• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Information Scrapper for KODI, XBMC

Galahaddulac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How do you all do with your Edits, those of you who use a Home Theater Software like Kodi. I like my files organized, and i having trouble finding a good solution to scrap information for KODI.

All i could find is an old Scrapper Plugin, that kinda works, at least it imports the Fanedit Authors Text.

Just curious how you all organize your fanedits. Maybe there is a better solution then Kodi anyway?

Thanks for sharing.

It's definitely the manual method, but I use Media Companion to generate my own nfo file, copy and pasting info from IFDB. Then Kodi displays everything exactly how I want it to. I have the old scraper for Plex, though I'm not sure if it still works. Is that what you found or do you need that?

I use the Plex plugin and it's great. I wonder if it's possible to update it for TV shows as well.

You could try adding a suggestion to the github  repository. The creator might be able to add a feature for you.

Ok thanks i will try to get that Plex Plugin to work with KODI, Ill keep you posted.

Ok so the tomfin46 Plugin works for kodi, apparently its the only solution so far. at least the only i have found.

but the "scraped" information (thanks addiesin ::) isnt really well structured. there is no category for faneditor, and no picture is scraped... also the tagline category is misused for some other text, and so on.

So is there any way to kinda clean up the scraped info? maybe export it to an nfo file and edit that manually. do you guys download the fanedit picture manually?

thanks for all your help!

Galahaddulac said:
Ok so the tomfin46 Plugin works for kodi, apparently its the only solution so far. at least the only i have found.

but the "scraped" information (thanks addiesin ::) isnt really well structured. there is no category for faneditor, and no picture is scraped... also the tagline category is misused for some other text, and so on.

So is there any way to kinda clean up the scraped info? maybe export it to an nfo file and edit that manually. do you guys download the fanedit picture manually?

thanks for all your help!

Poking around the code here, there's a bit about finding an image thumbnail in lines 111 and 133. So the plug-in appears to be at least trying to get an image. So that's a start.

Unfortunately I don't know python so I can't tell you what the problem is, whether it's looking for it in an obsolete or outdated way, or whether images are just handled differently in Kodi plugins vs Plex plugins. Can't even tell you if your own suggestions will work. Hopefully someone can.

I did literally already post the program that will let you do it manually and works great with Kodi. It's Media Companion.

thecuddlyninja said:
I did literally already post the program that will let you do it manually and works great with Kodi. It's Media Companion.

ok but my question was, if it allows you to export the metadata from kodi. anyway thanks, ill give it a try.

Changes you have made in Kodi only live in Kodi, which is why I would highly recommend using an nfo file to keep your custom metadata.

You can think of it this way, a scraper will pull info from a website (in this case IFDB) and you can edit it however you like in Kodi. But anything you edit in Kodi is only saved there. So if you ever wanted to use something else, your changes would be lost. If you make an nfo file (it's just a small file that sits in the folder with your movie) with your custom metadata, you can put that in any program and all your custom metadata will be there.

Media Companion or many other programs will let you create or edit an nfo file. For me, I create one from scratch. First I tell Media Companion that this is the original theatrical movie, so it loads all the proper actors, taglines, director, etc. It'll also scrape all the posters and backgrounds. Then I manually change the title, release date and replace the summary with info from IFDB. I also replace the poster with the fanedit one. Sometimes people summarize more in the intent section, sometimes changes, etc so I grab whatever makes sense from IFDB. This way in Kodi the movie has all the actors and art, etc. It's identical to my theatrical movies.

I used to use Plex and found that the scraper worked but I still had to tweak almost every one. Whether to add more summary or edit something. Every time it was the poster at least (the ones on IFDB are quite small and thus low res) so I stopped using it and just edited the info myself. Thankfully I didn't just edit the info in Plex, I built my own nfo file so when I started using Kodi all the information was there already.

Changes you have made in Kodi only live in Kodi, which is why I would highly recommend using an nfo file to keep your custom metadata.

You can think of it this way, a scraper will pull info from a website (in this case IFDB) and you can edit it however you like in Kodi. But anything you edit in Kodi is only saved there. So if you ever wanted to use something else, your changes would be lost. If you make an nfo file (it's just a small file that sits in the folder with your movie) with your custom metadata, you can put that in any program and all your custom metadata will be there.

Media Companion or many other programs will let you create or edit an nfo file. For me, I create one from scratch. First I tell Media Companion that this is the original theatrical movie, so it loads all the proper actors, taglines, director, etc. It'll also scrape all the posters and backgrounds. Then I manually change the title, release date and replace the summary with info from IFDB. I also replace the poster with the fanedit one. Sometimes people summarize more in the intent section, sometimes changes, etc so I grab whatever makes sense from IFDB. This way in Kodi the movie has all the actors and art, etc. It's identical to my theatrical movies.

I used to use Plex and found that the scraper worked but I still had to tweak almost every one. Whether to add more summary or edit something. Every time it was the poster at least (the ones on IFDB are quite small and thus low res) so I stopped using it and just edited the info myself. Thankfully I didn't just edit the info in Plex, I built my own nfo file so when I started using Kodi all the information was there already.
Thank you the info. I'm just getting started with Kodi. This will help tremendously.

I'm relatively new to Kodi on raspberry (LibreElec) and I really want to start using The Universal Movie Scraper so I can scrape with IMDB data. I'm already 500 movies in, and can't figure out how to change the default scraper going forward. nox player for pc jiofi.local.html

Back
Top Bottom