• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

It (A Film) (2017/2019)

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It (A Film)

Out of the blue, and into the black”

A fan-mix/fan-fix of It: Chapter One (2017) and It: Chapter Two (2019).

The intention of this fan-edit is to incorporate the films It: Chapter One (2017) and It: Chapter Two (2019) into a single film that faithfully follows the structure of Stephen King’s novel. This is meant to be a “purist” cut that attempts to recreate the structure of the book as closely as possible. This edit also intends to re-work Chapter Two to address some of the weaker aspects of the sequel and improve the film.

I had considered a project like this well before Chapter Two was released. Chapter Two could not possibly live up to the success of the original. Even though Chapter One makes for an incredible movie because it chooses to focus solely on the Losers Club as kids (particularly in the context of the Stranger Things wave at the time), it then sets up Chapter Two for failure to live up to expectations when it doesn’t have the strength of the kids’ story to support it. Just like in the novel, both stories are stronger when they work together.

full

In preparation for this edit, I sat down to read Stephen King’s It, taking notes so I could edit both films to match the book as closely as possible. The goal was to either match the structure exactly, or (at the very least) find the analogous scene/components from the films to serve the same purpose. Part and chapter titles are included.

This edit is not only a fan-mix of both films, but also a fan-fix of Chapter Two. I don’t feel the sequel deserves quite the level of animosity it receives, but it’s fair to acknowledge it has weaknesses. At times, Chapter Two features humor that is either illy timed, or just simply falls flat; its adaptation of the Ritual of Chüd as a bizarre scavenger hunt for the adult Losers Club is silly; and the film’s attempts at call-backs to Chapter One can be superfluous or ham-handed. I attempt to address these issues in the edit.

Part 1: The Shadow Before

Chapter 1: After the Flood (1957)

The opening scenes between Bill, Georgie, and It after the flood have been reworked to match the flow of the book. The book begins with Georgie playing in the flooded streets, flashes back to his scene with Bill and his visit to the basement, and then continues with his encounter with It. The music has been changed to Für Elise to match what Sharon Denbrough plays on the piano in the book. Audio from the Saturday Night Live sketch “Little Richard Simmons” plays in the background during Bill and Georgie’s second conversation (a nod to the novel where the kids play Little Richard on the radio in contrast to their mother’s piano playing downstairs).

Chapter 2: After the Festival (1984)

Mike Hanlon’s introduction after the assault on Adrian Mellon has been removed.

Chapter 3: Six Phone Calls (1985)

The six phone calls Mike makes to the Losers Club have been reordered to match the structure of the book. Transitions between scenes have also been simplified (i.e., the stars above Ben Hanscom’s home don’t suddenly become the puzzle pieces to Stan Uris’ table, etc.). Chapter Two tends to get extravagant with its scene transitions and this edit simplifies many of these throughout.

The music during Stanley Uris Takes a Bath is replaced by "Caro Mio Ben" from earlier in the scene.

Derry: The First Interlude

The montage of Derry with Mike’s opening narration about ‘memories’ from Chapter Two is repurposed as Derry: First Interlude after the six phone calls. The shot of rushing water under the sewer is moved from the ending of Beverly Rogen’s scene with Tom and used here to transition back to 1958.

Part 2: June of 1958

Chapter 4: Ben Hanscom Takes a Fall

Mike’s introduction and his encounter with It is moved to later. Bill’s ‘experiment’ with his father’s maps and hamster tunnels is removed. Stan’s subplot about disappointing his father and his subsequent encounter with It is removed.

This section was difficult, as technically more should be done to match the novel. The book waits to introduce the Losers Club until Ben meets them after being chased by Henry Bowers, and Ben’s encounter with It is done as a flashback after he falls asleep in the barrens—but trying to match the book in this way jumbles the flow of the original film too much.

Chapter 6: One of the Missing: A Tale from the Summer of ‘58

The death of Patrick Hockstetter is moved up a scene to coincide with this chapter from the book. Hockstetter’s death in the novel of course is much later, and the chapter in question refers instead to the death of Edward Corcoran, but the available footage makes this section work analogously to what the book achieves.

Chapter 7: The Dam in the Barrens

The shot of Ben looking back when he hears Hockstetter’s scream is removed (it doesn’t work when Patrick’s scene is moved).

Chapter 8: Georgie’s Room and the House on Neibolt Street

This chapter begins with a deleted scene from Chapter One in which Bill attempts to discuss vacation plans with his grieving parents (matching a sequence from the book in which Bill notices his parents’ growing emotional distance from each other). Bill’s encounter with It in the basement is moved from later in the film to here.

Mike Hanlon’s introduction, and his encounter with It and Henry Bowers at the butcher shop, has been moved to after the basement sequence. This is followed by the kids swimming at the quarry, their discussion about the missing children at Ben’s home, Eddie’s encounter with It at the house on Neibolt street, Beverly Marsh’s encounter with It in her bathroom, and the Losers Club coming to help her clean the blood in Chapter 9: Cleaning Up.

Derry: The Second Interlude

The death of Victoria Fuller at the baseball game (analogous to Laurie Ann Winterbarger from the book) serves to transition us back to 1985.

Part 3: Grownups

Chapter 10: The Reunion

The brief flashback to Beverly signing Ben’s yearbook is trimmed. During the dinner, the banter between Richie Tozier and Eddie is slightly toned down. The discussion between Bill and Beverly about his ‘bad endings’ is removed (the edit tones down the ‘bad endings’ motif throughout). The scene in which Richie mistakes the young fan for It in disguise is removed. Mike sharing his discovery of the Ritual of Chüd is moved to later in the film.

The townhouse sequence is reworked. The brief flashback to Beverly in the deadlights is trimmed, but still verbally referenced. The Ritual of Chüd still isn’t discussed yet. Eddie’s “horribly” comment and the subsequent banter with Richie is removed.

The treehouse sequence is reworked. The flashback to the young Losers Club is moved to later. Richie imitating It in the shadows is removed.

The discussion about requiring “tokens” that the Losers must search for is removed. Mike refers to “pieces” more metaphorically here, and the eventual items the Losers Club collect during Walking Tours function more to symbolize their collected memories rather than be a scavenger hunt.

Chapter 11: Walking Tours

The walking tours are reordered to match the book.

Ben’s sequence at the school is first. Beverly telling Ben he’s “fat and disgusting” is trimmed (it’s enough that she turns him down and laughs at him before turning into It). Ben talking to himself in the locker is slightly trimmed. Ben calling out the rest of the Losers’ names when It taunts him is trimmed.

Eddie’s interaction with Norbert Keene at the pharmacy is removed. He instead approaches the counter, and the voice of young Greta catches his attention, serving to transition to his flashback. The song “Angel of the Morning” during Eddie’s fight with the leper is removed and replaced with part of the main score. Eddie comically attempting to open the door to the outside and his brief interaction with the adult Greta is removed.

The flashback of Bill and Beverly before the transition to Mrs. Kersh’s apartment is removed. The flashback Beverly experiences with her father while exploring the apartment is toned down. Alvin Marsh explaining to Beverly she will “never be like [her mother]” and the over-the-top perfume spraying is removed.

When Bill visits Second Hand Rose to buy back Silver, the shopkeeper’s opinion on Bill’s “bad endings” is removed. The brief flashback Bill experiences as he rides past his former home is removed. The flashback of young Bill yelling into the empty sewer and being taunted by It is removed.

Chapter 12: Three Uninvited Guests

Henry Bowers exiting the sewer, returning home and being arrested by police, and the flashforward to his residence at the insane asylum, is moved here. The quick flashback to young Patrick Hockstetter as Henry encounters the ‘undead’ Hockstetter is removed. Bowers’ escape from the mental institution transitions to a deleted scene from Chapter One in which Bowers applies Bactine to wounds from his father’s abuse. Bowers then briefly interacts with his father before joining his friends in targeting Mike Hanlon.

Part 4: July of 1958

Chapter 13: The Apocalyptic Rockfight

A truncated version of the clubhouse flashback from Chapter Two is moved to after the Losers Club befriend Mike once they have won the rockfight. The second part of the flashback (featuring an uncharacteristically hyperactive Eddie bickering with Richie and an equally uncharacteristic Beverly speaking with Ben) is removed.

In the scene where the Losers discuss It in the park, Stan’s reference to the “old woman” he sees is removed to be consistent previous edits. This scene leads to Chapter 14: The Album.

Chapter 15: The Smoke-hole

Mike and Bill’s interaction after the restaurant is moved here. This is where we are introduced to the Ritual of Chüd. This is another instance in which the scenes do not technically parallel the events of the book (many of the revelations that Bill experiences during his “trip” are done by the young Losers Club in the novel), but still serve to progress the plot in the same way.

Bill’s over-the-top “I don’t feel so good!” line has been cut.

Chapter 18: The Bullseye

After the Losers Club encounter It for the first time at the house on Neibolt St., the montage portraying their “split” has been rescored with Neil Young’s “Hey Hey, My My (Out of the Blue).” The song is referenced several times in King’s book, and this was a good place to incorporate it.

The chapter finishes with Eddie at the pharmacy learning about his “gazebos,” followed by Beverly being attacked by her father and kidnapped by It.

Part 5: The Ritual of Chüd

Chapter 19: In the Watches of the Night

Back at the townhouse, Ben and Beverly’s scene is moved to before Beverly and Bill’s scene. The flashback to young Bill and Beverly kissing before they kiss as adults is removed. The skateboard that warns Bill that the kid he met is going to die, and the subsequent scene at the carnival in the house of mirrors is removed.

After Henry Bowers attacks Eddie, the brief flashback Ben experiences as he watches Henry escape is removed.

Richie’s montage driving by the synagogue as he reconsiders his decision to abandon the rest of the Losers is removed. The sequence itself is a bit corny, and it makes his return to save Mike in the next scene more surprising.

After the Losers arrive at the library to save Mike from Bowers, the scene ends after Mike remarks: “Where’s Bill?” and the scene in which Beverly calls Bill at the festival and he states his intentions to fight It alone is removed.

The edit transitions back to 1958 to the scene in which Bowers is humiliated by his father in front of his friends, and the following scene in which he receives the switchblade in the mail from Robert Gray. Henry then murders his father.

Since Beverly’s kidnapping has been moved to earlier, the film then picks up from Bill’s discovery of Beverly’s disappearance, and his attempts to collect the remaining Losers to come to her aid. The deleted scene featuring Henry waiting for the Losers outside the house on Neibolt St. is reinstated. The chapter finishes after Henry’s attack on the Losers in the basement at Neibolt.

Chapter 20: The Circle Closes

Back in 1985, the Losers meet Bill at the house on Neibolt St. Bill saying, “Richie said it best,” and the exchange with Richie, is removed. Richie simply proclaims “Let’s kill this fucking clown” after Mike states to Bill they’re going to work together.

Some of Richie’s “quips” or side comments are toned down during the fight inside Neibolt. Bill’s over-the-top chastising of Eddie is toned down, and Eddie’s overly on-the-nose call-back “Please, don’t be mad, Bill,” is removed.

Chapter 21: Under the City

This chapter begins with Beverly’s encounter with It in the cistern after she has been kidnapped. A deleted scene of the Loser’s finding Georgie’s walkie-talkie follows.

Back in 1985, the adult Losers make their way to the cistern. Eddie’s cowardice is again edited to be less over-the-top. Some of his monologue to himself while the Loser’s are underwater saving Beverly is trimmed, as well some of his explanation as to why he can’t go on to It’s inner lair is removed. Richie’s explanation to Eddie as to why Eddie is “braver than [he] thinks…” is trimmed to be—again—less over-the-top.

In 1958, Stanley and the Loser’s encounter the old woman in the sewers (analogous to the golem Stanley encounters at this point in the book). This is followed by Bill entering the cistern and the Adult Losers making their way to It’s inner lair. Bill and the young Losers help Beverly down, and Bill’s confrontation with It disguised as Georgie finishes the chapter.

Chapter 22: Ritual of Chüd

The movie deviates from the book more dramatically in these final chapters. The goal then becomes to accomplish the accelerated cutting between timelines as it occurs in the book and find appropriate “match” edits in order to transition between timelines in a logical and interesting way.

As the ritual begins, The Losers’ “tokens” are again referred to more metaphorically, and side comments from Eddie and Richie as to whether certain items will burn is removed. The balloon explosion transitions back to 1958, where Bill watches Georgie’s dead avatar turn into It. The initial fight between Bill and It transitions back to 1985, where the Losers are confronted by It and become separated. Back in 1958, It gets a hold of Bill and offers the rest of the Losers his “deal” to take only Bill.

Bill’s scene watching himself and Georgie in the basement is removed. The scene’s inclusion subverts the emotional resolution established when young Bill shoots Georgie’s avatar moments before. The sequence in which Eddie and Richie revisit the “doors” set piece from the first confrontation at Neibolt is removed. The humor distracts from the confrontation, and the call back is unnecessary.

The quick flashback showing the entrance to the cavern when Beverly refers to making It small is removed. After the adult Losers are cornered by It at the entrance to the cavern, the edit transitions back to 1958 for the final confrontation sequence.

The final fight in both timelines is intercut through four main sections 1) The Losers stand up to It with their newfound collective belief and trust in each other, 2) The fight turns the tables to put It into a state of fear, 3) The Losers finish It, 4) The Losers embrace in the catharsis of their victory. After the fight, the adult Losers escape the sewers.

Chapter 23: Out

The final chapter begins with the promise scene between the young Losers, followed by the quarry scene with the adult Losers.

After the adult Losers see their younger selves in the shop window, the remaining scenes are replaced by a final montage set to Neil Young’s “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black).”

Original Running Time:
305 minutes

Fan-edit Running Time:
256 minutes

Time Cut:
49 minutes

Time Added:
5 minutes

Last edited:

MDShane1980

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the idea, but you might want to keep the dates to the 80's and the 2010's instead of changing it to the 50's and 80's. The kids stuff is obviously in the 80's and the adult stuff is obviously modern. Otherwise, I love what you are doing.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds really cool and well thought out! I love the idea of edits that use books as the blueprint, and I'm always a big fan of detailed cutlists.
Now, I'm curious, have you checked out @Q2's book cut? I haven't watched it yet, but it seems to have the same goal, and I'm really curious to see how the two edits differ.

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the idea, but you might want to keep the dates to the 80's and the 2010's instead of changing it to the 50's and 80's. The kids stuff is obviously in the 80's and the adult stuff is obviously modern. Otherwise, I love what you are doing.

You're right about that. The above clip is from an earlier draft. Any title cards indicating the year have been adapted to the time periods from the films. Chapter titles have not been adapted in the same way (ie: the title "Chapter 7: The Dam in the Barrens", has not been changed, even though the action on screen does not involve the Losers Club building a dam in the film).

Sounds really cool and well thought out! I love the idea of edits that use books as the blueprint, and I'm always a big fan of detailed cutlists.
Now, I'm curious, have you checked out @Q2's book cut? I haven't watched it yet, but it seems to have the same goal, and I'm really curious to see how the two edits differ.

I had started this project before The Bookish Cut was released. At first I was a bit discouraged, thinking I had missed the opportunity to release this edit since an edit with the same intention already exists. After downloading and enjoying @Q2's edit myself, I found we took drastically different approaches to the films. Though there are numerous differences, the main differences are:
  • The Bookish Cut leans more toward the existing structure of the films, whereas this edit emphasizes a more 'hard-lined' approach to matching the structure of the book.
  • The Bookish Cut leaves Chapter Two more-or-less intact, whereas this edit attempts to address some of the ways in which some feel underwhelmed by Chapter Two in comparison to Chapter One.

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wasn't expecting such a response.
By the way, how did you handle Eddie's fate at the end?

I didn't change anything about his death per se, but I did change the lead up to it. Chapter Two went a little overboard in illustrating his cowardice so he can have his heroic payoff. I softened his reaction when Bill chastises him after Richie is nearly killed by Stanley's severed head (he doesn't give the too on-the-nose "Please don't be mad, Bill" line). I also trimmed some of his lines he speaks to himself when the rest of the group goes to rescue Beverly when she's pulled underwater by Mrs. Kersh, and trimmed some of his "I can't do it...I can't go with you guys" speech (again, just so its not over-the-top).

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't change anything about his death per se, but I did change the lead up to it. Chapter Two went a little overboard in illustrating his cowardice so he can have his heroic payoff. I softened his reaction when Bill chastises him after Richie is nearly killed by Stanley's severed head (he doesn't give the too on-the-nose "Please don't be mad, Bill" line). I also trimmed some of his lines he speaks to himself when the rest of the group goes to rescue Beverly when she's pulled underwater by Mrs. Kersh, and trimmed some of his "I can't do it...I can't go with you guys" speech (again, just so its not over-the-top).
I see. Speaking of which, the trailers advertised an epic underwater sequence with Bev and Mrs. Kersh which never turned up in the final product!

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see. Speaking of which, the trailers advertised an epic underwater sequence with Bev and Mrs. Kersh which never turned up in the final product!
Lol. I just re-watched the trailer and caught the extra footage! That's another thing that bugged me about Chapter Two. No deleted scenes on the Blu-ray...

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And I cannot wait to check out the over six-hour super cut when it comes out on HBO Max or physical media sometime in the near or far future! In the meantime, this will serve as a nice alternative to the public releases. ☺️

angelsolaris23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My partner loves the Stephen King novel. I cannot tell you the hours he has spent talking about it with me after reading it again, its a fantastic story. This edit really honors the source material and in choosing to clearly delineate chapters as the story unfolds through time - its genius. I didn't even notice the movie was 4 hours long because it kept me invested as it switched from the grown cast back to the kids. Which really sells the STORY .... it gives what happens to the adults more weight when you are watching them struggle as kids in time with the film.
Your work during the opening as well, using that particular piece of classical music - so good. When the opening transitions from the past into the present, that scene hits so HARD ... what a great movie.
I would recommend to this edit to any horror fan and definitely a Stephen King fan. I can't wait to see what horror you've worked on and what's next to come. Cheers man!!

Update: After rewatching it something that stood out was that THIS version fixes the main complaint with IT Chapter 2 (2019) - the adults going through all this torture seemed pointless, but watching that unfold in time with the flashbacks - it hits like a truck. You understand clearly WHY they are so afraid. This is a superior edit.

Last edited:

Pulsewidth

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone interested can PM me for a link. The edit has two options:
  • 8GB 1080P VBR 4.2-4.4 MBPS 5.1 AAC 320 KBPS
  • 16GB 1080P VBR 4.4-5.8 MBPS 5.1 AAC 320 KBPS
Hi. Big fan of the book and am totally intrigued by what I've read on your edit, and the positive reviews. Would love a link to the 16GB version please. Will be happy to leave a review afterwards. Thanks in advance! :)

TheAriDrew

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is such a fantastic edit! I watched this with some die-hard King fans and we had such a great time with it. Really amazing job!

webwebster

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This really needed to be done. Part one was a masterpiece, Part Two sucked balls. Amped to see this one.

Top Bottom