• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

JOHN CARTER of MARS

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My absolute least favorite Planetary Romance series is John Norman's Counter-Earth GOR novels.
The writing is dry and academic, the philosophy it espouses in regards to women, sex, domination and slavery I found to be very insulting and degrading.

9wbx.jpg

4k11i.jpg

This series spawned two wretchedly horrible movies.... hhhmmm... so horrible I can not even find a trailer on youtube to torture you with... :p

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed your edit very much, BBob, and I owe you a review.
A friend has my original, however, and I need it for comparisons.
Overall, I thought your version was outstanding.

Can't wait for your edit of Gods Of Mars!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Can't wait for your edit of Gods Of Mars!

Yeah, you might be waiting a looooooong time for that one. :lol:

But it's great to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks buddy. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I think as far as Disney is concerned the project is dead.

My hope is the movie/tv rights will revert back to ERB and someone else will get a crack at the material.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
My absolute least favorite Planetary Romance series is John Norman's Counter-Earth GOR novels.
The writing is dry and academic, the philosophy it espouses in regards to women, sex, domination and slavery I found to be very insulting and degrading.

9wbx.jpg

4k11i.jpg

This series spawned two wretchedly horrible movies.... hhhmmm... so horrible I can not even find a trailer on youtube to torture you with... :p

You can see the whole MST3K treatment of the second movie on YouTube.

I've seen both movies, and yes, they were pretty awful indeed. Cabot? Cabot? Cabot??

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Please do not spread misinformation.
Sorry if it's not obvious to anyone that was a joke.

Blockbuster LLC, formerly Blockbuster Entertainment Inc.,[2] was an American-based provider of home movie and video game rental services, originally through video rental shops (both owned and franchised)...

Read more about it at Wikipedia.org

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Sorry if it's not obvious to anyone that was a joke.
You'd be surprised...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
You'd be surprised...
:loco: Fair enough, next time I'll use a silly smiley :humble:

:rockon:

On topic, I am going to try to get this edit this week and watch it over the weekend.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
You can see the whole MST3K treatment of the second movie on YouTube.

I've seen both movies, and yes, they were pretty awful indeed. Cabot? Cabot? Cabot??

Yeah, I don't think I hate myself enough to watch either movie ever again, even as part of MST3k. Its been over 20 years, and my eyes are still burning.... :p:p:lol: lol

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Funny enough, I like the cheap 80s B-movie look of these, and I wouldn't have minded a B-John Carter looking like this (which still beats CGIfests in my book). Of course, the rest of them is rubbish. Sad to see so many favorites (Oliver Reed, Jack Palance, Paul L. Smith, even a young Arnold Vosloo in a bit part) so dreadfully wasted.

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Yeah, I don't think I hate myself enough to watch either movie ever again, even as part of MST3k. Its been over 20 years, and my eyes are still burning.... :p:p:lol: lol

MST3K is outstanding - I've seen the Gor episode. The "cabot" thing is classic and gets mentioned in later episodes.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] has posted a very nice review on IFDB -- THANKS BUDDY!

Very happy you enjoyed it even though it is not quite the way you would have cut it but I think I enjoyed the original version considerably more than you, so there was not much I really wanted to cut from the main Barsoon narrative. Though an idea popped into my head AFTER releasing the edit... I wonder if one used portions of the various audio books and had Carter narrate the story one you alter the movie narrative more drastically???? But I still would LOVE to see your take on John Carter! We have a million Star Wars edits, I think we can use a couple more edits about the world's first cosmic pulp hero!!! :)

I agree, the movie does look much better in HD. Unfortunately, my old computer does not rip or play HD dvds. Maybe one day.... LOL.

But in a few places there were some mis-matched cuts that looked odd. e.g. .... and the excising of the old ladies speech on the walk through the city

I did not cut anything from the walk through the city. Are you perhaps thinking of the deleted scene version?

Thanks again for the very detailed review. Now get back to finishing Star Trek Reunion, I can not wait to see it!!!! :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
We have a million Star Wars edits, I think we can use a couple more edits about the world's first cosmic pulp hero!!! :)

I am tempted to have a go. I'd want to almost fully restore the deleted Dejah prologue somehow. Your mixing in of shots from elsewhere in the film gave me confidence that this could be done, probably, maybe, I think, perhaps. I'd also have to almost exactly steal your ending ;-).

bionicbob said:
I did not cut anything from the walk through the city. Are you perhaps thinking of the deleted scene version?

You didn't do an edit at 01.18.54 when the old lady is saying "excuse me"? She's looking at Carter then in the next cut she's looking forward? LOL must have been in the original film like that.

bionicbob said:
Now get back to finishing Star Trek Reunion, I can not wait to see it!!!! :D

Funnily enough I just this second instigated your suggested subtitle fixes :).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
You didn't do an edit at 01.18.54 when the old lady is saying "excuse me"? She's looking at Carter then in the next cut she's looking forward? LOL must have been in the original film like that.

Nope, no cuts by me, that is original. Now I feel bad that I missed it and did not clean it up .... :lol:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Vultual thanks for the positive review.

I think you suggestion of going with a Sepia look instead of Black and White is a very interesting one and it has planted an idea for future edit I am currently experimenting with... hee hee.

Valid point on the audio, though I did not notice the echoness as significantly as you, it is something I have noticed time to time when working with 2.0.... as always, audio edit work continues to be my arch-nemesis... lol.

Thanks again buddy for the detailed review. :)

Top Bottom