• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) 2020 Awards are here.

JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR

Canon Editor

Well-known member
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
3
Trophy Points
43
YES!  The news many of us were waiting for is finally here!  James Cameron, the mind behind the Terminator and director of the first two films, will be, as we already knew, regaining the rights to the franchise he created in 2019, and he has in mind something big for us, this time not as director, but as producer... :)

http://collider.com/terminator-5-james-cameron-tim-miller/ 

What do you think?  Will we catch on from "Terminator 2: Judgement Day"?  Will we have a soft reboot?  A completely new story?  Or maybe a spin on 2015's almost entirely bad "Terminator Genisys", which James Cameron once said he considered "the real Terminator 3"?  I hope we will be going from "T2" and finally reach the end of our beloved series!  

Note: could Lena Headey make a return?  I doubt, but she was great!
 

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Messages
15,078
Reaction score
6
Trophy Points
123
moved to movies.

I don't know what to think about this. It could be good, but Cameron hasn't been that stellar lately. I mostly enjoyed Genisys, as it felt like a return to form, but frankly I don't know that the franchise needs another film. It would need to be very original and not just a rehash of the same events.

Re your note: It seems highly unlikely that Lena Headey would return.
 

TM2YC

Well-known member
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
13,144
Reaction score
435
Trophy Points
198
Canon Editor said:
the franchise he created in 2019

So that's how Cameron knew about time travel!

I have zero reserves of hope left for this franchise right now.
 

wilhelm scream

Well-known member
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
9
Trophy Points
48
WHY OH WHY OH WHY? The Terminator franchise just needs to die at this point. Ever since James Cameron left, all we've gotten was 3 pointless/horrible sequels and a dreadful TV show. So while I can see that Cameron returning to the franchise can be considered a good thing, personally, I'm just going to do what I have been doing ever since I discovered the sequels and TV show, ignore them. Why? Because of how pointless they are. The only Terminator film I would watch would be an official Terminator vs Robocop movie. So I'm just going ignore this reboot, even if it is good. Also. if they use the T-800 and Arnold's not playing it, I think everybody will be unhappy.
 

Canon Editor

Well-known member
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
3
Trophy Points
43
I see where the absence of hope and future for the franchise is coming from, and I understand.  @"ThrowgnCpr", I agree.  James Cameron was amazing back in the day of "The Terminator", "T2" and "Titanic" (I haven't seen "The Abyss"), but for me "Avatar" just fell flat on its face.  I absolutely did not like it, to use a euphemism.  What I believe is James Cameron to still be a great mind, and his involvement in a film of the franchise he created, with Tim Miller as director would be wonderful, it seems.  Let's look out for the best.
 

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
23,472
Reaction score
75
Trophy Points
158
Canon Editor said:
I absolutely did not like it, to use a euphemism.

That's not how euphemisms work.
 

Nic

Well-known member
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
6
Trophy Points
43
No matter how this sequel turns out, I doubt it will be as interesting as this pitch:
 

Gaith

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,527
Reaction score
85
Trophy Points
88
 
^ I saw that MovieBob pitch the other day, and consider it terrible. Interesting and inventive, yes, but terrible nonetheless.

Anyhow, my take: I generally believe, as a matter of artistic theory, that fictional worlds can be extended in interesting ways forever. Which isn't to say we should have endless stories about any given character, but if you expand and switch things up enough, and aren't beholden to a particular character of even genre, you can find interesting stories anywhere. The MCU is the perfect example of this - we start with Iron Man, then meet his father in The First Avenger, then follow his friend Peggy in two TV seasons, neither of which have anything to do with the story of Iron Man 1. (And, of course, that's just one branch-off of many.)​

The Terminator franchise, however, strikes me as the notable exception to that rule. No, I don't want to see any more of the Connors - and I'm a guy who unapologetically loves T3 in its theatrical form. No, I don't want to see more future war/time travel shenanigans. No, I don't want the Sarah and John Connor Chronicles, with its teenage John crushing on a sexy female robot. Do not want.

Of course, in his orginal T2 script, Cameron figured the future human Resistance would be largely South American, as there would have been comparatively few nuclear targets/strikes in that neck of the Southern Hemisphere. So now that I type this, I can actually start to picture a movie about a badass woman growing up in the jungles of Brazil or what-not, and enlisting in a suicidal trip to North America for an assault on Skynet, ending with the original T-800 being sent back to T1. (Just how the T-1000 was sent back, and why it wasn't also sent to 1985, strikes me as best left completely unexplained.) In other words, such a movie needn't directly reference T2 at all.
 
Damnit - guess I thought of a possible one last film in spite of myself. :p
 

TMBTM

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,903
Reaction score
5
Trophy Points
83
The terminator franchise is a weird monster now.
None of the last three movies are really atrocious to me but none of them are amazing either and they form a total mess when looked from a global perspective.
I really don't see what magic trick Cameron can have to save the future. ;)
 

Kal-El

Well-known member
Messages
4,311
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
43
Genisys was the best one since T2, in my opinion. Whatever Cameron has in mind can't be half as bad as the awful T3 or ('still okay'-)T4, regardless of how tepid his next instalment is.
 

Urban Monitor

Well-known member
Messages
54
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
13
I liked Genysis a lot even with it´s flaws. The problem is that Genysis was supposed to start a new trilogy. If I was the director and the producers I would make it like a movie to close the franchise and using all the nostalgia in the process. Things I would change:

- Cameo of Robert Patrick as the T-1000 instead the asian guy
- Cameo of Lance Henriksen (because in the new timeline he didn´t die in T1)
- Replace the character of JK Simmons with the character of the psychologist of T1 and T2 played by Earl Bowen. Now he will not to be a dick and will help the main characters like JK Simmons did.
- Replace Jay Courtney with another actor more similar to Michael Biehn. 
- Bring back Joe Morton as Dyson and not that actor they hired
- And cameos of Bill Paxton and Brian Thompson as the punks (and they could use CGI to make them look younger)
- Use the scenes of T1 instead recreating all of them.

There´s a plot hole when Sarah and Kyle travels to 2019 because until then they didn´t have sex to make the baby John. It would be cool if Sarah made sex to him in a very mechanical way just to be impregnated. It would contrast with the scene in T1 where they made sex because they really loved each other.

It would be a movie to close the franchise and to celebrate it at the same time.
 

henzINNIT

Well-known member
Messages
288
Reaction score
25
Trophy Points
23
I feel like a battered housewife but yeah, sure, I'll give it another shot.

Cameron and Miller are a far greater standard of talent than this franchise has brought on board for a very long time, so I'm optimistic about that. This series has never been sequel-friendly, but I love the mythology so much that I will always check it out.
 

ssj

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
3,883
Reaction score
2
Trophy Points
53
hopefully cameron will send the terminators far back in time so the various T models can battle dinosaurs.
 

matrixgrindhouse

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,284
Reaction score
20
Trophy Points
48
ssj said:
hopefully cameron will send the terminators far back in time so the various T models can battle dinosaurs.

Can even use some archival Arnold dialogue from Batman and Robin.

"What killed the dinosaurs?"
 

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
23,472
Reaction score
75
Trophy Points
158
Gosh, I guess I'll have watch Genysis some day.
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
107
Trophy Points
63
TVs Frink said:
Gosh, I guess I'll have watch Genysis some day.

I was thinking the same thing. It's free on Amazon Prime right now and I still haven't watched it.
 

addiesin

Well-known member
Messages
4,872
Reaction score
165
Trophy Points
83
ssj said:
hopefully cameron will send the terminators far back in time so the various T models can battle dinosaurs.

I'd like to see this. Basically, just go wild with time travel. I'd watch a period piece film with terminators in world war 2 or the French revolution. We could have movie about Skynet trying time travel a few times and getting a terminator back to the time of the dinos, or the dawn of man, or in ancient Greece or Norway or Egypt or Maya where it's mistaken as a God.
Or show us a terminator trying to wreck a saved future, show us what they've been fighting for the whole time. 

There are ways to breathe life back into the franchise but I foresee more of the same. The next film will be "you're our only hope now that we've lost John Connor! Come with me if you want to live!" with a new protagonist in a modern setting with a new terminator. If not I'll metaphorically eat my hat.
 

ssj

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
3,883
Reaction score
2
Trophy Points
53
agreed. the john connor/kyle reese story is beginning to feel. . . inbred.

f2ea69bc2ae29506759875650b6efe6f.jpg
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,451
Reaction score
41
Trophy Points
53
tipoc said:
I liked Genysis a lot even with it´s flaws. The problem is that Genysis was supposed to start a new trilogy. If I was the director and the producers I would make it like a movie to close the franchise and using all the nostalgia in the process. Things I would change:

- Cameo of Robert Patrick as the T-1000 instead the asian guy
- Cameo of Lance Henriksen (because in the new timeline he didn´t die in T1)
- Replace the character of JK Simmons with the character of the psychologist of T1 and T2 played by Earl Bowen. Now he will not to be a dick and will help the main characters like JK Simmons did.
- Replace Jay Courtney with another actor more similar to Michael Biehn. 
- Bring back Joe Morton as Dyson and not that actor they hired
- And cameos of Bill Paxton and Brian Thompson as the punks (and they could use CGI to make them look younger)
- Use the scenes of T1 instead recreating all of them.

There´s a plot hole when Sarah and Kyle travels to 2019 because until then they didn´t have sex to make the baby John. It would be cool if Sarah made sex to him in a very mechanical way just to be impregnated. It would contrast with the scene in T1 where they made sex because they really loved each other.

It would be a movie to close the franchise and to celebrate it at the same time.

I like the concept behind "Terminator: Genisys".

"The Terminator" was about Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese fighting to save the original timeline so that things would happen the same way in the future, and humans would still win the war against Skynet. "Terminator 2" was about Sarah Connor, John Connor, and a benevolent Terminator deciding to prevent the war from even happening. "Genisys" moves this concept further, with Sarah Connor gaining knowledge of Skynet and deciding to prevent the war before ever getting impregnated with John, turning her fight against Skynet into a dual battle for humankind's future and her ability to live her life as she wants it, free of pre-determination. I think it was the perfect direction to end the franchise on (emphasis on end). I just think they messed up the execution.

In my opinion, the things that most needed changing are the following:

- No sequel-bait. End the movie with Skynet (and John Connor) prevented from existing, once and for all, and Sarah Connor free to live a normal, everyday life.

- Have the new timeline of the movie come to exist in a way that's consistent with the first two movies. In the movie as-is, Kyle Reese is going through the time machine just like in the original, when something suddenly goes awry, changing the timeline. But this makes no sense, because it happens in the same timeframe that Kyle's transport to the past happened in the original, so everything should have happened the same as before. 

- Better casting. First of all, I have no idea how anyone thought it was a good idea to cast Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese. It's one of the worst pieces of miscasting in years. The perfect actor for the role would have been Sebastian Stan, who not only physically resembles Michael Biehn, but is also brilliant at playing war-weary, raggedy fighters. As for Emilia Clarke, she would have been perfect for a 1970s teenage version of Sarah Connor (which is what I had thought she was playing when I first saw the trailer), but she looks too baby-faced for a 1984 Sarah Connor. (I know that Emilia Clarke was about the same age when she played Sarah Connor as Linda Hamilton was when she was in the original, but she didn't look it.) Also, putting aside looks, the version of Sarah Connor that she is playing has been trained for years by "Pops", so she's supposed to be seasoned and tough. Emilia Clarke tries to act tough in the role, but she isn't too convincing in my opinion. I think Hayley Atwell would have been a good choice. She has just barely enough of a facial resemblance to Linda Hamilton to pull it off with the right makeup, looked close enough, age-wise, to how Linda Hamilton looked in the original at the time "Genisys" was made, and could definitely pull off the toughness aspect of the character.
 

Canon Editor

Well-known member
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
3
Trophy Points
43
hbenthow said:
tipoc said:
I liked Genysis a lot even with it´s flaws. The problem is that Genysis was supposed to start a new trilogy. If I was the director and the producers I would make it like a movie to close the franchise and using all the nostalgia in the process. Things I would change:

- Cameo of Robert Patrick as the T-1000 instead the asian guy
- Cameo of Lance Henriksen (because in the new timeline he didn´t die in T1)
- Replace the character of JK Simmons with the character of the psychologist of T1 and T2 played by Earl Bowen. Now he will not to be a dick and will help the main characters like JK Simmons did.
- Replace Jay Courtney with another actor more similar to Michael Biehn. 
- Bring back Joe Morton as Dyson and not that actor they hired
- And cameos of Bill Paxton and Brian Thompson as the punks (and they could use CGI to make them look younger)
- Use the scenes of T1 instead recreating all of them.

There´s a plot hole when Sarah and Kyle travels to 2019 because until then they didn´t have sex to make the baby John. It would be cool if Sarah made sex to him in a very mechanical way just to be impregnated. It would contrast with the scene in T1 where they made sex because they really loved each other.

It would be a movie to close the franchise and to celebrate it at the same time.

I like the concept behind "Terminator: Genisys".

"The Terminator" was about Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese fighting to save the original timeline so that things would happen the same way in the future, and humans would still win the war against Skynet. "Terminator 2" was about Sarah Connor, John Connor, and a benevolent Terminator deciding to prevent the war from even happening. "Genisys" moves this concept further, with Sarah Connor gaining knowledge of Skynet and deciding to prevent the war before ever getting impregnated with John, turning her fight against Skynet into a dual battle for humankind's future and her ability to live her life as she wants it, free of pre-determination. I think it was the perfect direction to end the franchise on (emphasis on end). I just think they messed up the execution.

In my opinion, the things that most needed changing are the following:

- No sequel-bait. End the movie with Skynet (and John Connor) prevented from existing, once and for all, and Sarah Connor free to live a normal, everyday life.

- Have the new timeline of the movie come to exist in a way that's consistent with the first two movies. In the movie as-is, Kyle Reese is going through the time machine just like in the original, when something suddenly goes awry, changing the timeline. But this makes no sense, because it happens in the same timeframe that Kyle's transport to the past happened in the original, so everything should have happened the same as before. 

- Better casting. First of all, I have no idea how anyone thought it was a good idea to cast Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese. It's one of the worst pieces of miscasting in years. The perfect actor for the role would have been Sebastian Stan, who not only physically resembles Michael Biehn, but is also brilliant at playing war-weary, raggedy fighters. As for Emilia Clarke, she would have been perfect for a 1970s teenage version of Sarah Connor (which is what I had thought she was playing when I first saw the trailer), but she looks too baby-faced for a 1984 Sarah Connor. (I know that Emilia Clarke was about the same age when she played Sarah Connor as Linda Hamilton was when she was in the original, but she didn't look it.) Also, putting aside looks, the version of Sarah Connor that she is playing has been trained for years by "Pops", so she's supposed to be seasoned and tough. Emilia Clarke tries to act tough in the role, but she isn't too convincing in my opinion. I think Hayley Atwell would have been a good choice. She has just barely enough of a facial resemblance to Linda Hamilton to pull it off with the right makeup, looked close enough, age-wise, to how Linda Hamilton looked in the original at the time "Genisys" was made, and could definitely pull off the toughness aspect of the character.

I perrrrrfectly agree!
 
Top Bottom