it or hate it, please post your own thoughts! I shall sit back and take the flogging with a cool head 8)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep, I am referring to the "what the fuck". It is VERY irritating to see him mouth it so clearly and not hear it. Now it might be intentional, but it looked and appeared like a flaw. I hope my review was not too harsh. I in no way intended to be unfair.
I think you have a great potential as a faneditor. The way you edited the finale of the fight with "la magra" was wonderful.

kemposato

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Too harsh? Not at all--I thought it was very fair and I appreciate the honest feedback! And certainly, I appreciate the compliment as well. Just thought I'd point out those things that were beyond my control :)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just before dawn
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082592/

NAME OF FILM: Just Before Dawn
NAME OF EDIT: Just before dawn: Ultimate Extended Composite

FILMS RELEASE DATE - 1980 (possibly 1981)
EDIT RELEASE DATE - Nov 2007

US RUNNING TIME - 91 mins
UK RUNNING TIME - 93 mins
NEW RUNNING TIME - 100 mins

PURPOSE OF THE EDIT - to take all known footage and put it all
together making one super length and hopefully truly uncut version
of the film

SOURCES: US Paragon vhs tape (long known as the uncut version)
and the rare UK alternate edition

DVD SPECS - technically this is a full frame film (more info on my disc about this). A lot of info, and some extras which includes comparisons between the US and UK versions. NTSC format. DVD-ROM content with cover art

PERSONS INVOLVED - 1

TIME IT TOOK - a few days of painstakingly playing each version only a few seconds at a time to make sure I did not miss any footage

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't know that the US SE version is cut, usually companies release these kind of horror films uncut. Good luck with this edit. When I was younger, I used to rent this stuff all the time, and was always confused about which of these films was which:, "Just Before Dawn", "The Forest" and "Don't go in the Woods".

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if it makes you feel better all three have had very nice special editions released on dvd (US).

Shriekshow is not fully responsible for the JBD two disc cut down release. I spoke with director Jeff Lieberman a few years back at a convention. He was telling me that he does not own the rights to the film nor does any studio (actual negative master rights). To quote him "some rich guy owns it and is asking too much money". Shriekshow used the best copy that they were legally allowed to use. So yes it does look nice and is widescreen but cut down.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Officially started working on this one. Will be doing so in the background of other projects i want to do before this. In other words it will take longer than usual but eventually will get done. The UK alternate cut was just prepared now and will reinsert the extra scenes into the US paragon vhs version.

Step two will then take the footage from the above and mix it with the US shriek show dvd

HorrorFan82

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude! I LOVE this movie! One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE HORROR FILMS! (And this is coming from someone who literally owns over 2000 of them!)

I've been following your threads about this, and I'm VERY happy to read that you began work on it! This is the most anticipated release on here for me in a LONG time!!!

BTW, I own the US Paragon VHS, the US Beta Tape and the Shriek Show DVD...and it'll be nice to finally see a WIDESCREEN & UNCUT version!

Keep us updated!

-Retro Horror Remix

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
while preparing today I stumbled across this. You may want to track this down (I posted this on the imdb.com forum and sent the info into them as well)

"Hey guys I just submitted this info over to the imdb.

in a nutshell: I am making a composite of all the versions into one film.

sources being used are

the shriek show 2 disc set (US ntsc)
the UK dvd (minor extra scenes not in any known US version**)
the US paragon vhs tape (still the lognest version out there)

New source I have to fully check out:
the version that came on the 4 disc set called "horror classics" released by Platinum dvd (US). I had this disc this for a few years (disc was made in 2003) but never fully checked it out. I bought it because the set featured the film, though it looks horrible (worse than UK dvd) and because it was recalled due to rights issues shortly after its release (platinum did not have the rights to the film)

I just prepared the UK version for my project and then I recalled the platinum disc. I fished it out and sure enough this US edition has the alternate scenes that appear on the UK disc. Though it runs 3 mins shorter than the UK version. I have to verify if the platinum disc was sped up or actually just cut down further than the UK disc

I am mentioning this because not all of you can play PAL dvds or have region free players (though using your PC you can overcome this), but if you want to see roughly the UK dvd version with this minor extra footage, hop on ebay or other places and track down the platinum dvd. The case list the wrong info and tells you that it is the 1946 just before dawn film. Ignore that it is not true. The 1981 slasher version is what really appears on the disc"

HorrorFan82

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes...I remember like 2 or 3 years ago when that happened! I searched EVERY store near me but couldn't track down that compilation. However, I CAN play multiregions so I COULD just save myself the trouble and order the UK disc...but now that you're doing this edit, I won't need to now!:)

-Retro Horror Remix

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the real hassle is after this is all done, I am going to comapre it to the platinum dvd to fully verify that their is nothing else that may be in it that is not in the other versions.

You know if some "rich jackass" actually gave the true negative rights back to Leiberman I wouldn't have to go through this mess. He does not even own his own film. This is another reason why the shriek show dvd was cut down. It was the best condition print they were legally able to obtain

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
started editing this and immediately after the opening credits the UK disc has extra footage (more woods, longer cabin opening). Their was also some extra footage shortly after this in the Church (this is about where I am right now).

What I found intersting about this is that the UK version does not have any of the short music ques that appear on the US version (paragon tape). I am pretty sure the shreik show dvd set had these ques as well. If this is the case, it might be possible to say that the UK disc might have been a near final rough version of the film. This would explain it's condition as well as the lack of music ques

Either way if the extra footage shows up every five and ten seconds like it is doing now, this might take even longer than I expected it to.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
20 mins into it and I am taking a break from it today. HUGE amount of extra footage of when the camper is driving up to the site in the woods as well a scene rearrangement that apppears on the paragon version (UK disc has scene in proper order). Also the UK disc has dialogue were the US version has blondie music on top and vice versa. Very interesting.
keep you posted--

I am also contemplating on whether or not I should mix this in with the shriek show dvd. The SS dvd looks great and is widescreen, but then doing this composite and the constant jumping between sources (three so far) all with varying quality levels, might prove to be more distracting then actually helping the film.

phaota

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kempo, I love this edit of yours. Really well done. I like the more serious tone you gave it. Granted, the comedic elements of the original were cool, but this was meant to be more of a serious film to begin with. Only noticed four niggly edit areas in it. Two when Blade drops Karen off in the alley near the beginning of the film and two during Frost's talk with Blade above the La Magra chamber when everyone arrives in the location. Other than that, flawless cutting. Awesome job. Almost finished with a new DVD cover and disc label. I liked yours, but desired something more on the line of the official case jacket, though not with the same art. Looks really good so far. I'll send it to Boon when complete and your way if desired.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
about 50 mins into it. I am actually keeping track this time of what has been added.

So far the UK cut added in roughly 14 extra/extended scenes. Some of these are literally only a few seconds long while others are short sequences. Interestingly enough, the UK version ommited an entire sequence of when the campers are swimming in the water. It cut out the whole thing of the killer going into the water and grabbing Megan, then the ranger meeting with the preacher (from the very beginning of the film) and the start of the camp party dance scene (UK cuts into the middle of this and then gives us more footage)

It also seems that extra footage appears in the UK version roughly every -4-5 mins or practically every scene sequence change. By the same standard you can say the paragon tape edited these out (nicely, not rough) for whatever reason

I am still trying to decide what to do with some of the music ques that appear in the US and not the UK (and now vice versa). I might leave this as is for posterity and if the disc has room include those scenes with the music que differences as an extra. This will also include if any scene rearranging was done as well

lastly some of you will not like me for this, but I AM NOT going to mix it in with the shriek show US disc. Though the shriek show disc is very nice looking and in widescreen (I truly believe it is over matted to a 1:85:1. I think the film may have actually been a 1:77 or 1:75 ratio instead, see pic link below for my comparison) but the constant jumping between the three sources and their varying quality (video and audio) will be quite distracting. The crappy PAL footage is closer on terms with the US paragon tape (my tape was in very good condition, I was lucky to have aquired it) and since the paragon tape is still the most complete version out there, mixing it just with that will work out better in the end

US widescreen shriek show dvd on top, US paragon full frame/pan/scan tape on bottom
hit9eoy0z9.jpg

HorrorFan82

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think just excluding the SS DVD is the best option. Especially when we're talking an additional scene/extended every 4-5 minutes!

And if you look carefully at those pics you posted, you can actually see MORE on the left and right sides of the DVD, LESS on the top bottom. Vice versa for the VHS, so TECHNICALLY we are getting about the same amount of picture with either version. Like the old man's foot is not even IN the picture on the DVD, but you see more of the steering wheel and the window.

I'd say if it's easier to exclude the DVD version, then do it that way. All I care about is actually seeing the film with all of the footage, not so much more of the friggin' steering wheel.

-Retro Horror Remix

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shortly after I posted I came acorss two more added uk scenes each about 4 seconds long and within less then 3 mins of each other.

I am literally watching about 1-two mins a time of one version and then the same for the other, and getting if they are equal or not. WOOO what a pain in the ass, but yes, so worth it in the end

PS: I want to see your tcm edit but it is not up on this site nor torrents. Actually I wanted to see a few of your edits. May I suggest doing a rapid share account or contacting boon?

Top Bottom