• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Jaws III: Monster by Last Survivor **now on vimeo**

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jawsteaser2.jpg

Original title: Jaws 3-D

Fanedit title: Jaws III: Monster

Studio: Universal Pictures, Alan Landsburg Productions
Faneditor: Last Survivor
Originally Released: July 1983
Fanedit released: April 2012
Original running time: 99 minutes approx
New running time: 92 minutes approx
Cut time: 14 minutes cut, 7 minutes added
Started Edit: June 2011
Completed Edit: April 2012

Synopsis and Purpose of Edit:

Welcome to Seaworld, Florida's number one aquatic theme park for the whole family. Preparations are well underway for the opening of the eagerly anticipated Undersea Kingdom - a series of underwater tunnels which will allow the public to get closer than ever to a vast array of marine life without getting wet. Unfortunately, an unwelcome visitor has made its way onto the guest list... the killing machine known as the Great White Shark has forced its way into the man made lagoon from the open ocean. Now trapped, it has but one thing on its mind - doing what comes naturally of course and eating the paying customers!

The intention of this fanedit is quite simply to embrace the "B" movie style nature of the story and ramp it up to another level. By removing as many of the obvious 3D effects as possible, replacing many of the existing "slow" movements of Bruce III with new shark effects, creating a whole new finale and many more surprises besides, hopefully Jaws III Monster will act as a fittingly monstrous disaster tribute to a much maligned cult classic. Enjoy!

Started Edit: June 2011

Completed: April 2012

Cutlist:

- Original title sequence removed - new pre-credits and title sequences created.

- Removed scene where the Sea world water-ski team "pyramid" collapses and the shark fin is then seen nearby.

- As the sea world ocean gates become jammed, cut shot of the shark fin (in an attempt to make the sharks' presence less obvious so early on)

- Moved the attack on Shelby Overman to slightly later in the edit. New shark effects added. Also cut the 3-D shot of Overman's floating severed arm after he is attacked.

- Added Rick Springfield's "Souls" as background music for Bar scene

- Removed short scene at the Bar where Kelly, Sean, Mike and Kathryn are asked who's going to pay the bill for the drinks

- Added Billy Idol's "Eyes without a Face" as background music as they leave the bar

- Have slightly trimmed and recut the sequences involving Mike & Kathryn and Sean & Kelly after they leave the bar - intercut then more with the sequences of the two would-be coral thieves which have also been trimmed.

- Attack on the coral thieves now "altered"

- Added Cheap Trick's "I Can't Take it" as background music as Mike, Kathryn and Sean have breakfast.

- Submersible search for Shelby Overman substantially trimmed. Removed as many of the poor 3D effects as possible.

- Shark chase scene trimmed. Shots of the real shark footage have been reduced as Mike and Kathryn escape the jaws of baby shark, thanks to the dolphins Cindy and Sandy. Also shortened scene of the shark crashing into the wreck of the Spanish Galleon, meaning we no longer see the inside mechanics of the shark come forward into view through its mouth.

- Cut Calvin, Fitzroyce and Jack having dinner.

- Needle spraying into camera 3D effect trimmed as Danny prepares tranquilizer for Kathryn to use against the baby shark.

- Capturing baby shark - trimmed a few shots of the real shark footage

- 3D Underwater tunnel of monsters removed

- Sean and Kelly getting into the bumper boats removed

-As Shelby's body floats into view through the portholes of the underwater tunnels, removed the part where the girl is pressed up against the porthole by some idiot behind her.

- Mother shark gets through the shark buble screen - new shark effects added.

- Removed popcorn cart chase (thanks Bob!)

- As the water-ski team collapse into the water, have added new shark effects

- Shark attacks Kelly - new shark effects added

- New shark effects added as Mother heads on a collision course towards the underwater tunnels

- Darkened scenes of Mother actually crashing into the tunnels

- Darkened scenes inside the tunnels as the water cascades in, making it appear as if the lights have failed

- Trimmed the attack on Fitzroyce and added a couple of new shark effects

- As Kathryn goes diving to help Mike as he's welding the underwater tunnels together, some new effects have been added.

- Sequence where Mother chasing Mike and Kathryn, and the dolphins attacking Mother has been severely trimmed and altered to create a new finale.

- Entire sequence where Mother crashes through the control room and then she is eventually blown up, now removed.

- New finale created.

- Super imposed shot of the dolphins as the movie ends has now been removed

Special Features:
Jaws III: Making a Monster - new documentary on the making of Jaws 3-D and the fanedit itself

Deleted Scenes

Ghost Shark - bonus fanedit of Jaws The Revenge

Audio Commentary on both Jaws III: Monster and Ghost Shark

Technical Details:

16:9 Anamorphic. NTSC. 2 x Single Layer DVD. (special features only available on Disc 2)

Dolby AC3 Stereo.

Software used: Sony Vegas Pro 9.0, DVD Architect Pro 5.0, HC Encoder, Audacity, PgC Dmux, VirtualDub, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 6

Special Thanks:

Sophie Payne, Bionic Bob, TMBTM, blueyoda, and Romain Christmann. Without all of your help, this edit would not have been possible.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
At last!!! One of my most anticipated edits of the year! Congrats on finishing, LS! :)

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's good news LastSurvivor! I'll look forward to checking out both discs of this sometime. :)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done, LastSurvivor! :)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys :) Really looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks. Been a long time coming, so I hope the wait was worth it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
YES!!!! Xmas comes early!!!

:)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sick! Congrats on finishing this bad boy! I look forward to watching it.

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't wait for the links to be made available.... This looks like a great edit....

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awwwww yeah! Congrats LS, I look forward to watching it! I tried to watch the original, but after watching about half of it in one sitting and taking a break, I never really got back to it :p I guess I'll just watch this one, and the ending will be a surprise :)

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've finished watching the edit itself. Now watching disc 2. Everything is superb. This really is worth the fanedit of the year award. I'll post a more detailed review tomorrow.

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this one :-D I've been following the diaries from the beginning and, not being an editor myself, it's helped me appreciate just how much work goes into something like this. I've got a love for all things Jaws and this has been up at the top of my list of must sees from the start, the extra short of Jaws The Revenge is the cherry on the fishcake. Thanks for putting the time in on this edit Last Survivor, I've often wondered what it would be like without the hokey 3D effects dragging it down and it's good to finally be able to find out

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I'l write a review when the fanedit will be released but I can already say that this is the most bonus filled package of a fanedit release I saw since a long time (ever?), and they are all worth getting the second DVD.
- Ghost Shark: I could not have done it better. VERY cool. (+ commentary on a bonus edit. classy.)
- Documentary: very pro looking and highly interesting (see the edit first though, full spoilers in the doc. As well, of course, as in well made commentary of the main fanedit.)
- I'm quite pleased with the small, but I think effective, changes made to the edit since I saw the workprint. Think it works better.
Congratulations on finishing and thank you.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks everyone, really appreciate your good wishes and comments :)

I've finished watching the edit itself. Now watching disc 2. Everything is superb. This really is worth the fanedit of the year award. I'll post a more detailed review tomorrow.

TM... Look forward to your full review (please don't forget to add it the edit's main page when it's properly released by the admins and mods). Edit of the year... ummm, I'm flattered, I really am.... but there's a long way to go until the end of the year my friend ;)

I've been following the diaries from the beginning and, not being an editor myself, it's helped me appreciate just how much work goes into something like this.

Cheers ghouldetail. Really was a toughie I must say, but worth every minute I spent on it. Hope it lives up to what you expect!

Okay, I'l write a review when the fanedit will be released but I can already say that this is the most bonus filled package of a fanedit release I saw since a long time (ever?), and they are all worth getting the second DVD.
- Ghost Shark: I could not have done it better. VERY cool. (+ commentary on a bonus edit. classy.)
- Documentary: very pro looking and highly interesting (see the edit first though, full spoilers in the doc. As well, of course, as in well made commentary of the main fanedit.)
- I'm quite pleased with the small, but I think effective, changes made to the edit since I saw the workprint. Think it works better.
Congratulations on finishing and thank you.

TMBTM... coming from you, the person who basically inspired much of what you see in Jaws III Monster, it means more than you can possibly imagine. Really glad you enjoyed it all :)

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll start of by saying that this review is coming from an actual fan of the first one. It was the first Jaws movie I saw because I thought it had the coolest cover :p

Anyway, I really thoroughly enjoyed both discs of this edit.

The first disc had BEAUTIFUL menus! It has a simple play and trailer, then, by clicking on play, you can either watch with the commentary or not and you see all the chapters.

The edit's opening credits were an awesome touch and didn't feel out of place at all. It really made it a whole new film. The editing is fantastic and it was really cool hearing your "radio show" :D.

The new score really adds a new, better feel to the film. And the new sound fx do not stand out at all.

I won't spoil the ending since it hasn't been released yet, but it is very clever and much better than the original.

The commentary is what I watched a couple minutes and it is very interesting and full of details.

The second disc is jam packed full of bonus content. The documentary is so amazing and flows nicely. It's like something you would see on the bio channel or e true Hollywood or something like that. It's really cool!

Then Ghost Shark is AWESOME! It is an awesome new way to watch Jaws 4: REVENGE. I really liked the black and white. It was a short, fun edit! I also recommend watching the commentary for Ghost Shark edit too! For some reason I really enjoy listening to Last Survivor talk (I'm not creepy ;-))

One thing I was worried about were the deleted scenes, because I wasn't sure if he was just going to show all he cut out, but he didn't. These are actual sequences that were reworked in the fanedit that he cut. Those were interesting to watch.

All in all I give Jaws 3: Monster a 10/10!

Congrats LS on making an edit that I replaced the original with. When I get cover art I'm putting it on my shelf next to Jaws 1 & 2!!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JAWS 3 MONSTER

And what a monster it is! A Monster of Awesomeness!!!:D

I had a great time watching this.
Unfortunately, I can not say too much, as I don't want to SPOIL any of the fun and creative narrative changes Last Survivor has made. Let me just say this is not the JAWS 3 any of you remember. It is a fun beer (root beer for those of you under 18) and popcorn B-Movie monster flick.

So what can I comment on?
The new narrative works pretty flawlessly and is completely coherent, which was a concern considering footage from other movies was included to tell this new tale of terror. Most of the new footage fits fairly seamlessly, though some do stand out a bit more than others due to colour correction not perfectly matching or the footage that is clearly from a different style of film (cgi or documentary). But this does not detract from the experience. In fact, it only enhances the b-movie experience. Especially, if you watch the edit a second time knowing the new ending, you will appreciate all these little touches even more. All the cuts and transitions are expertly done. I did not notice any real hard cuts or flash frames. All exceptionally well crafted.

From a personal stand point though, I think I would have preferred the cut Alternate Seaworld scene to the final version, as I think it would have added more to the final pay off. But that is just me. Never too much monster. LOL!:lol:

The sound work is boggling and incredible. My hat off to you good sir.
I think I would have just let Bruce eat me rather than do all the audio rebuilding you did. :-o
The opening Ski Sequence is masterful. I would never have suspected it was rebuilt from scratch. It is THAT good! Loved all the 80s pop tunes, made the movie experience even more authentic in my mind. All the audio was clean and clear and sounded awesome on my surround sound system.

So JAWS MONSTER is a fantastic Saturday Matinee ride. Highly recommended.:)

But Wait! There is more!
Holy Neptune's Trident, is there ever ALOT more!

LS provides audio commentary on Monster. First off, kudos to you to have the courage to do that. I don't think I ever would. And secondly, and more importantly, thanks for making the commentary so informative and entertaining. I really enjoyed hearing your perspective and passion for this project.

Then we have an entire second dvd of extras. These include the aforementioned deleted scenes, all of which are interesting from the creative process stand point and how an edit evolves with time. I thought the Dreamscape was an interesting notion and well crafted but completely understand why it did not make the final cut.

Along with the Deleted Scenes is an absolutely amazingly informative documentary about the history of Jaws 3 and the creation of this fan edit. Very professionally done. I learned tons. You know, I may be a crazy, but the idea of the Burned/Scarred Bruce from Jaws 2 returning seeking revenge sounds really cool and twisted to me!:eek:

And then there is the final extra item, a short fan edit of Jaws The Revenge entitled GHOST SHARK. Where Jaws Monster is a fun, popcorn romp, GHOST SHARK is a dark, moody, suspenseful psychological terror tale. These two edits are so different in tone and style it is hard at first to believe they were made by the same editor. And I mean that as the highest of compliments. Ghost Shark is OUTSTANDING! I real hidden gem is this already overflowing sunken galley of treasures!

So in case I have been too vague through this review,
I LOVED THIS FAN EDIT!;-)

THUMBS WAY UP!

Congrats LS on a truly stunning piece of work.:)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
But Wait! There is more!
Holy Neptune's Trident, is there ever ALOT more!

ALOT2.png

Sorry Bob, had to be done. :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Everyone is a grammar teacher.:lol:

Top Bottom