• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • It's that time again for the Fan Edit Of The Year (FEOTY) 2022 Awards: Call for Nominations!

Vote NOW for October FEOTM!

Is there a place for us? (What happened to the Fair Use principle?)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you sure that the new terms of service do not lead to an imminent crackdown on this practice?
And what about their "robust" warning about copyright violations? (They are placing all the legal responsibility on the user... Is it a necessary declaration, or is it something more "effective"?)
They're not cops, they're a company. What do you expect?

adrjork

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only time I have ever had a copyright strike on an edit was when I uploaded it to Mediafire as an unprotected multi-part zip file. Since then I have shared my edits as AES256-encrypted 7zip files (split into 200MB chunks for ease of downloading), uploaded to a Mega account. The 7z file format means that without the password the contents are invisible (with a password protected zip file you can still see the names of the files in the archive, which may be enough to trip some filters), and AES256 is sufficiently strong encryption that it is very difficult to brute force with available systems and technology.
Fantastic strategy! So when a user writes you a private message asking to see your fanedit, you send him both the MEGA link and the password for the 7z archive. So my question is: do you send him both link and password simply replying to the private message in fanedit(dot)org? Or do you use a different messaging "external" service lika temporary emails? And do you include both the link and password in the same message? Or do you send the two informations separately?
Thank in advance

In terms of "a place for us", the closest thing to being able to fanedit out in the open would be the occasionally discussed approach of sharing your project file and a list of required sources and preparation steps (i.e. sharing the recipe for the fanedit rather than the finished dish). I think this is a great idea in theory but made quite complex in practice due to things like minor runtime differencea between releases of the same film, not to mention NLEs not generally being cross-compatible.
Well, normally I would say it's completely unfeasible because everyone should have to buy the licenses of the involved plugins (I'm using about ten proprietary plugins just for audio "restoration") and the NLE projects should work completely on-the-fly, without requiring any preparatory steps (instead, many times files require preliminary preparation on external software like Topaz for enlargements, iZotope for sound cleaning, Affinity Photo for still images, etc), UNLESS... unless a bunch of faneditors would decide to draw up a sort of FanEdit DOGMA with a series of rules including the sharing of NLE OnTheFly-ONLY projects based exclusively on a cross-platform and free (and opensource???) NLE software. Very radical... Very chic!

Last edited:

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For me, sharing the link and password together is fine - tbh if someone has gotten so far as to contact me asking for them (or sought them out somewhere like info), I'm fine sharing. But that's partly because what edits I've done haven't really been near high-profile titles, nor distributed by more active companies like Disney. I guess for others that might vary. I have seen some folks who share passwords or links for their edits via ROT13-scrambled text, but again that wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny.

As for a fanedit Dogme95 - it's an interesting idea, though my one ongoing wish for fanedits in general would be for new editors to think "maybe 2000 edits of the Prequel Trilogy is enough" and equivalent thoughts for any franchise that has already got numerous edits. But that's selfishness because I'm not interested in those edits, and nobody should feel obligated to indulge me (or anyone else!) in an idea if it doesn't actively interest them...

adrjork

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For me, sharing the link and password together is fine - tbh if someone has gotten so far as to contact me asking for them (or sought them out somewhere like info), I'm fine sharing. But that's partly because what edits I've done haven't really been near high-profile titles, nor distributed by more active companies like Disney. I guess for others that might vary. I have seen some folks who share passwords or links for their edits via ROT13-scrambled text, but again that wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny.
Mmm... Well, I wrongly supposed there was a sort of "common method" (common to the Fanedit community) to share links and passw. Instead you are saying everyone has their own strategy... (Is there somewhere a discussion about faneditors sharing strategies? A nonsense, right...)
Let me understand the ROT13 method: if you receive a private message (here in Fanedit) with the request for link&passw, you would answer with scrambled link&passw, and then you would write a second private message with the info "Hey, just give a look to Rot13DotCom"? Something like that? Just to avoid having written proof of the real link&passw? Well, I don't know... Perhaps I would prefer something else: let's say that someone writes to me a private message, I would reply asking him for an email address and then sending to him a temporary mail like guerrillamail or similar.
But please let me ask another thing: when someone privately asks for links, he should also declare that he owns the original medium. Should he also give a proof of that, like a photo of the disc or something? And what if the medium is "liquid"?

Last edited:

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unfortunately I don't think there is a standard method for distributing links etc. The methods that I know of are:
  • Tell people to contact you via a specific channel e.g. PM, email etc
  • Submit the edit to a sharing site like info or TheFaneditNetwork (it's best not to link directly to sites like this, but just mention the name)
  • Post on one of the fanedit subreddits - ROT13 or Base64 encoding might be useful here, or some other link/password obfuscation method
  • Post on a fanedit blog - ROT13 or Base64 encoding might be useful here, or some other link/password obfuscation method
The intention of using something like ROT13 or Base64 encoding is to reduce the chance that, if the link is scraped by a bot and processed by an automated system looking for copyright-infringing uploads, the exact link (which can be downloaded by such an automated system) will not be shown. Personally I would not do this when sharing via PM, because really it just adds needless complication to the process of sharing your edit.

In terms of proof of ownership, some editors request this via e.g. photo of their copy of the media. This is much more of a "personal mileage" sort of question, particularly as we have now seen edits released of material only available on streaming platforms.

Top Bottom