• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

John Dies at the End: The (slightly longer, not much better) Extended Edition

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A simple extended cut of the John Dies at the End film, 8 minutes longer than the theatrical.

So I try not to make threads for all of my spur of the moment projects, because I tend to start a lot that don't go anywhere (don't worry, my Spider-Man and Big Fish edits aren't abandoned), but this particular project I've already rendered out a first version so I guess I'm far enough along to warrant a thread.
I shall hopefully watch it later today and see if anything is out of place.

If anyone is interested in previewing this, please let me know.

-After intro riddle, cut to Dave waking up to a call from John. This is shown a bit later as a flashback in the regular film, but this is the order it's presented in the book so I figured why not
-Add deleted scene, "Do you guys like, do this a lot?"
-Removed Dave's narration from deleted scene due to poor audio quality
-Title card now occurs 12 minutes in
-Trim Arnie conversion to remove Dave's segue into the flashback
-During party scene, replace Camel Holocaust song with studio version, because why not
-Add deleted scene, "What's the weirdest thing you've ever seen Arnie?"
-Add deleted scene, after Dave gets shot wakes up to masked man on TV laughing during the fire
-Add deleted scene, "If I die..."
-Add extended scene, "Yo, she'll be able to walk up out of here if you all cooperate"
-Add deleted scene, "Imagine a garment..."
-Add deleted Marconi interview after credits

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Title suggestions:

John Dies 8 Minutes Later This Time
John Still Dies At The End

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dig the suggestions, though I was thinking something along the lines of "John Dies at the End: The ______ Edition"
Maybe I should refer something from the deleted scenes. "John Dies at the End: The Who Gives A Shit Extended Edition"

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated OP with cutlist.
I also skimmed the edit and noticed some errors, which I have just now corrected, and I have a second version rendering. Hopefully this will be the version that gets released, but we'll see when I get around to watching the thing in full. Again, if anyone wants to preview this, give me another set of eyes to look it over, lemme know.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Found a shot in one of the deleted scenes that was reused in an earlier scene, I feel the need to fix it. Now for real hopefully this becomes the last version. Goodness.
Edit: Wait no, the shot in question is repeated in the actual movie too. Boy I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started messing around on my phone at work, put together an outline for a poster. Will redo it with prettier text in photoshop when I get home, or maybe I'll end up doing something else entirely for the poster.
Looking at various posters for the film, and covers for the book, this poster (without my added text I mean) is the most appealing imo.
IMG_20220228_033318.jpg

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you want a "clever" title, how about "John Dies At The End: The Death-Deferring Extended Edition"?

Alternatively, something like "the Soy Sauce Experience"? Since the sauce lets you see things beyond the mortal realm?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Malthus, beautifully talented Malthus, he sent me this shortly after I shared my own poster mockup, and I am forever grateful for it. Malthus does a great job of making the added text match with the rest of cover. It is perfection, as is everything else that Malthus touches.
Where's the award for saying Malthus the most times within a single post?
Polish_20220228_091035788.jpg

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you want a "clever" title, how about "John Dies At The End: The Death-Deferring Extended Edition"?

Alternatively, something like "the Soy Sauce Experience"? Since the sauce lets you see things beyond the mortal realm?
Whoops didn't see this. Really appreciate the suggestions!

Dawnrazor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great Posters👍
I need to check out this film and buy the Blu-Ray so I can check out the Edit as well!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, since Malthus has already made the poster, I'll probably just continue to call it "The (slightly longer, not much better) Extended Edition", even if it isn't the most clever. It's something I came up with on the spot, and it's growing on me.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, since Malthus has already made the poster, I'll probably just continue to call it "The (slightly longer, not much better) Extended Edition", even if it isn't the most clever. It's something I came up with on the spot, and it's growing on me.

I'll happily remake the poster if you change your mind Jr

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alrighty friends, this edit is as good as it's going to get. Time to upload and submit this shit 😎
Thank you to everyone who showed interest, suggested names, or otherwise kept this thread alive.
As always, DM me for a link and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Top Bottom