• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Jason and the Argonauts: Agnostic Supercut

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

This was largely put together around the same time as my B+ Movie Edition, but abandoned (like so many others) when life got busy. Glancing over my notes from my first draft and checking though some cuts, there isn't much left to do before it's ready. Once I've watched through one more draft I may open it up for a willing previewer or two before release.

Synopsis:
Using the B+ Movie Edition as a foundation, this cut completely removes the Olympus scenes as well as any explicit reference to the gods' interference. This, alongside a few more liberal trims, allow for an action-focused cut for when you just want to blitz through the film, cut to the chase and enjoy a fast-paced adventure.

Intention:
With my B+ Movie Editions I have certain lines that I will not cross, since I try to achieve my goals without making drastic cuts to the narrative, rarely removing dialogue or cutting shots completely. In that sense the B+ cut for Jason is a 'purist' version where I compromised on a lot of personal preference; chief of which was retaining the scenes with the gods. They serve a purpose, but I just don't think they're very well executed and they slow down the action considerably. So this is 'agnostic' because I'm removing their explicit existence from the equation (feel free to draw your own conclusions as to why we still have mythological monsters) and 'super' because even more trims for pacing have been made, clocking the entire film in at barely over an hour - 40 minutes shorter than the theatrical cut.

To quote Mr. Lucas, 'I may have gone too far in a few places', but at least I'm not depriving you of the original versionšŸ˜‰

Open to criticism as usual. Would be very interested on how it comes across.

The Gist
  • All cuts made (or not made) are on top of ones already made for the B+ Movie Edition (including animation enhancements). So please see the IFDB entry for that for further context
  • Explicit interference from what appear to be gods is removed (Hera does speak to Pelias in the temple, for example, but we do not witness her vanish like a ghost; Jason can be seen from afar to be talking to the Hera statue, but we do not hear their exchange or anything that would imply she talks back). All shots of Hermes during Jason's speech at Pelias' camp are also cut and Jason does not interact with him at all.
  • Additional trims to opening prophecy
  • Further trims to the attack on the temple
  • Further trims to dance at polias' camp
  • Trimmed Jason and Pelias' conversation
  • Further trims to Jason's conversation with the ship builder
  • Further trims to ship travel montages
  • Further trims to Talos
  • Jason and Hercules conversation regarding Hylas is paced slightly differently
  • Further trims to Harpies
  • Further trims to clashing rocks segment
  • Cut Medea's dance (cool tango, sis. Needs more dragons though)
  • Medea's temple speech is trimmed and events are in a different order. She says Jason is here, the king tells him to come forward, then Jason makes his way out of the crowd.
  • Trimmed prison break
  • Hydra is more or less the same as in the B+ cut
  • King Aeetes calls on his god to deliver him the children of the hydra, but we do not see fire fall from the sky and burn up the Hydra corpse
  • The sowing of the Hydra's teeth is recut slightly differently
  • Skeleton scenes are the same as in the B+ cut
  • General small trims here and there across the film to help maintain consistency with the pacing. Some shots cut, moved or swapped on occasion.
  • New ending shot to cover absence of Olympus scene (thanks to Dwight Fry for a suggestion on how to retain the kiss)

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quite an interesting approach. In fact I once considered trying a similar edit of Clash of the Titans, removing all the Olympus cutaways and keeping it Earthbound (the gods' Earthly manifestations, such as Thetis' statue head, would remain), just to see how well it would work.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My photoshop skills are limited (and aren't even done in photoshop), but I couldn't get this poster concept out of my head. The lack of space to work with also prompted me to try an alternate title.

AGNOSTIC-SUPER-CUT-POSTER-DRAFT-1.png

A little rough around the edges, but it's just a 1st draft.

This poster was used as the template:

429d4aa9-7c2f-49c6-b476-2d57a1e062dd.jpg

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you go this way, why not going full blown Silver Age comic book insanity and add the blurbs "Not a dream! Not a hoax! Not an imaginary story!" there, as in old-timey Superman comic covers?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm afraid I'm not enough of a comic book nerd to know what 'Silver Age comic book insanity" means šŸ˜…

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Silver Age (roughly the 1950s and 60s) was the "anything goes" era. Stories were CRAZY those days, and covers were usually the analogic equivalent of click bait. The "Not a hoax! Not a dream! Not an imaginary story!" thing, or any variations of it, was usually a way from the creators to save face when those three cop-outs to explain what was going on on the covers ("imaginary stories" were stories that were intentionally and specifically non-canon so anything that happened there was of no consequence) had became overused. But still, there's always a catch. Here's an example:

d829bc11f6888dfb261fd3a15109a96d

In this particular case, everything the cover claims is true... but the catch is that those two are NOT Superman and Lois (the cover never claims that they are).

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks both. With my current template I don't feel like there's room for a lot of busy imagery, but I'll have a play and see what happens :)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched through my second draft and have a handful of nitpicks but am largely very happy. If anyone would be interested in previewing this same draft before I make final changes, let me know soon. No pressure of course, however, please only put yourself forward if you are able to give time-coded feedback and within a reasonable time frame (assuming you have any issues, that is).

There are no subtitles yet but I will be sorting these for the next and (presumably) final version.

The runtime as it currently stands is 64 minutes (šŸ˜²).

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Subtitles for this are done. Poster's nearly there. Audio seems slightly out of sync to me following compression so looking into resolving that. Should be on track for dropping in Feb though.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone ever had trouble processing audio with MeGUI? I'm finding it is pushing my audio slightly out of sync (and this is with sample rate etc. at 'keep original').

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm afraid I can't help since I use Audacity. I export the audio as six mono .wav channels and do the final .ac3 conversion in Audacity. Never had any sync problems with it.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ I typically use HD stream extractor to get a W64. Normally I export as the same after editing and convert to my preferred format with meGUI, but I just found something noticeably off this time; and comparing the waveforms, it was obvious that the audio was different by like half a second. I've tried using Pazera and got a much better result. A bit miffed, but at least it's resolved I guess.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ I typically use HD stream extractor to get a W64. Normally I export as the same after editing and convert to my preferred format with meGUI, but I just found something noticeably off this time; and comparing the waveforms, it was obvious that the audio was different by like half a second. I've tried using Pazera and got a much better result. A bit miffed, but at least it's resolved I guess.
Guess the gods are displeased by your agnosticism... :p

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OP updated with new poster. Thanks ya'll for the tips and elements. Twas very helpful.

Top Bottom