• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
71ia4qlvkGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1989's 'Scandal' featuring John Hurt, Ian McKellen and Bridget Fonda is getting it's first ever worldwide HD release on blu-ray from the BFI next February. Restored from original elements. Extras are still to be confirmed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scandal-Dual-Format-Blu-ray-John/dp/B07W47FRW4/

81SEcpVL3zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The original version of 'Edge of Darkness' (not the Mel Gibson remake) is getting it's first blu-ray release next month. Remastered from the 16mm materials. The extras are a bit vague but they seem to suggest it comes with Eric Clapton and Michael Kamen's score in some form.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-of-Darkness-BBC-Blu-ray/dp/B07Y5VBHR3/

1835fee0-0360-4734-80ad-7832b12748ba.jpg

Happily Arrow video are re-releasing their long out-of-print Vincent Price/Edgar Allan Poe/Roger Corman blu-ray boxset this month (sans book). The original set goes for £100-150 on eBay, this is more affordable at £25. £4 a blu-ray is great value with all the bonus features, I've pre-ordered one already :) .

https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/six-gothic-tales-blu-ray/FCD1967

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sony Home Media Headquarters

Boss: "Daniels! We're gonna sell a four-pack of the two Tom Holland Spidey movies, the animated one, and Venom. Can you come up with a name for the set by lunchtime?"

Narrator: Daniels could not.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is the cheapest Universal monster boxset with the most movies, not worrying about quality? DVD or bluray

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, TM2YC. I think I'll pick up this complete set. It's the same price right now as the main films set.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pet-Shop-Boys-4.jpg

Hallelujah! Pet Shop Boys' 1988 surreal 86-minute seaside pop video film thing 'It Couldn't Happen Here' is finally being re-released and on blu-ray in June from the BFI. It was last available to buy back when VHS (my older brother had a tape of it) and Laserdisc were the formats of choice. I'm looking forward to seeing if the mad humour holds up as well as the music still does.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Couldnt-Happen-Here-DVD-Blu-ray/dp/B084DG7D2Q/

Let's hope the new transfer is at least as good as this trailer :D :

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple of releases on the News page of blu-ray.com caught my eye:

Alastair Sim's School for Laughter is a 4-disc blu-ray box set which includes 'Belles of St. Trinians', 'School for Scoundrels', 'Laughter in Paradise' and 'Hue and Cry'. I know and like the first three, but haven't heard of the fourth. $70 pre-order, but hoping it'll come down.

The Great Escape is being released by Criterion and I'll probably be picking that up at their next half-price flash sale. An absolute classic of a film, and an impressive set of features:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • Two audio commentaries, one from 1991, featuring director John Sturges and composer Elmer Bernstein; the other, from 2004, featuring actors James Coburn, James Garner, and Donald Pleasence
  • New interview with critic Michael Sragow
  • "The Great Escape": Heroes Underground, a four-part 2001 documentary about the real-life escape from the Stalag Luft III prisoner-of-war camp during World War II, including interviews with POWs held there
  • The Real Virgil Hilts: A Man Called Jones, a 2001 program on the United States Army Air Forces pilot David Jones, the inspiration for Steve McQueen's character in the film
  • Return to "The Great Escape," a 1993 program featuring interviews with Coburn, Garner, actors David McCallum and Jud Taylor, stuntman Bud Ekins, and McQueen's son, Chad McQueen
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Sheila O'Malley

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know a lot of you are going to be excited by this one...

81gstlQ7NML._SX466_.jpg

Before you think "that sounds really boring", remember this is the BEST of the Central Office of Information:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-COI-2-disc-Blu-ray/dp/B084DGMFMH

You can pre-order now, don't miss out!

81ihzkGd%2B5L._SX425_.jpg

Police Squad is being released on blu-ray in Regions A & B in April:

https://www.amazon.com/Police-Squad-Complete-William-Duell/dp/B084DH8BJF

It's got identical artwork to the old DVD but lets hope the transfer is a new scan.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I know a lot of you are going to be excited by this one...

81gstlQ7NML._SX466_.jpg

Before you think "that sounds really boring", remember this is the BEST of the Central Office of Information:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-COI-2-disc-Blu-ray/dp/B084DGMFMH

You can pre-order now, don't miss out!

Are these the Public Service Announcement films they used to show us in school? I remember one about not playing in in a power station. The kid kept getting zapped. Scared the wotsits out of me. Plus, I loved the 'Charlie says' cartoons!

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the same page as Police Squad on Blu-Ray...

TOP SECRET with Val Kilmer (as made by the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams, same guys behind Airplane and the Naked Gun) is finally getting a Blu-Ray release exclusive to Australia for about $13 USD on Amazon.

259536_front.jpg

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone know if David Lynch's Lime Green set is worth getting? Initially I thought it was a set of all of his movies with some bonus stuff, but it seems to only have a few of his films, and mostly short films, experimental stuff, and bonus content. While I'm interested in watching it all, the cheapest I can find it is around $110 on ebay.
Does anyone have this and can attest to its quality?

Edit: I went ahead and ordered it.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I was reading about the Arrow blu-ray of the Spaghetti Western 'The Grand Duel' here. The review says the slightly censored UK release and the uncensored US release are the same disc. Depending on which region player you use, A or B, it will load up a different cut of the film. Because the US R-Rating is a little harder than a UK 15-rating, Hollywood movies are sometimes slightly trimmed for the UK to avoid an 18-rating. So I wonder if there other blu-rays that work like that?

Interesting!  Never heard of region-dependent viewing on a disc!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
71ia4qlvkGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1989's 'Scandal' featuring John Hurt, Ian McKellen and Bridget Fonda is getting it's first ever worldwide HD release on blu-ray from the BFI next February. Restored from original elements. Extras are still to be confirmed.
What a great, under-rated movie!

Bobson Dugnutt said:
TOP SECRET with Val Kilmer (as made by the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams, same guys behind Airplane and the Naked Gun) is finally getting a Blu-Ray release exclusive to Australia for about $13 USD on Amazon.

259536_front.jpg

Any additional special features on this one?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think this counts as unusual. But it's a question, not a find.

I want to buy a phase 3 Marvel Blu-ray collection from Amazon but all I can find (that aren't individual releases) are from the UK or other countries across the sea (American here). The listings claim to be region free. Can I trust this claim? Are UK Blu-ray discs of American films ever converted to 25fps or do they usually keep their native frame rate? I don't know if it's different from PAL DVD standards.

Does anyone here have one of the UK Marvel box sets to see if the box says it's region free? Even an earlier phase would probably be set up the same way I assume.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I think this counts as unusual. But it's a question, not a find.

I want to buy a phase 3 Marvel Blu-ray collection from Amazon but all I can find (that aren't individual releases) are from the UK or other countries across the sea (American here). The listings claim to be region free. Can I trust this claim? Are UK Blu-ray discs of American films ever converted to 25fps or do they usually keep their native frame rate? I don't know if it's different from PAL DVD standards.

Does anyone here have one of the UK Marvel box sets to see if the box says it's region free? Even an earlier phase would probably be set up the same way I assume.

As far as I know, all UK Marvel Studios releases are region-free. I've bought some UK Blu-rays of "Agent Carter" and "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." from Zavvi, and they are region-free and play perfectly in my Region A Blu-ray player.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I want to buy a phase 3 Marvel Blu-ray collection from Amazon but all I can find (that aren't individual releases) are from the UK or other countries across the sea (American here). The listings claim to be region free. Can I trust this claim?

I've got the phase1 blu-ray UK set and it's region ABC. I don't have phase3 but eBay is a good place to try and find photos of such items. This current listing has a photo of one of the discs which clearly says ABC: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MCU-Marv...848287&hash=item4217d8125f:g:cOoAAOSwxOJesDP1

addiesin said:
Are UK Blu-ray discs of American films ever converted to 25fps or do they usually keep their native frame rate?

They'll never be converted from 23.97fps to 25fps no. Most of the region free/ABC discs I see in the UK have this upfront:

fbi_anti_piracy_split_a_l.jpg

So they are just US discs really. A UK disc will have something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys, that makes this decision, and probably future purchases, much easier! Really good to hear.

Top Bottom