• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

James Rolfe´s (AVGN) fanedit of Kill Bill

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The angry video game nerd has re-edited the Kill Bill movies, but he won't be releasing them. But he did make a video talking about them so if anybody wants to reconstruct his edit... 

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Wow. That version does sound amazing. Some super smart choices and ideas and I could picture/hear them all working.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I saw that video last night. Prepare for a small influx of new people who had never heard of fan edits before... But also, I immediately expected him to have done yet another version of the "Whole Bloody Affair" and when he said in the beginning that he had wanted to avoid that and instead fit the whole story into a tight 3 acts in 2 hours, it grabbed my attention. It's actually a new and creative idea! He gets it! I think he's earned a lot more respect from me for that.

A YouTuber with millions of subscribers exposed a large amount their following to the concept of fan edits, without misinforming them about anything or doing (or even suggesting anyone else do) anything illegal, with a genuinely good idea and clips showing the editing chops to back it all up. In less dedicated hands a video like this could have been disastrous. Instead it's actually really cool.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow indeed. I've only seen both Volumes once, and though I remember quite liking Vol. 2 (1, not so much), I didn't think, when I hit play on that video, I necessarily wanted to watch either/both/a fan edit of them ever again. (I'd also somehow completely forgotten about Beatrix's daughter!) Said commentary, however, was highly persuasive, and I'd be strongly tempted to buy the films if anyone here were to recreate the edit.

Urban Monitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
James Rolfe from Cinemassacre/Angry Video Game Nerd made an interesting video about his version of Kill Bill.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully this rises up interest from more people to join the community for the best.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My father is a huge AVGN fan (Cinemasacre in general really), he watched this video and was really fascinated. He mentioned wanting to edit something himself after watching it. It was nice to see him show more of an interest in fanedit stuffs.

gddgb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I came here to post this topic haha

I really hope an editor here takes up this challenge.  He gives so much detail including timestamps, I'm sure someone with the experience can recreate this.  I love this guy, and I got so excited hearing him explain his cut.  I want to see it sooooooo bad, let's spread this to the Tarantino editors!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mr Lemonoue said:
He did do some cool things, but I don't agree with many the choices he made.

The beauty of fanedits is you don't have to like any of an editor's choices, the original movie still exists. One can always watch the original or try their hand at an edit.

Mr Lemonoue

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Mr Lemonoue said:
He did do some cool things, but I don't agree with many the choices he made.

The beauty of fanedits is you don't have to like any of an editor's choices, the original movie still exists. One can always watch the original or try their hand at an edit.

Yes of course.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally I've acquired a couple edits attempting to recreate James' cut, both I found on the cesspool known as Reddit. The first one is 2 and a half hours, taking some creative liberties, while the other seems to just be as close as accurate as possible and is like 2 hours 15 minutes (I think that's including credits). I plan on watching them both soon to compare them.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've heard that James has very little creating in anything on his channel anymore, aside from maybe these videos (he has a team that does most of the writing, shooting, editing and animation for him now). But I've never heard him mention fan edits (or at least as far as I can remember) before this video and I've been a fan of AVGN since 2006. I honestly wonder if he's actually seen any of the fan edits we see the covers for in this video (T3: Coming Storm, etc...). I'd imagine he must know something about them since that's what he's doing here in his proposed idea. Wish he would talk about the edits he's seen more in depth. If not on his channel then maybe in a podcast.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tylerdurden389 said:
I've heard that James has very little creating in anything on his channel anymore, aside from maybe these videos (he has a team that does most of the writing, shooting, editing and animation for him now). But I've never heard him mention fan edits (or at least as far as I can remember) before this video and I've been a fan of AVGN since 2006. I honestly wonder if he's actually seen any of the fan edits we see the covers for in this video (T3: Coming Storm, etc...). I'd imagine he must know something about them since that's what he's doing here in his proposed idea. Wish he would talk about the edits he's seen more in depth. If not on his channel then maybe in a podcast.

Someone mentioned in the comments that he mentioned the edit in some Kill Bill review video he did, haven't seen it so I can't confirm. I do know that he mentioned fanedits in the Rental Review video of Temple of Doom vs Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, talking about the edits that fix Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He's definitely familiar with fanedits, and I don't doubt that he's seen the ones shown in the Kill Bill video.

Top Bottom