• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

JAWS The Sharksploitation Edit

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original film name: JAWS
New film name: JAWS The Sharksploitation Edit.
Film studio name: Universal
Edit crew name: The Man Behind The Mask (special thanks to Tranzor for technical help.)
Date original film was released: 1975
Date edit was released: June 2009
Original runtime: 121 minutes
Amount of time cut: 44 minutes
Amount of time added: 27 minutes
New runtime: 104 minutes
Intention for this fanedit:
To give JAWS a kind of grindhouse feel and make the movie fun to watch for those who are not afraid to see this masterpiece being turned into something else (but it's still JAWS, I did not turn the plot upside down).
But most of all I did it for my own enjoyment. I hope it'll work for you.

- New opening credits.
- I will not list all the cuts because there are to many of them, some big and some very short.
- Grainy picture, scratches and noises. Warm and cold tint added.
- some almost entire scenes from JAWS 2 added (as well as a lots of shots from various movies and documentaries)
- Most of the deleted scenes and alternate takes are back in the movie, not all of them though; And some are a bit poor quality.
- New music here and there (70's style JAWS theme, pop, rock etc..)
- Few, but noticeable, special effects to add more blood into some shots.
- NEW ENDING (a bit cheesy, but hey, it's a grindhouse edit after all!)
- New ending credits.

Note: I add some trouble making the NTSC version frame rate perfect. It's okay though. But if you can play PAL on your home player, I'd say go for the PAL version.

Available on http://fanedit.info through Rapidshare.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds fun, Is there any added swanky 70's pimp-action music? :smile:
:lol: you aint gunna git me you jive shark muthafukka!

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
This sounds fun, Is there any added swanky 70's pimp-action music? :smile:
:lol: you aint gunna git me you jive shark muthafukka!

I used Lalo Shiffrin's Theme of JAWS (from his album The Black Widow).
And Brody says "fuck" 2 times in this edit. :smile:

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you should have shoehorned rudy ray moore into the film you jive turkey :lol: :lol: :lol:
amd_rudy_ray_moore.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:)
Well this edit already mix John Williams, Lalo Shiffrin, and 5 other bands/artists (pop.rock.metal). It's already kind of a mess music wise. But I keep Rudy Ray Moore in mind for the next one! 8)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NSFW 8)
[youtube:6lgaioj5]

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JAWS - The Sharksploitation Edit by The Man Behind The Mask - PAL DVD

This is a beautifully made FanEdit. It's greatest asset, while still showing a heathy respect for the original, is that it is very funny.

The opening title credit is hilarious.

I laughed out-loud numerous times and being a fan of the original, it somehow felt like a new movie. The use of Lalo Schifrin's Jaws theme is excellent. Lalo's disco-funk version works a treat and really sets the tone for what the FanEditor wanted to achieve with this Sharksploitation cut.

The water-ski girl sequence is brilliant. Just brilliant.

I was interested in how the amazing speech by Robert Shaw would be handled and I must say it was very satisfying. The slow fade back to colour is a great touch.

The FanEditor's imagination, detail and humour are on clear display. JAWS - The Sharksploitation Edit does not lag because every moment has received the same amount of care and attention.

Having watched the whole thing with pleasure, the FanEditor ends this grind-house masterwork with a totally new ending, which does not disappoint. In fact, it is inspired.

I cannot recommend this highly enough. It is a great version, which any fan of the original movie will love to see.I am sure Speilberg would love it too because it expresses nothing but love for the original.

This FanEdit goes straight into my top five list.

10/10 Superb! Get your car out and go to the drive-in, pronto!!!!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am glad that this edit was reviewed by someone else (Mollo) before I typed up mine. I had given a bit of input towards this edit and I sometimes feel that people will assume since you helped out on an edit, your review will be biased in its favor. This edit deserves every bit of praise that I am about to go into below

The whole idea of editing a true classic sends shivers down the spine of many. The whole idea of taking this one step further and turning a classic into a drive-in grindhouse feature might send the rest running. Admittingly I was a bit skeptical at first but, TMBTM had some interesting ideas and anything I came up with that I thought might help I sent over to him.

With quite a bit of skill and some very ingenious ideas TMBTM turned a classic into a very successful grindhouse feature

The opening alone is very reminiscent of many older Italian Jaws- rip-off films
that sprung up from the late 70's to the early 80's, and the fun joy it may bring to some of you who like that type of cinema. He captures this feeling within the first 5 seconds. I knew viewing the preview disc I was going to be in for a nice treat.

He did not just take Jaws and edit it down adding in film noise and damage. He literally went scene by scene and re-traced the original with an equalivalant low budget drive in version using most of the original film and a variety of other sources. He also enhanced this by using quite a number of deleted scenes, documentary footage and clips from other films to create new scenes entirely. On top of this, add in a completely original and new ending that came out of left field will have you yelling in your seats! This all sums up for a sure fire hit for the summer of fanediting!!!

TMBTM's particular attention to even the smallest detail is evident with the slightest change of lighting, color tints, unfocused camera and many more that most people might not even pick up the first time around. You can see this is someone who truly enjoyed the work they were creating, and spared no expense in doing what they had to in order to bring this overall visual experience to the screen and make it work

The audio is amazing and when TMBTM told me of some of his preferred audio choices, I was under the impression that this might fall into a heavy metal slasher kill deal. That thought of mine was very far from the truth. The music he chose (or actually what parts) was incredible because it really fit that 1970's to 80's atmosphere this edit was bringing across

His menus were also clever and I am sure some of you will be sitting there when this begins wondering what the hell is going on only to catch the joke and laugh along a few seconds later.

The final disc I saw had a nice bonus clip that you should watch after you view the film; otherwise you are spoiling something for yourself.
I am very proud to have helped out in any way that I could for this edit and I am hope the rest of you will find it as entertaining as I have.

Now grab some popcorn, dim the lights and watch the screen!

10 out of 10

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, thank you Mollo and Tranzor!
To quote Yoda: "it brings warm feeling to my heart"

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll give this a big 10/10 also!!! This edit is great, really fun to watch. I honestly think that this edit has set a new benchmark as far as creativity & originality goes in this still fairly new "art form". I'd love to see more projects like this in the future :grin:

YourMamaVideo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i have to say for the get go, i am a huge JAWS fan. i was very skeptic about this edit, but after watching it all i can say is, "WOW". this was wonderful. as i've gotten older i tend to watch jaws less and less, but you have struck a match under me and in the last 36 hours i've watched 1 & 2 agian. Thank you so much for all your hard work putting this edit together. 10/10 is my rating. If you like the original you should love this one. Way to Go.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonnieX said:
i have to say for the get go, i am a huge JAWS fan. i was very skeptic about this edit, but after watching it all i can say is, "WOW". this was wonderful. as i've gotten older i tend to watch jaws less and less, but you have struck a match under me and in the last 36 hours i've watched 1 & 2 agian. Thank you so much for all your hard work putting this edit together. 10/10 is my rating. If you like the original you should love this one. Way to Go.

I think that is an edit that can work well for the old fans indeed. Because part of the fun is to notice how the scenes are changed all along the movie.
But "fun" is a subjective thing and I was not sure this edit could be so well received (so far). Well, choosing JAWS I knew there would be an audience, but to please old JAWS fans is another thing!

Glad you liked it DonnieX. Thank you! :)

searcher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I agree with DonnieX, I wasn't sure about a jaws edit, but as usual I was wrong. Its an incredible edit and I would
recommend it to anyone who loves the jaws movies. So the man behind the mask with the Alice Cooper Avator deserves
10/10. Great edit!

l1zrdking

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching this edit. It was freakin awesome. I was slightly disappointed in the omission of Quint singing Farewell and Adieu, but man this was pure greatness.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
l1zrdking said:
Just finished watching this edit. It was freakin awesome. I was slightly disappointed in the omission of Quint singing Farewell and Adieu, but man this was pure greatness.
Thanks you!
Yeah I like quint singing too, but I wanted to make a shorter movie so some cool things had to go (only to enjoy them better in the original movie!)
I added some music of farewell and adieu (spanish ladies) when the three men leave the port though.

l1zrdking

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
l1zrdking said:
Thanks you!
Yeah I like quint singing too, but I wanted to make a shorter movie so some cool things had to go (only to enjoy them better in the original movie!)
I added some music of farewell and adieu (spanish ladies) when the three men leave the port though.

Yeah, I caught that, it was a nice nod to the removal of the singing scene. That was a fairly long sequence so I can understand cutting to keep the overall length down. I just love that whole sequence with the whole half assed astronaut line and the singing, but all the great things in this edit more than made up for it :D This is totally getting added to my collection proper (as soon as I get some more empty cases and glossy paper that is)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I forgot to mention the TV movie "mission of the shark" (1991) in the end credits.

AND:
I found this nice little youtube montage of a fake grindhouse trailer for JAWS and Star Wars as a double feature.

Now that I've made the grindhouse JAWS, who will make the Star Wars one? :smile:

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I should mention, though I gave a 10/10 rating I remember now that there was one tiny thing I would have changed. I think all of the music should have been kept old school, as I believe there was something modern thrown in (the big shark attack on the beach). I wasn't too crazy with the music and felt it was out of place compared to the rest of the film. I would have looked at something more 70's inspired (Black Sabbath, etc.) for that scene. That said though, that was my only gripe. I still LOVE this edit overall and recommend it to all!!!

Top Bottom