• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Judging A.I. Voices in Fanedits

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need some advice on how to review fanedits in the future. Basically, between the end of 2023 & now, my opinion on the use of A.I. voice cloning in fanedits has changed for the worse. This isn't an issue for edits like The Rise of Skywalker - Ascendant because I have an older version without that issue. But I have a few fanedits that I either have links for or have had my eye on that use A.I. voices, and I wonder how much I should let that affect my scoring when I leave reviews. I mean, sure, the voice work might be great on a technical level, but I personally hate the use of it in general.

If the AI is obvious, you can tell it's AI, and the insertion of AI voice acting takes you out of the edit, then it makes sense to score lower. If you just don't like the use of AI, regardless of whether it fits, that's different and shouldn't impact your score.

I generally do have issues with the use of AI voice cloning in professional settings, however with the legally grey area of fanediting and the “issue”, for lack of a better word, of the consent of the filmmakers/creators… I think AI voices in fanedits are fine, since it’s all for non-profit entertainment. I’m thinking of using them myself at some point.

I generally do have issues with the use of AI voice cloning in professional settings, however with the legally grey area of fanediting and the “issue”, for lack of a better word, of the consent of the filmmakers/creators… I think AI voices in fanedits are fine, since it’s all for non-profit entertainment. I’m thinking of using them myself at some point.
That was my thinking for the longest time, too. It's just that as an amateur voice actor who has invested a lot of time in classes, seen controversies with the use of voice clones in non-profit productions, and heard about how voice actors (in the wake of the WGA/SAG-AFTRA Strikes) kinda still got screwed over in terms of contracts, my sympathies & opinions have shifted.

That was my thinking for the longest time, too. It's just that as an amateur voice actor who has invested a lot of time in classes, seen controversies with the use of voice clones in non-profit productions, and heard about how voice actors (in the wake of the WGA/SAG-AFTRA Strikes) kinda still got screwed over in terms of contracts, my sympathies & opinions have shifted.
When AI takes a job from a person who would want to do it, it's a bad deal.
But, in this instance, the editor probably doesn't have the money to spend on a voice actor.
Nobody is loosing out in this situation.

A similar response could be said for editors, actors, producers, directors and all film industry workers who have spent time and resources to get their training and exposure etc for their jobs in Hollywood who don't agree with fanediting in general. Through fanediting, we are forcing our narratives of movies and shows outside of the vision and intention of creators and without their consent. AI simply allows us more options and flexibility to achieve our forced visions within the fanediting community.

Yeah you have to remember these are fan edits, with all that entails.

I find that often editors slap in an AI voice thinking just because it sounds just like the actor it will fit the scene. It has to have the same general EQ, it has to have the right emotion and delivery. I've found it's sometimes necessary even to redub the same dialogue that comes right before or after the new AI part so it all matches up and nothing sounds out of place. And the dialogue needs to have sfx, ambience reverb, added to make it sound like the rest of the scene

As far as eq goes, there are ai tools that can already help a lot with that. But yes it's an important step to consider if you do it. That also applies if you're adding outside music too, you want it to blend with the way the rest of the score/music is mixed into the movies.

You could always note in your review your distaste for AI. You're definitely allowed to dislike it. Whether or not it affects the review score would be up to you, but either way you're being upfront about it so that readers will know where you're coming from.

Reactions: Nic
If I don't like pineapple on pizza, my enjoyment of that pizza might be lower, even if the pizza maker is a master at their craft as evident in the skills they display in their ingredient prep and how they build and present their pizza. Same idea should apply here. Just because I don't enjoy or agree with a certain aspect of an edit doesn't mean it's technically a bad edit. I just don't enjoy it. This is also why enjoyment is weighted the least as it is the most subjective of all the categories.

Back
Top Bottom