• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Jellyfin or Plex?

lev

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been using Plex as a media server for sometime but lately it's been acting up on me. I've done quite a bit of research to see how to fix its problem but that's been a challenge since I can't quite figure out what its problem is and I don't want to learn to code just to use an app.
Anyway, I've been looking for an alternative and Jellyfin seems to come up as a good one. It seems like it has the features I'd want but I just wanted to check if anyone else uses Jellyfin and what they think of it. Alternatively, does anyone have a different local media streaming server they'd recommend? Thanks, all.

Bailey

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Infuse and I love it. I think it is only available on Apple products though.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer Emby myself. Plex has sort of abandoned its original purpose, adding a lot of frills I personally don't need. I've tried Jellyfin but it's not as mature as Emby and doesn't work as smoothly as I would like. However, it has been making great strides even in the last year.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer Emby myself. Plex has sort of abandoned its original purpose, adding a lot of frills I personally don't need. I've tried Jellyfin but it's not as mature as Emby and doesn't work as smoothly as I would like. However, it has been making great strides even in the last year.
The nice thing about Emby and JellyFin is that they both use the same set up. If you have one running, you can use the same settings to on the other. I personally preferred JellyFin.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The nice thing about Emby and JellyFin is that they both use the same set up. If you have one running, you can use the same settings to on the other. I personally preferred JellyFin.
The thing that sold me on Emby was that it tries to automatically calculate bandwidth and resolution of a persons device. Since I share with about 20 people it's a lot less taxing on my server when it comes to transcoding than Plex, which defaults everyone to 720p. I'm not sure if Jellyfin behaves the same way or not.

lev

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good insights, thanks fellas. I'd heard of Emby as well. I just know Plex isn't really cutting it anymore.
Appreciate the feedback.

Top Bottom