• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Is it possible to choose where the layer change occurs on a dual-layer DVD?

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using Womble DVD Editor as part of MPEG Video WIzard 5.0. It gives an option to choose between a 4.38 GB disc and a 7.92 GB disc. I just did a test encode of "Carly's Story", and it's slightly too big to fit on a single-layer DVD. I'd like to put it on a dual-layer disc (which would also give me enough space to add the audio commentary that I'd recorded), but I want to know if it's possible to choose where the layer change occurs, so there won't be a noticable pause in the middle of something important.

It is possible to choose where a layer change is on a DL DVD. I believe that is done in the DVD building software though.

However, I would suggest that if it's just slightly larger than a DVD5 you would be better off to render it as a DVD9, then use a program like DVD Rebuilder/CCE to rebuild it to a DVD5.

reave said:
I would suggest that if it's just slightly larger than a DVD5 you would be better off to render it as a DVD9, then use a program like DVD Rebuilder/CCE to rebuild it to a DVD5.

I can do that in Womble DVD Editor. I also have DVD Shrink.

I'd like to add another title with the audio commentary (since I can't add multiple audio tracks with this program), so I might just buy a DVD9 and do a test burn, so I can see for myself whether the pause is intrusive or not.

If it ends up bad, then I'll likely relegate the audio commentary to my YouTube channel and simply remove the trailer for my upcoming Gundam fan edit (which is likely what's pushing it over the top).

Mark Moore said:
I can do that in Womble DVD Editor. I also have DVD Shrink.

While you can do that in those programs, I would not recommend using them unless you're VERY close to being a DVD5. Both produce a much poorer quality "shrink" than a true multi-pass encoding program would do. If you don't have access to or can't afford DVDRebuilder/CCE or a similar encoder, you could ask around the forum to see if anyone will encode it for you.

Back
Top Bottom