• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Interstellar: The Demise

I don't think I can convince you otherwise, so I'll stop trying, but for me it makes sense. Time loops are very weird but the effects are entirely logical.

Yeah that's my point. I understand the modus operandi for the space people. But even they need a cause, which is themselves, which makes no sense because they were at one point US.
This could easily be circumverted by not mentioning their origins and leaving that up in the air.
Yes yes but then, who was John Connor's dad before Kyle Reese showed up? :alien:

Yes yes but then, who was John Connor's dad before Kyle Reese showed up? :alien:
The difference between this and Terminator is that it's not trying to make you believe it makes sense. :p Also the further Terminator goes with it's timetravel the more messy it becomes lol.

Not to mention the fact that the beings could simply have been aliens and prevented any such paradox.

I'm just messing around.

If you wanted you could show the alien to sell the idea.

There's a moment in Pacific Rim where Charlie Day plugs his brain into a monster brain and had flashes of where they come from, it looks similar enough to the accordion bookcase but clearly alien.
There's a moment in Independence Day when the mothership is receiving the virus, it's obviously older looking though.

Both of these are extremely quick shots, if one or a similar but different shot were used I imagine it would be while he's entering the black hole but before he gets to the bookcases.

I'm just messing around.

If you wanted you could show the alien to sell the idea.

There's a moment in Pacific Rim where Charlie Day plugs his brain into a monster brain and had flashes of where they come from, it looks similar enough to the accordion bookcase but clearly alien.
There's a moment in Independence Day when the mothership is receiving the virus, it's obviously older looking though.

Both of these are extremely quick shots, if one or a similar but different shot were used I imagine it would be while he's entering the black hole but before he gets to the bookcases.
It's far easier, just remove Cooper saying it's humans. :p Not seeing them is fine, but telling us what they are removes all mystery and just gives paradoxes in return. It's not the best tradeoff.

It's far easier, just remove Cooper saying it's humans. :p Not seeing them is fine, but telling us what they are removes all mystery and just gives paradoxes in return. It's not the best tradeoff.
I agree with Mr. Couch completely but not everyone has considered this dilemma as deeply as those of us who are either involved in an edit of the movie or oversaw an edit of the movie. I was slightly involved in both of the edits and believe that this edit can survive quite well with the approach that Donkey has determined.

I do personally agree with your theology and approach more for personal reasons, Mr. Couch.

So this was extremely easy to fix by simply re-instating some scenes and removing the 'future humans' line. It's actually already done. I think I'll just update the listing so that it has two versions of the Demise. One with no paradoxbut with the happy ending and one with no time travel and everyone dies. Pick your poison.

Last edited:
I obviously haven’t seen this edit yet (and I haven’t seen the original since it was first released), but for me it wasn’t the time issues that bothered me. It was how silly things got once Cooper is across the event horizon. It felt like a different movie to me.

I obviously haven’t seen this edit yet (and I haven’t seen the original since it was first released), but for me it wasn’t the time issues that bothered me. It was how silly things got once Cooper is across the event horizon. It felt like a different movie to me.
That basically IS the time issue though, wouldn't you say? Or are you talking more about the reunion with his daughter, rather than the closet time travel stuff?

That basically IS the time issue though, wouldn't you say? Or are you talking more about the reunion with his daughter, rather than the closet time travel stuff?
Well, as I said, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but it was more the way it was presented than the ideas of the time travel…the being inside the bookcase stuff.

What always struck me as odd was that there is a BOOK closet but rather than just using for example first letters of every book, he uses MORSE CODE to relay an equation. Like I get it Murph is super duper smart but cmon. There are easier alternatives right there to get her attention. :p

I don't mind anything in the original movie except one line. Anne Hathaway, serious scientist, says "love is the one thing that we are capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space". I can buy literally everything else including the happy ending, but that line sounds like it was supposed to come out of a completely different character that got cut from the script but they saved the line or something. It is so fluffy and meaningless I almost don't even want to know what they thought they were saying. There's no context or elaboration on what she means by love transcending space and time being different from other things (what about hate? Is it not capable of anything love is? What about measurable photons that literally transcend space and time in quantum experiments? We can't perceive them?) Instant wtf for me. But again, the only wtf for me.

The only thing he can influence is gravity, so pushing them off the shelf in a pattern is pretty much it. It's the first thing he discovers. He slams the shelf in frustration and a single book falls off (a single book falling that he saw before he left, but likely forgot about). That leads him to making them fall in a way that conveys information. It's unclear whether he latches on to this strategy because in his desperation it's all he can think of, or whether he remembers Murphy telling him about the books falling and forming a pattern.

I love the idea that all he has to work with is gravity...

I don't mind anything in the original movie except one line. Anne Hathaway, serious scientist, says "love is the one thing that we are capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space". I can buy literally everything else including the happy ending, but that line sounds like it was supposed to come out of a completely different character that got cut from the script but they saved the line or something. It is so fluffy and meaningless I almost don't even want to know what they thought they were saying. There's no context or elaboration on what she means by love transcending space and time being different from other things (what about hate? Is it not capable of anything love is? What about measurable photons that literally transcend space and time in quantum experiments? We can't perceive them?) Instant wtf for me. But again, the only wtf for me.
Yup, I detest that line too. Also her line about gravity crossing the dimensions, and her speculation that the "beings" exist outside of time. She doesn't know these things (she can't). Cooper begins to learn (and speculate) only after he's in the tesseract. I DO like that she's drawn to visit Edmunds' planet instead of Mann's because of a strong feeling (love), and I like that she acknowledges it isn't logical.

These lines are in the script purely to help the audience digest and understand what the heck is going on in the tesseract.

Yup, I detest that line too. Also her line about gravity crossing the dimensions, and her speculation that the "beings" exist outside of time. She doesn't know these things (she can't). Cooper begins to learn (and speculate) only after he's in the tesseract. I DO like that she's drawn to visit Edmunds' planet instead of Mann's because of a strong feeling (love), and I like that she acknowledges it isn't logical.

These lines are in the script purely to help the audience digest and understand what the heck is going on in the tesseract.
Agreed, I cut all these lines apart from her interpretation of the beings in this alternate version. She actually says she has no idea how they function and only makes a wild guess. That's actually a good line imo. But yeah her saying it must be gravity is completely out of left field as well as the love transcends time and space line. It's so corny lol.
EDIT: nvm cooper says they communicate through gravity here now. Guess Ill cut it too lol.

Back
Top Bottom