• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JAWS 2 - Extended Integral Edition - 1080p Presentation

RidgeShark said:
password: fanedit.org

All of the VHS footage has been extraordinarily difficult due to framerate issues and noise, but the Brazil tape really takes the cake.  The interlacing has a strange lag - seems an old telecine image sensor - with fields blending into each other.  At one moment, the tape shifts light levels in the shot of the divers swimming right on the wreckage which I have adjusted.  After a ton of experimentation, I finally got a respectable 24p version.  Then came the cleanup which has been near impossible to get to a satisfactory state.  The image is already incredibly soft and lacking detail - then add to that dark underwater footage.  I think I've taken it about as far as I can without totally breaking the image.

EDIT - Was going through the Brazil footage and found a deleted shot of Brody walking through his house.  Nothing major but not in the us tv cut.  Should be easy to drop in.

I think it looks great!  Very impressive what you were able to do with what you had.  I may be PM'ing you later for some tips on how to cleanup some VHS stuff I have.

This is looking very promising.  As a massive fan of all things Jaws, I can't wait to see how this all comes together.  Especially great to see the work on the footage from the Brazil VHS.   Never seen that footage before, so this is going to be a special release for fans of the movie ;)

Thanks everyone!  And I'd be glad to help anyone if I can.

Wanted to get your opinions - I'm thinking of calling this something along the lines of: JAWS 2: Extended Integral Edition.  Or would that be Integral Extended Edition?  Or is either way correct?  One of those grammatical things...

JAWS 2: The Extra Bite Edition or JAWS 2: A Bigger Bite Edition

I'll mull those over...maybe JAWS 2: The Big Brazilian Extended Edition....

I think I got it - JAWS 2: BIG MOTHER EXTENDED EDITION - Referencing Brody's line and a nod to the JAWS 2 novelization's (and earlier script?) very pregnant, very hungry great white.

Wanted to show you guys a comparison with the AI Enlargement. First I want to temper expectations for what this tech can currently do - medium to closeup shots of people can benefit greatly - especially if the image takes up the full 480i image. Wide shots and 480i Letterboxed sources still benefit, but the neural network enlarger has less to work with.

Also - before feeding the video to the AI enlarger, I had already performed countless hours of work cleaning and selecting the correct frames from my recording of the sped-up TBS broadcast. Then I aligned the images of my recording and the VHStoDVDR copy, sewed the expanded left side and tried my best to merge any fine edge detail to the image of my recording. Then there’s several different ways to feed the footage to the AI enlarger and it took several run-throughs before I got the thing latching onto the available detail and then doing something with it. It’s definitely not something you can just feed any type of VHS footage into at any resolution. Then it comes out looking too unnaturally, artificially sharp and it requires more processing in Avisynth. So with that out of the way:

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/853
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/854

I've gone through a few more revisions and tightened it up.  Submitted to the Academy - my first personal submission so I hope I did it correctly enough.  Someone else originally submitted my Army of Darkness - Primitive Screwhead Edition - so it's all new to me.

Man I'm so excited to see the final product, Jaws 2 is one of the moves I've always wanted an extended version for, thanks to you it looks like were getting it, let us know when its out ASAP

RidgeShark said:
Wanted to show you guys a comparison with the AI Enlargement. First I want to temper expectations for what this tech can currently do - medium to closeup shots of people can benefit greatly - especially if the image takes up the full 480i image. Wide shots and 480i Letterboxed sources still benefit, but the neural network enlarger has less to work with.

Also - before feeding the video to the AI enlarger, I had already performed countless hours of work cleaning and selecting the correct frames from my recording of the sped-up TBS broadcast. Then I aligned the images of my recording and the VHStoDVDR copy, sewed the expanded left side and tried my best to merge any fine edge detail to the image of my recording. Then there’s several different ways to feed the footage to the AI enlarger and it took several run-throughs before I got the thing latching onto the available detail and then doing something with it. It’s definitely not something you can just feed any type of VHS footage into at any resolution. Then it comes out looking too unnaturally, artificially sharp and it requires more processing in Avisynth. So with that out of the way:

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/853
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/854

This is astonishing! It sounds like a lot of work but it looks like it paid off.

As far as names for the edit goes may I suggest "One Good Bite Edition" or "Bigger Bite Edition" the one good bite is a little reference to one of the taglines for Jaws 2 which was "One good bite deserves another"

Just When you Thought it was Safe to Watch Jaws 2

Surely this should be in the main "Fanedit" forum now, as it's completed and released.

Anyways, Ridgeshark - I wanted to congratulate you on a terrific piece of editing.  I absolutely loved this and have left a review on IFBD.  Brilliant work.

This is an intense and greatest achievement for your great project of "Jaws 2 - Extended Cut". This is 100% Oscar-ripe and you have earned at least 1 Oscar! Very fantastic, RidgeShark!

Is anyone going to shift this thread to the correct forum??? It's not in the works ?

Update - thank you LastSurvivor!

Version with better audio on this deleted scene:

2 )After grounding Michael, Brody & Ellen have an extended dialogue scene which ends with him hiding his gun and poison-tipped bullets in the bathtub.

LastSurvivor said:
Is anyone going to shift this thread to the correct forum??? It's not in the works ?

Your wash is my commode.  Thread moved. Thanks pointing that out.

RidgeShark said:
Update - thank you LastSurvivor!

Version with better audio on this deleted scene:

2 )After grounding Michael, Brody & Ellen have an extended dialogue scene which ends with him hiding his gun and poison-tipped bullets in the bathtub.

Glad I could help Ridgeshark.  It's a great edit, now perfected in terms of the audio levels.  Again, any self respecting Jaws 2 fan needs this version in their collection.  Awesome stuff.

Back
Top Bottom