• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

John Wick: Point Blank Cut (By TM2YC)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to try and see if I can remove the female assassin 'Perkins' from the last act of the movie. It'll be tricky but worth a try.

It always felt wierd to me that she is pretty much the only person Wick doesn't kill (for no apparent reason)... plus leaving her alive turns out to be a really dumb thing to have done, resulting in two of Wick's friends being killed.

The first part of the puzzle is killing her off. Originally Wick knocks her unconscious and leaves his friend to watch her (Why?). Instead of unconscious, I've changed it to fatal neck-break...

(Password: fanedit)

Much rescoring, recutting and soundFX was needed (Church organ, neck-snap, breathing, traffic, clothes, impacts etc etc). The death happens half-way into the clip, but I've uploaded a bit of context footage (which also has a couple of trims). I think it all works and it's clear what happened. A bonus is that Perkins' dialogue about the church plays straight into the next scene.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
looks realy good.. also since he had a gun to her head, it couldve been edited so he shoots  her off camera,
you just hear the sound of the gun shot, and next scene is Wick standing in front of the church,   just a thought.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
looks realy good.. also since he had a gun to her head, it couldve been edited so he shoots  her off camera,
you just hear the sound of the gun shot, and next scene is Wick standing in front of the church,   just a thought.

Yeah, that could work too but "off camera" feels like the "fanedit" way of doing it :D .

I've heavily cut down Vigo and John's talk in the church (By 2 minutes). It still needs to have some length and weight to it but I've got it down to the bare minimum, so we go swiftly back into the action...

(Password: fanedit.org)

I've also removed John's "I'm thinking I'm back!" line, that was prominently featured in the trailers, as I don't like it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought editing this scene was going to be near impossible but it all somehow came together like a charm today :) . The loud music (featuring vocals), removing a character, removing the on-screen death of another and taking out a sub-plot from the sequence could all have made it very tricky.

So this is the death of Marcus, with his killer (Perkins) removed from the scene, his death unseen by us-the-audience and Perkins' later assassination removed too...

(FYI: The first 50 seconds or so are unedited but included for context)

I'm most please with the edit at 00.58, timing Marcus' defiant spit of blood with the drums of the Marilyn Manson song (Makes it a touch more badass :cool: ). There are 7 or 8 other edit points, some score replacement and added soundFX (Various phone FX, footsteps and a tire screech as John pulls up to add some more drama). The sequence is about 2 minutes shorter.

The original scene for comparison from youtube. However, it's been abridged (badly) by somebody at 04.28 to remove Perkin's death (How not to do audio editing folks  :D )...

The DVD art is taking shape too (I've altered the colours from my poster in the OP and a few other touches)...

31646255443_889ae12b6e_o.jpg

Just the last 10-15 minutes left to edit now, so hopefully I'm still on track to get this released before the sequel drops.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I've also removed John's "I'm thinking I'm back!" line,

+1

In the church scene, after Wick repeats "Just a dog..." I'd cut out

Viggo: Come.
Wick: Viggo...
Viggo: Yeah? (with hand gesture to the goon beghind)

It goes straight to "When Ellen died..." after Vigo's hand gesture. I imagine it would give Wick even more weight if he started talking without calling for Viggo's attention.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plissken1138 said:
In the church scene, after Wick repeats "Just a dog..."  I'd cut out

Viggo: Come.
Wick: Viggo...
Viggo: Yeah? (with hand gesture to the goon beghind)

It goes straight to "When Ellen died..." after Vigo's hand gesture. I imagine it would give Wick even more weight if he started talking without calling for Viggo's attention.

I didn't think that would be possible but it was... just. A couple of frames less material and I couldn't have done it because Vigo is going from very animated, to very still while those lines are spoken. Good suggestion! :)  Here it is...

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very noss cover, tm2ywickema.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rendering off the first test now.

The finale has been changed slightly...

- Rearranged a few of the action shots to my liking
- As with all other points in this edit, Vigo's right-hand-man isn't shown to not be able to speak any Russian whatsoever (The No2 in the Russian mob, who all primarily speak Russian... can't speak Russian. Funny but really?)
- Cut down a few of the final shots to time better with the music
- Removed Vigo landing a few blows on John. It felt silly after what we've seen of John's inhuman fighting skills, that Vigo could go toe-to-toe with him. However...
- I've also removed John stabbing himself with Vigo's knife for no apparent reason? Now Vigo just stabs John with his second lucky thrust and gets in one quick punch... then John ends him.
- Removed the final words between the two men. They just stare at each other in silence while bleeding out.
- Removed John watching a video of his wife on his phone. He now just goes straight to the vet.
- Added new simple "John Carpenter Style" white-on-black fanedit titlecard and worked it into the existing text scroll (The opening credits are also changed to b&w).
- Removed all the flashy production credits.
- Added fanedit thanks titlecard to very end.

I'll give this a watch and it should be ready to go in the black&white "noir" form. I may also do a colour version afterwards, but it will require a total regrade of every scene/shot as the existing colours are waaaay off.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it would fit the film  noir style better as B&w, like with the old hybrid cut of Payback.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
I think it would fit the film  noir style better as B&w, like with the old hybrid cut of Payback.

Yeah, 'Payback' is definitely in the same genre-ballpark as this movie.

Version-1 had a few minor things I wanted to fix...

- Finessed a few fades to black.
- I forgot to replace one of the subtitles.
- Added more subtitles for untranslated Russian dialogue. I've made some of it up based on what it seemed they should be saying in those moments (an audio translation app on my iPhone helped some... but not much :D )
- Added a gun sound to a shot of Losef in the Red-Circle club. There isn't one in the original movie. The light flash as he points his gun is really a disco light, so silence was correct technically but it looks so much like a muzzle flash, that it felt like an audio glitch to me... especially as a moment later a vase is shattered by a bullet.
- Changed the font of all my subtitles to a "fatter" one (Futura Extra Bold)
- A few other assorted tweaks but no major changes.

By the way, my cut is 80-minutes exactly, 21-minutes shorter than the original... but still with all of the action!

Rendering Version-2 now.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
congrats, man! the cover is stunning and humorous.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Plissken1138" pointed out that that I've called a character "Losef" in two subtitles and not "Iosef" or "Yusef". Bloody Russian alphabet :D . To be fair to me, out of the 31k google results for the character, 3k of them are for "Losef", so I'm not the only one to make that mistake.

I'll fix these two subs and re-upload the edit because I don't want an error being there, even if it's small. If you already got the edit I wouldn't worry, just ignore the two subs.

I'm probably going to go with "Yusef" as it reads like it sounds in English.

Thanks @"Plissken1138"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A new version is uploaded that fixes two subtitles to read "Yusef" instead of "Losef", so PM me if interested.

As I had to re-render things, I also took the opportunity to add in two shots of Marcus being killed. I'd briefly wondered if his death was perhaps too abrupt but concluded it was fine. However, feedback from @"Plissken1138" confirmed that it was too rushed. It's a 3 second difference and a minor visFX tweak to paint out Perkins from one of the shots.

You can see the change at about 01.40 in this clip...

I think I will do a colour version of the edit as a bonus, for those that would prefer that. I'm not going to do much in the way of re-grading though.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plissken1138 said:
3 seconds that make a lot of difference  :)

Indeed. Thanks for the feedback.

TM2YC said:
I think I will do a colour version of the edit as a bonus, for those that would prefer that. I'm not going to do much in the way of re-grading though.

Who was I kidding... I'm already 20 minutes into re-grading the thing :D . It won't be a massively different look (Except for one scene), just toning down the tinting when it's too blue, or too green.

acejays

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Feedback needed on this 40second clip please...

- Removed long walk across roof and down stairs to tighten pacing
- Rescored the moment
- Added phone "hang" soundfx to hopefully sound sorta like another part of the synth score
- Added phone-off soundfx

I think all that works? But the thing I really want feedback on, is that I removed Vigo's blackly-comic whispered "Oh" at around 00.21 (I felt it undercut the seriousness of the threat). To me it now just looks like he is breathing in and out. Can you tell a tiny word of dialogue is missing if you didn't know?

Thanks.

Hey, I like the edit, I think it's good. Unless you're trying to look for the cut, works great IMO. Just wondering if something like this intro audio wouldn't mix in better with the scene somehow? 
Just a thought? I always felt while you knew there was payback/revenge coming, it didn't imply it with enough impact or penny drop moment at the point of his father finding this information out. Anyway, love the work mate!
cheers
Jays

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That page 1 clip is not from the finished edit. This clip from page 2 of this thread is the one in the finished scene...

It's rescored so the music drops out at the point you mention and a hanging phone tone comes in.

I'm rendering then uploading the bonus colour version of the edit now.

Top Bottom