• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Is mega still the hoster of choice?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I was to be hosting for free, I understand Mega gave me 50GB which has been used up storing mine and other rarer fanedits. I need to upload another rare one for others to enjoy. I don't have any more space - so is mega still the hoster of choice? Or are there better options?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mega seems to be the most common. Some people use Drive. 

If you're past your limit you should be able to just create another account with a different email address. Then you have another 50gb to play with.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mega is the most convenient for most people too.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks - I'll open another account for this fanedit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FYI, Mega has recently reduced their free user accounts to 15gb total. This seems to have retroactively hit preexisting accounts as well as a few of mine are now at 15gb. In looking into other options, it seems like Degoo is a viable alternative and gives 100gb of free storage. The interface is pretty clunky and I'm not sure it will allow for streaming options though.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoa, down from 50 to 15?  I have several accounts at like 48.  I haven't gotten any notifications yet though.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My accounts still give me 50 GB too.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"DigModiFicaTion" did you get an email?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No. I uploaded a file. The account had about 28gb of space left, then after uploading a 13gb file it said I had exceeded my limit. Maybe it just kicks in after you upload?

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
old mega accounts remain as they were, only new ones are 15gb.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks @"Plissken1138" 

Guess I better not lose my passwords ;)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plissken1138 said:
old mega accounts remain as they were, only new ones are 15gb.

I've had my mega accounts for a couple of years. Maybe they just thought I take too much space up ;)

Ich1go

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Mega. Always fast downloading and little hassles. Links don't tend to last that long though.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got a warning that one of my mega accounts was being shutdown for lack of use. It's one that gets the most downloads from so it must require you to log in to count as being used. Anyway, it also went from 50gb down to 15gb. I used 20gb of space and it retained that much so it looks like 20gb/15gb used. I did a little research and it looks like this is what Mega does:
  • 15GB permanent + 35GB bonus during 30 days (account signup bonus);
  • 15GB permanent + 20GB bonus during 180 days by installing the MEGASync app on your desktop computer (MEGASync desktop bonus);
  • 15GB permanent + 15GB bonus during 180 days by installing the MEGASync app on your smartphone (MEGASync smartphone bonus);
  • 15GB permanent + 10GB bonus during 365 days by inviting someone and have that someone also install MEGASync (invite bonus).
It looks like if you load it up during the first 30 days you get to keep the excess, but I wonder how long that will last. Are there any other hosting sites that could take the place of Mega?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find Drive often fails with large downloads.

Top Bottom