• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Isolating Faces (Heads and Necks) of people in images

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is probably a super newb question but I am a super newb when it comes to Photoshop!

I was wondering how you would go about isolating a face, entire outline of head and neck of a person in an image, and then add it as a layer on top of a background and make the edges kinda of fade blend into the background. Not sure if that explanation is sufficient. I will try to find an example to post.

The short answer is to draw a selection around the head, copy, and paste into a new layer. Then put your new background below the pasted head. For fading the edges, you can feather the selection before you copy, or you can use the erase tool after you paste.

Of course the hard part is drawing the selection, especially with strands of hair with background in between the strands. The magnetic lasso tool can help but it can fall short. You can manually add and subtract bits from the selection to fine tune it.

Your image might let you take shortcuts, like turning the whole head one color and selecting by color. Here is an example

http://www.youthedesigner.com/2008/03/10/adobe-photoshop-cs3-tutorials-extract-complex-shapes/

The latest version of Photoshop has a sophisticated selection tool that helps automate all of this

http://www.adobe.com/feature/photos...ent_s_dotcom_s_en_s_products_s_photoshop.html

Thanks for the tips Brumous!

Back
Top Bottom