• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Is there any decent freeware for doing cover art

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All i have is paint and Arcsoft photo impression 4, came with lame camera. it can do some o.k. smudging tricks to blend different pics together, and some other cool effects but is lacking in the layers department imo. Any ideas?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is an online "photoshop like": sumopaint.
It's of course not as good as photoshop and have small amount of filters, but can be useful sometime and has layers:
http://www.sumopaint.com/home/

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GIMP is the freeware version. period. Though IMO, there is no replacing Photoshop

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great! thank's everybody. :D much appriciated

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inkscape is not a Photoshop alternative, it's an Illustrator alternative. Which can be really handy too if you need to draw vector graphics.

Gimp is THE free Photoshop alternative, and - despite the clunky interface - it can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do. There's a wealth of free scripts and plugins too.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Inkscape is not a Photoshop alternative, it's an Illustrator alternative.

I guess that link of mine was wrong then. :oops: My mistake!

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't check your link until now, but most of the other recommendations in that blog are sound (including the underrated and excellent Krita), so it's a genuine mystery to me what Inkscape is doing there.

Also, speaking of that link, I wouldn't waste time on Seashore for Mac either. Unless they've done significant improvements since last year it stinks. It can't even do the limited functions it's supposed to support very well.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah i think im gonna stick with GIMP for now, it seems to have evrything i was looking for an image editor, tho its gonna take me awhile to get used to it, plus i was just looking for something that could change a video clip from night time to day time and it looks like i should be able to do that with gimp, tho very tediously, and frame by frame. Thanks a bunch for the feedback everybody, thank's nOmArch :D

Top Bottom