• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought the box set to some slightly annoying results. The discs are great, but I found out through some trial and error that my old trusty PS3 disc drive is likely dead.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I bought the box set to some slightly annoying results. The discs are great, but I found out through some trial and error that my old trusty PS3 disc drive is likely dead.

The drive stopped working on mine recently ("slimline"). It had done many years of reliable service. It would take in discs but not read them. From reading up, I thought it probably needed a new laser, or "laser deck" but I thought it'd be easier to just replace the whole thing. So I bought a 2nd hand one off eBay for about £35/$43.

It's not that difficult to replace if you've got a set of mini screw drivers (including one Torx driver, I forget what size) and follow some online guides and youtube videos. You'll need to find the right drive for you model by looking inside your ps3 for a name like "KEM-450" or whatever. The little circuit board on your current drive will need screwed into the new drive by the way.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
addiesin said:

The drive stopped working on mine recently ("slimline"). It had done many years of reliable service. It would take in discs but not read them. From reading up, I thought it probably needed a new laser, or "laser deck" but I thought it'd be easier to just replace the whole thing. So I bought a 2nd hand one off eBay for about £35/$43.

It's not that difficult to replace if you've got a set of mini screw drivers (including one Torx driver, I forget what size) and follow some online guides and youtube videos. You'll need to find the right drive for you model by looking inside your ps3 for a name like "KEM-450" or whatever. The little circuit board on your current drive will need screwed into the new drive by the way.

Yeah I might have to go that route, that sounds exactly like what mine's doing. It takes the disc but won't even start spinning. Confirmed it was doing the same on other discs, not just the MCU ones. Glad to know a "real person" has gone through the process, that makes it less scary than JUST relying on the word of a youtuber. I'd definitely prefer keeping the PS3 rather than replacing it, and it seems like that's the cheapest option. Thanks again, TM2YC!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went ahead and ordered more of those box sets to complete my MCU film collection (until they release more, anyway). I have a few doubles now from phase 2 but the originals I had were bought used and on sale so not too much spent double dipping and my completionist side is satisfied. My brother in law may be getting a few random movies handed down. Hopefully this still counts as somewhat on topic still since I think all of them being region-free is interesting and has sparked my curiosity about more possible region-free imports.

I also bought a new Blu-ray player. I'll try tinkering with the PS3 another time, I just don't trust myself opening it up yet, need to do some more research, watch more videos, read more guides, find the right drive for my model, etc. But I want to watch some Blu-rays now.

That's all, just wanted to provide some closure for this little saga in case anyone was on the edge of their seat waiting to know what happened, haha.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Wonder Woman" (1975) is finally coming to Blu-ray. I still don't understand why they didn't release it in 2017 to coincide with the movie.

Unlike the HD but cropped version that's been on Amazon Prime for years, this will almost certainly have the original aspect ratio, and is probably from the same restoration that the beautifully restored (and original aspect ratio) DC Universe streaming version was sourced from.

145562_front.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087GVXZ29/

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A new 4K restoration of Flash Gordon is arriving in August on UHD in a stacked boxset with the soundtrack, a comic, loads of awesome artwork and a feature length doc:

913OO3MEBqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flash-Gordon-Anniversary-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B087XLTTB8/

The new trailer is terrific:

It'll be sad if cinemas haven't reopened in time for it to get a limited theatrical re-release.

<hr style="border: 1px solid white;" />

I've been hitting refresh on the Second Sight website since they announced pre-orders for their definitive new limited edition boxset of the oddly out-of-print 'Dawn of the Dead' (blu-ray and UHD), it's finally available today and I've ordered one already.

51kWcab7K%2BL._AC_.jpg

EUIVCl8WoAAukal

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/collections/latest-releases

It's worth it just for the triple CD soundtrack!

Criterion are putting the complete films of Agnes Varda together in one mammoth 15-disc set (22 films) including all her most recent works. It isn't cheap though at $174/£140 :( .

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/3432-the-complete-films-of-agn-s-varda

smINhRNA2qK8N55UWT9FAG7R7nHGdN_original.jpg

The trailer for the set looks so good:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IIRC, the Theatrical Cut of 'Enter the Dragon' has never been released in HD before (there have been some fan reconstructions in a mix of HD/SD) but I notice the forthcoming Criterion Bruce Lee boxset includes both cuts in a new 2K scan:

gBkyF66ljGOQftgY8aYsoavm2xcpy3_original.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Enter-the-Dragon-Blu-ray/267536/

It's too expensive for me but hopefully the TC will be made available separately, or find it's way on to other sets, in other regions. The original Enter the Dragon blu-ray release of the DC (an early entry for the format) was a weak upscale, so having either cut in a new scan is welcome.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Interesting.  I looked up everything included in the set.  They're calling it "Bruce Lee's Greatest Hits", which I'm sure is cheeky wordplay, but is kind of disingenuous.  It includes Game of Death, an atrocious film, the end product of which he had quite limited involvement in.  And they omit much of his very good, groundbreaking TV work.  They also include the film Game of Death II, which was a pure cash grab, had nothing to do with Bruce, and was also btw a horrible film.

Rather than Game of Death, I wish they'd include Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey, about half of which is a walkthrough of the film Bruce envisioned Game of Death would be, a warrior's journey through not only skills but the philosophy of combat.  They reconstruct the film through unseen footage, outtakes, Bruce's original script notes, and interviews.

Rather than all the other documentaries they have on Bruce, I'd rather they include the best one with the most interviews that matter: The Curse of the Dragon.  It is by far the best and most revealing assemblage of any of the many, many documentaries I've seen on Bruce.

I'm normally overwhelmed by the care and extras in Criterion editions, but I have to say that this set is somewhat disappointing.  It's just got the 4K versions (only 2K for Enter the Dragon.)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are they new transfers/do they contain any new content? If not, I wonder what releases their based off.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
TM2YC said:
A new 4K restoration of Flash Gordon is arriving in August on UHD in a stacked boxset with the soundtrack, a comic, loads of awesome artwork and a feature length doc:

913OO3MEBqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flash-Gordon-Anniversary-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B087XLTTB8/
So beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must. Have.

I bought the North American Limited Edition!  Slightly less swag, but still beautiful.

The new 4K scan is FANTASTIC!  Highly recommend for fans of the movie.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a one-stop-shop German blu-ray boxset with all David Lynch's films from ArtHaus. I like the cover art:

03IP0vb.jpg

jPx51nS.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Lynch-Complete-Film-Collection/dp/B07HGH9T3K/

71L8khBvLHL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Denzel's classic neo-noir 'Devil in a Blue Dress' is getting a release on the Indicator label. I don't think it's been released on blu-ray before.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-Blue-Dress-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B08JMQNMJS/

91LqwiyWM1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

James Cameron's first film 'Piranha 2' is getting a new 2K scan of the negative.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Piranha-Spawning-Limited-Units-Blu-ray/dp/B088V9DPF7/

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Muppet Christmas Carol will finally be getting the missing song/scene "When Love Is Gone" restored in the new 4K release, apparently. Funny timing, since I was just today looking into restoring it... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertai...g0nyoac3h6XGMuxW1hv03E1q3rnTFwXehjmQ-RDXfWRbo

I'm not sure I buy all of that stuff they told Henson.  The film's been available in some places like Amazon digital with the song as a bonus, in widescreen, in 1080p for at least a year, so they didn't just find the scene in a quality higher than Laserdisc and haven't been unable to release it uncut until now.  The version added to Disney+ UK when it launched is still the cut version, when, as I say, they had it in HD prior to that.  However, it's subtlety lower quality on the Amazon version than the rest of the movie, like it's from a 35mm print, rather than the negative.  So maybe they've gone back and found the actual negative for the scene in this new 4K version.  Fingers crossed.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
12886_tn[1].jpg

I notice this forthcoming (June) Indiana Jones boxset says "Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.". Which could mean the little changes made to the films are reversed, or it could mean more of them?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ there were little changes that needed reversing on previous releases? Like George Lucas style? I don't think I knew that...

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I notice this forthcoming (June) Indiana Jones boxset says "Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.". Which could mean the little changes made to the films are reversed, or it could mean more of them?
Ooh, I hope the remastered Temple of Doom will include the two (yes, 2) missing frames during Indy and Short Round's card game. That would get me to revise my edit (#stickler-for-detail).

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points

If this is an April Fool's joke, shame on Warner. If this is real, it's a dream come true. There was a brief Blu-Ray release of the movie in an uncut format that went out of print absurdly fast. Other than that, the only releases that were uncut and in the original aspect ratio were on Laser Disc and VHS. Otherwise it's cropped, cut, rescored, dubbed, etc.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i2dqVhvRpOpqz4MVJyosLQWXyEKPOz_large[1].jpg

Finally! The brilliant Bill Duke film 'Deep Cover' is getting it's first worldwide HD release and it's a new 4K scan from Criterion:

I uploaded the DVD trailer to youtube a few years ago because the other versions were terrible quality:

Hopefully the Criterion disc has the trailer in full HD.

Attachments

• 2v39n1e11dt61[1].png
    2v39n1e11dt61[1].png
    251.7 KB · Views: 145
Top Bottom