• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

indie treasures

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
haha. you were too busy instructing us to watch wing commander to watch the spoon edit ;)

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well... it worked ;)

....well, with you anyway... don't know what
nex ever did.. lol

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pretty cool spoon song

For fans of both indie rock and indie film, here is a trailer for an independent short film by the band Sparta. Sparta, if you dont know formed after the break-up of post-hardcore giants At the Drive-In. The band split and Sparta and The Mars Volta were spawned. anyway, enough history :) ...for their latest album entitled Threes, Sparta released a limited edition that contained a DVD featuring their short film entitled "Eme Nakia", here is the trailer:

[youtube:91xk1zzi]

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Juliana Theory - Music From Another Room

31QTB17V7ML._AA240_.jpg

I have a really soft spot in my heart for these guys, because they are from my hometown area and were a cool band ....up to a point. Their first two albums, plus this EP (listed above) were fun. Just feels good. Then they went to a major and changed completely, and I am not just being a snob here, but man was it bad.

Anyway, Music From Another Room was a collection of "leftover" songs, but they fit together so well and make for a beautiful EP. I recommend giving these guys a chance. Check out the album "Emotion Is Dead" for a cool album" They are no more, but in their early years, they were good. ROCK ON SOUTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA!!

lol

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
damn! i just thought about this great band back then. i think they were called ?alice donut?. i had this great album i don?t remember the name. there was a great cover version of ?war pigs? played by trumpets and a song about a wife who were going nuts (i remember the line ?...banging his head against the cash register. again! and again!?) which was told not sung while a very groovy tune was played...

anybody remember that?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
after doing a quick search...

Revenge Fantasies Of The Impotent by Alice Donut

77505.jpg

...will look into it

EDIT: gave this a quick listen. not bad. very cool rendition of war pigs. It was like Black Sabbath meets Albert Ayler :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
haha, well ayler might be a stretch, and its just that one song

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, was listening to this today, and forgot its greatness...

61BXXTB0BJL._AA240_.jpg

you guys have probably heard of this band, but they were so awesome that I thought it deserved a post. At the Drive-In was pure post-hardcore bliss that went off into progressive goodness.

Disputes between band members (over f*cking merchandising) led to the breakup and formation of two really cool bands. Sparta and the Mars Volta. Very different groups after the break, but both fantastic. I suggest giving these guys a listen if you haven't already. "Relationship of Command" and the EP "Vaya" are my two favorite albums.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
...aaw. as always i could hug you for your fine taste in music. let?s toss in a beer instead!

...if i had to choose it would have been mars volta but i liked them both

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i couldn't care less about sparta, but ATDI and mars volta are easily two of my favorite bands.

i have their full catalogs :)

now if you start getting into omar's side stuff or defacto then come talk to me ;)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just picked up an album a little while ago by Red Sparrowes entitled Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun

51VE1YER7HL._AA240_.jpg

its all instrumental, and pretty awesome. I recommend it, if you get a chance

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a band I couldnt recommend more right now. Explosions in the Sky. The music really makes you feel so much. Sort of like a Sigur R?s experience. Check them out

[youtube:3eo429d6]

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I'll dredge up this topic. It was sort of like a more detailed what are you listening to now thread. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was introduced to this bad through NPR's All Songs Considered. The Gaslight Anthem. It seems they are getting quite some exposure now, which I think is just great. This is a band that can reach all kinds of crowds. When I first heard them, to me it sounded like some sort of combination between Hot Water Music and Bruce Springsteen. The music has an indie rock core to it that is reminiscent of HWM and other bands like Samiam, but the vocals have this bluesy-rock feel that has to be influenced by the Boss. The new album, The '59 Sound is really cool. I suggest checking it out, or for a quick sample, grab the EP, Señor and the Queen.

[vimeo:27cdtdgl]

[vimeo:27cdtdgl]

Top Bottom