• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Interstellar: The Demise

And this is the opening without the monologues about the past by the old people since they wouldn't be nostalgic about it lol

Is there an audio crossfade at 0:25? There's a low frequency note that fades out quite quickly with a few notes that sound a little odd rhythmically to me.

The audio works quite well, I think. It does sound like there's a change in acoustics, but it is slight. It's mostly the visual editing that's throwing me. A couple too many quick cut aways. It also sounds like there might be some incomplete foley at 0:13? No footsteps.

about the cuts there simply isnt another way to do this. Either I made him teleport to dr brand or I cut away to the sky to at least give him time to realistically get there lol. I'm all ears for a better alternative!

Might as well post this here since its almost completed. I watched Interstellar and wondered if the movie could be done without the time travel aspect where one man saves the world by becoming a poltergeist.

So that's exactly what I did.

Changes I made so far:

- Remove any lines about ghosts and scenes with ghost like behavior. In my edit the girl is bullied a bit by her brother because she believes in ghosts and that's it.

- Removed the whole waistline section with the professor because its immature.

- Removed the mention of a magnetic field when the equipment malfunctions. Make it just a routine inspection.

- Repurposed the sequence where Dr Brand tells the granddad and the kids they can send messages and made it appear like Cooper gets a mysterious message/invitation. Then we cut to him contemplating what to do and deciding to leave. It all feels pretty organic actually with the audience left wondering whats going on, and Cooper's interrogation now still makes sense because even though he was invited he himself mentions these ai soldiers can act unpredictable.

- Removed lines where the daughter tells Cooper she only got to NASA because of her.

- Removed all interrogation about how they got to NASA since they got invited. I did keep the AI guard in because Cooper himself mentions they can be erratic.

- female dr Brands response 'yes you do' now feels like she knows he was invited when Cooper says he knows nothing about this place.

- Again: removed all mentions of 'them' during the briefing scene.

- Removed Matt Damons repeat of the poem

- Shortened the sequence with the daughter and son on earth. She doesnt have a eureka moment because ghost dad doesnt exist in this cut.

- Shortened the moment where they go check on the lungs of the child with a doctor to be less dramatic just for dramas sake.

- Removed the book closet space worm thing, but kept in the hand shake scene as a dreamlike sequence.

- Cut to Cooper dying

- Show the aftermath of everything during the credits. Crops being burned. Coopers daughter looking for a better place. The astronaut stranded with no hope for anyone to come to her aid.

99% done now. All I need to perfect it is a good voice over for the mechanics working on the compass.
This sounds like a great idea! Can't wait to see it!

Your transition works better and it felt better paced with those shots put back in. Still a little choppy at "to cooper" though and you're still missing footsteps foley at 0:30.

It's hard to suggest stuff without knowing what footage there is. Could "to cooper" come as the girl walks back into the house? Would that free you up to use shots where you don't have to think about syncing his lips? I think the trouble is that the shot of him is quick, the shot of the sky seems random, and the jump in continuity for the grandpa to be suddenly so close just combines for it feeling jarring.

Your transition works better and it felt better paced with those shots put back in. Still a little choppy at "to cooper" though and you're still missing footsteps foley at 0:30.

It's hard to suggest stuff without knowing what footage there is. Could "to cooper" come as the girl walks back into the house? Would that free you up to use shots where you don't have to think about syncing his lips? I think the trouble is that the shot of him is quick, the shot of the sky seems random, and the jump in continuity for the grandpa to be suddenly so close just combines for it feeling jarring.

Hmm you got me thinking. I might cut away before he walks over.

Besides that the footprint audio is the original so Im not sure what you mean. Oooooh the girl. Yeah i dunno I guess she's really quiet on her feet lol. Thats the actual audio. Will fix it, you dont normally hear it cause of the car engine.

Yeah, that's pretty much all that's there in the scene aside from a clip where Donald is walking towards Brand. But unless you want to loop in a new line for Lithgow, it won't work.

I wonder: What if you started the movie at rocket launch, then did short flashbacks as the mission progresses to help the audience understand "how we got here". You can be really particular with what you show, and you wouldn't need to even explain why Cooper is at NASA. It would be enough to just have a clip where Brand is explaining why the situation is so dire (when they are looking at the corn being sampled). Maybe this is during his original recruitment with the other team members? Doesn't matter. Audience can decide.

Oooh, and maybe the final flashback is the scene with his daughter just before he leaves the farm. So you get a gut punch as he drives away, then two hours later an even bigger one when you learn what they said to each other before he left. Ooof. A bit like Memento. The pieces don't click until the very end.

Yeah that would be interesting but it would mean I would have to do EVERYTHING all over again :p

All I need to fix is this dr brand scene and im golden

So.... I think I improved it as much as possible and the edit is now considered finished imo. The cut to the grandfather walking to dr brand is a bit fast, but it's either that or missing dialogue and it's not that big of a deal compared to the random sky shot. :)

^^ I'm only listening on laptop speakers atm, but it definitely works a lot better than what you had before. Is Dr Brand Matt M? I agree those shots are a bit quick. They fit better than the sky shot though I think.

^^ I'm only listening on laptop speakers atm, but it definitely works a lot better than what you had before. Is Dr Brand Matt M? I agree those shots are a bit quick. They fit better than the sky shot though I think.
Yeah it's a bit quick but litterally the ONLY shots that fit without people talking lol. And she does go inside, so cutting to him studying something isn't even that out of place.

Last edited:
ALL credits for the choice of the audio track go to ArtisDead. Genius.

I can see what you're going for. Personally, I would make a trailer half that length though, if you want to hook people in. There also seems to be quite a bit of compression going on - both with the video and the audio. Presumably that isn't representative of the quality of the edit, but ideally your trailer should be, as its sole purpose is to provide a bite-sized window into what you've done. Whatever track you have coming in at 3:43 is only coming out of the right audio channel and sounds very lossy.

To be really nitpicky, grammatically you should have commas before/after Cooper's name when you're addressing him. Your text isn't always clearly visible, so I would also recommend adding a bit of shadow to help it sit better and come across a bit clearer.

I agree. It’s a clever, funny video, but not good marketing for your edit IMO. To add to the grammar issues, there’s either one too many or one too few periods at the very end.

I can see what you're going for. Personally, I would make a trailer half that length though, if you want to hook people in. There also seems to be quite a bit of compression going on - both with the video and the audio. Presumably that isn't representative of the quality of the edit, but ideally your trailer should be, as its sole purpose is to provide a bite-sized window into what you've done. Whatever track you have coming in at 3:43 is only coming out of the right audio channel and sounds very lossy.

To be really nitpicky, grammatically you should have commas before/after Cooper's name when you're addressing him. Your text isn't always clearly visible, so I would also recommend adding a bit of shadow to help it sit better and come across a bit clearer.
Yeah the edit is a bit long I agree I was just having fun. Compression was me reaching my vimeo limit lol. I will probably re-upload it next week. Maybe make it a little shorter too.

So.... I think I improved it as much as possible and the edit is now considered finished imo. The cut to the grandfather walking to dr brand is a bit fast, but it's either that or missing dialogue and it's not that big of a deal compared to the random sky shot. :)

It might actually work without the shot of Lithgow taking the object. He pulls it out of his briefcase, then you cut back into the farmhouse, and frankly it felt finished to me. The jarring part was the cut back to outside.

Back
Top Bottom