• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR

Urban Monitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hayley Atwell would be a perfect choice for Sarah! I like her a lot and I never tought of that before.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzanegger will both be in the next Terminator film:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/linda-hamilton-and-arnold-schwarzenegger-are-returning-1818569188

Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger are both returning for the sixth Terminator film. James Cameron, who made the first two films, is producing, with Tim Miller (Deadpool) directing.

The Hollywood Reporter held an event in Los Angeles Tuesday night where the news was revealed.

Cameron helped craft the story with Miller and a writers room that included David Goyer (The Dark Knight), Charles Eglee (Dark Angel), and Josh Friedman (The Sarah Connor Chronicles). That story will not just bring back the original characters, it’ll use them as a vehicle to pass the torch to a new generation.

“We’re starting a search for an 18-something woman to be the new centerpiece of the new story,” Cameron said. “We still fold time. We will have characters from the future and the present. There will be mostly new characters but we’ll have Arnold and Linda’s characters to anchor it.”

The new film, which does not yet have a release date, is being crafted as part of a trilogy “that can stand as single movies or form an overarching story.” It’s also being viewed as a direct sequel to Terminator 2: Judgement Day, ignoring the three sequels that followed.

They’ll be back.

A trilogy? sigh. Cameron: stahp.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is some really great news.  I cannot wait to see what they are holding up.  Hopefully it’ll blow us away… :))

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It won't. 

Every terminator film after the "trilogy" of 1,2, and 3, has been announced as the first of a trilogy, where the second and third never materialize. In fact, most of the time when films are announced as the first of a trilogy, the movie sucks. It's a matter of focus. Same reason I'm not looking forward to Avatar 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,etc. Same reason I am not interested in almost any franchise that claims to be launching a "shared universe".

Make one movie. Make it good. Focus on it. Hone it. Be proud of the end product. THEN, if you're lucky, maybe you will get a chance to make more. But don't spend the entire time that you're supposed to be making the one movie, prepping for a different one. We, the audience, can tell.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ bingo.

I think Cameron is really jealous of what Lucas has accomplished with Star Wars. He's obviously trying reaaaaaaallly hard to develop an epic universe.

I didn't really care for Avatar. It was an okay one-time watch because of the effects, but the movie has nothing more to offer. It's ridiculous that he's already planning for 9 or more movies.

I'm not really excited about this Terminator news. I think we need to leave the Terminator franchise and move on. Salvation was horrible, Genisys was okay, but I can't see how shoehorning an aged Sarah Connor and Arnie-terminator into the story is benefiting anything.

What I wouldn't give for another great one-off film from Cameron, like The Abyss.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be fair, I was being sarcastic with my Avatar numbering. I think they're making "only" three or four more. Still too many.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There were IMDb pages for something like 9 films at one point, so it was more than a sarcastic joke. I think they've officially dialed that down to 4 movies (for now).

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
A trilogy? sigh. Cameron: stahp.

Yup. This franchise is so far gone, both in terms of content and contemporary relevance, that even the return of the triumvirate just makes me roll my eyes. :sleepy:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm happy because this news is the only news that can makes me want to watch another T movie in theater (in other words this is the last card they can play, and of course they are playing it...)

THAT SAID, it's true that I would be even more happy if Cameron announced this as the CONCLUSION of his Terminator series of movies, rather than the beginning of something new.
But maybe he just plays it smart here. Maybe all he wants to do is one more movie to make a trilogy of his own (even if he's not directing) and he only sells it as the first of a new trilogy to please some people who give money to him. Who knows.
In the end if that movie works good as the last of the "Cameron Trilogy" then I don't care if they make more after or not.

The real question is: even if I'm pleased to see Linda coming back... what story would be SO great that it is needed to get Linda Hamilton back? Like I often said T1 and T2 work well as "mirror" movies. A third one with Linda would need some real sens of conclusion to work for me and I don't see how it could be achieved very well. (I'm talking about a conclusion about the overall story not only a possible death of Sarah Connor...)

My  biggest fear being that they just called Linda to get my ass in theater once more and that's it. lol.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
It won't. 

Every terminator film after the "trilogy" of 1,2, and 3, has been announced as the first of a trilogy, where the second and third never materialize. In fact, most of the time when films are announced as the first of a trilogy, the movie sucks. It's a matter of focus. Same reason I'm not looking forward to Avatar 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,etc. Same reason I am not interested in almost any franchise that claims to be launching a "shared universe".

Make one movie. Make it good. Focus on it. Hone it. Be proud of the end product. THEN, if you're lucky, maybe you will get a chance to make more. But don't spend the entire time that you're supposed to be making the one movie, prepping for a different one. We, the audience, can tell.

I terribly agree.  I have my hopes up because I love the first two films, and I love Linda Hamilton.  I do hope for a fantastic end to the story Cameron begun.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
What I wouldn't give for another great one-off film from Cameron, like The Abyss.

Or, better yet, another one like "True Lies". That movie is still the best project that either Cameron or Schwarzenegger have ever worked on, by my reckoning.

I'd like a movie that finished the Terminator franchise in a satisfactory manner (as I mentioned in the post linked to here, this is what I think that "Genysis" should have been), but one that starts up a new trilogy sounds worrisome to me.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I think Cameron is really jealous of what Lucas has accomplished with Star Wars. He's obviously trying reaaaaaaallly hard to develop an epic universe.

An emo, whiny, John Connor who worships the original, bad guy Terminator, has turned bad and kills an aging Sarah Connor (in a plot twist that everyone saw coming). Meanwhile the movie will feel like a total rehash of the first two movies, yet everyone will forgive that because it feels like a Terminator movie.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cameron - too old
Hamilton - too old
Schwarzenegger - too old

No

All you studio execs who absorb everything here on FE.
I ain't paying one dime to watch this.
Maybe you can tell tickets in Nanjing for ¥1.

I would fire the honcho who greenlit this project.
Pezheads

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welp, I found this discussion an interesting and engaging listen, at least. Cameron is deeply involved with this project, for better or worse:

On the plus side, they both emphasize that they plan to tell a complete story with each upcoming movie, so that if the next one doesn't get sequels greenlit, they'll still have made a solid standalone movie. I'm sure the makers of T4/5 said the same thing in their day, but they lied! (Or failed. Whichever.)

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, this interview is probably the best thing to happen to the Terminator franchise since 1991.  The hype’s there.  Everything I would have wanted to hear.  Thanks for sharing @Gaith.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Suggestion to mods: reduce the ALL-CAPS THREAD TITLE. Thanks in advance for your consideration. :)

Anyhow... this movie is really happening, folks.

4_D73_F82_A00000578-5866325-image-a-26_1529512043352.jpg

4_D73_F77600000578-5866325-image-m-25_1529512030616.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ she is looking good but I'm in two minds about this film. Ill-advised Terminator sequels with different and awful actors are easy to ignore, (possibly) ill-advised sequels with Linda Hamilton herself are less easy to blank from ones "head canon" ;) . So far, she has only been in the good ones, unlike Arnie who as been in all the terrible ones and sometimes been the cause for them being bad. It had better be good.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool.
I understand people who are doubious about those new Terminators movies but Cameron was clear: they are all made and conceptualized as one-off movies.
If this first "T" movie does not work financially they will not make more and it won't matter much cause the first movie will tell a story that is self-sufficient. I'm okay with that. It's not like T4 and T5 that ended with an opened door to movies that never came.
I never was really okay for a "new" Alien 3 movie who could remove the actual 3 and 4 from the "canon" but I think the Terminator franchise, with its time travel story, is a good place to play that game. You can see 3,4,5 as alternate timelines, while 1,2 and this new movie are a continuation of the same story. Like I said before I just really hope that by the end of this movie we have a sens of conclusion. I want something classy, simple and well rounded. The first movie made clear judgment day will happen no matter what, T2 hinted that maybe we can, by our actions, change the course of time (but we don't know if the characters did that or not), this new movie has the difficult task to either make it clear they changed the timeline or not, or they can also keep things vague at the end (but it would not make for a good conclusion, IMO). If I was in charge I'd make it post judgment day. They didn't change anything but they saved their leader, John, and they still have to survive. I always assumed Sarah died  that day, but maybe not, maybe she's still here in the middle of the war with her son. The problem being that they already shown us the perfect ending of a good trilogy at the begining of Genesys: the sending of Kyle in 1984. So unless they want to show us that story from a different perspective they need to find something new that makes sens. I'm afraid they'll just make a story set in present day that makes clear they stopped judgment day from happening but there's a new threat... only I think everyone wants to see the war against the machines as told by Cameron (?)

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am really, profoundly excited for this film.  The thing I’m afraid of is, nonetheless, any exaggerated story elements they may have come up with with regards to Judgement Day being postponed/avoided, etc.  From the looks of it, James Cameron, Tim Miller and the other screenwriters involved have come up with a really strong, self-contained idea for this.  We will see… november 19 of 2019.

Top Bottom