The Scribbling Man
Tenant of the Tower of Flints
- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
This was largely put together around the same time as my B+ Movie Edition, but abandoned (like so many others) when life got busy. Glancing over my notes from my first draft and checking though some cuts, there isn't much left to do before it's ready. Once I've watched through one more draft I may open it up for a willing previewer or two before release.
Using the B+ Movie Edition as a foundation, this cut completely removes the Olympus scenes as well as any explicit reference to the gods' interference. This, alongside a few more liberal trims, allow for an action-focused cut for when you just want to blitz through the film, cut to the chase and enjoy a fast-paced adventure.
With my B+ Movie Editions I have certain lines that I will not cross, since I try to achieve my goals without making drastic cuts to the narrative, rarely removing dialogue or cutting shots completely. In that sense the B+ cut for Jason is a 'purist' version where I compromised on a lot of personal preference; chief of which was retaining the scenes with the gods. They serve a purpose, but I just don't think they're very well executed and they slow down the action considerably. So this is 'agnostic' because I'm removing their explicit existence from the equation (feel free to draw your own conclusions as to why we still have mythological monsters) and 'super' because even more trims for pacing have been made, clocking the entire film in at barely over an hour - 40 minutes shorter than the theatrical cut.
To quote Mr. Lucas, 'I may have gone too far in a few places', but at least I'm not depriving you of the original version😉
Open to criticism as usual. Would be very interested on how it comes across.
- All cuts made (or not made) are on top of ones already made for the B+ Movie Edition (including animation enhancements). So please see the IFDB entry for that for further context
- Explicit interference from what appear to be gods is removed (Hera does speak to Pelias in the temple, for example, but we do not witness her vanish like a ghost; Jason can be seen from afar to be talking to the Hera statue, but we do not hear their exchange or anything that would imply she talks back). All shots of Hermes during Jason's speech at Pelias' camp are also cut and Jason does not interact with him at all.
- Additional trims to opening prophecy
- Further trims to the attack on the temple
- Further trims to dance at polias' camp
- Trimmed Jason and Pelias' conversation
- Further trims to Jason's conversation with the ship builder
- Further trims to ship travel montages
- Further trims to Talos
- Jason and Hercules conversation regarding Hylas is paced slightly differently
- Further trims to Harpies
- Further trims to clashing rocks segment
- Cut Medea's dance (cool tango, sis. Needs more dragons though)
- Medea's temple speech is trimmed and events are in a different order. She says Jason is here, the king tells him to come forward, then Jason makes his way out of the crowd.
- Trimmed prison break
- Hydra is more or less the same as in the B+ cut
- King Aeetes calls on his god to deliver him the children of the hydra, but we do not see fire fall from the sky and burn up the Hydra corpse
- The sowing of the Hydra's teeth is recut slightly differently
- Skeleton scenes are the same as in the B+ cut
- General small trims here and there across the film to help maintain consistency with the pacing. Some shots cut, moved or swapped on occasion.
- New ending shot to cover absence of Olympus scene (thanks to Dwight Fry for a suggestion on how to retain the kiss)