• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: The InfoDroid Edit

boon23 said:
Here is a 700mb avi xvid release of this. Enjoy.
piratebay

... Any chance this could be rapidshared?

I'm sorry to nag, and only request this seeing as how a 700mb version already exists... ;) But I don't do Torrents, and 40+rapidshare files take a long time/space. If at all possible, this'd be awesome. Thanks!

Infodroid - I joined this forum literally so I could tell you what I thought of your edit.

I for one really enjoyed it. Some really good work here.

I hate musicals - I hate em. So your removal of the start sequence works for me. I didn't feel the flashback was jarring at all.

Getting rid of the camping out/Willie frantic scene - yep.

Dinner scene - well, it's funny - but Willie is so annoying, although why she's hungry later? I guess it works - I'd buy it.

Removal of first sacrifice - no problem, makes Willie's sacrifice that more surprising.

To be honest - there was still too much Willie!

But - this is an improvement and having downloaded the Xvid to test, I now want the full DVD!

Well done mate - you won't please everyone - but I'm happy.

Hey, thanks, white43! Glad you liked it, and welcome to the forum! :D There's a lot of good stuff going on here, so I hope you stick around and make yourself at home. And thanks for taking the time to comment, it's certainly appreciated. The full DVD is available through Rapidshare, torrents, and there's a couple PIF chains floating around too. So, I'm sure locating a copy won't be a problem for you.

"Why is Willie hungry later?" You're not the first one to ask that, so let me try to explain what I was thinking on this subject while editing...

Some have commented that cutting out the bizarre banquet dishes creates a continuity error with Willie being hungry...here's how I see it:

She says earlier at the village "I sure hope this means dinner, I'm starving", but turns up her nose at the food that's offered to her. She ends up eating one little handful of fly-infested slop at Indy's insistence.

Then they take a two-day (or whatever) elephant trek. Then when they get to Pankot Palace, they set a giant steamed snake in front of her that we never actually see her or Short Round eat...

So, in my view, I'd think she'd be pretty hungry by that point.

I agree that there's still too much Willie, but I think I cut her about as much as I could without losing story.

Hey, if you liked this, Last Crusade is on the way. It's finished, encoded and I'm about to create the DVD, so stay tuned to this site.

Thanks again!

--ID

Another winner! I'll post a review on the main site shortly, but here's a preview:
Even after seeing Infodroid's rescue of "The Last Crusade", I wondered if "Temple" could be saved. I rate the theatrical even below the awful "Mummy Returns". To my surprise, however, Infodroid has unearthed a decent movie, and what's better, a decent Indy movie.

Willie is now tolerable, and even somewhat likeable. Short Round is mostly inoffensive. The new opening scene, with the severed fingers, is terrific, and making the Shanghai scenes a flashback is an excellent choice. In the theatrical, the plane-to-raft-down-mountains-to-the-river sequence is insultingly stupid. But now that the rules of space and time demand that the escape work, it's much more palatable.
I was greatly enjoying it up to the heroes' capture, and liked the rest also. I do think, however, that more should have been trimmed, including:

- Shorty's kung-fu. Comes out of nowhere, and should have stayed there.
- The Pat Roach fight drags; some careful trimming could help.
- The mine-cart chase... some may like it, but if the goal is to make the closest tonal edit to Raiders as possible, it would be great to cut it, or maybe to reduce it to ten seconds or so (Indy rope-lands on, and the heroes jump out right afterwards). Could be tricky, but that's just my two cents - it looks great, but it's just too outlandish.
- The missing-gun gag amused me as a kid, but now it just makes Indy look dumb.
- Indy's decision to cut the bridge could also use some trimming: less hesitation, more badassery.
- I didn't take notes on specific scenes, but any reduction of baddies cackling would be nice. :wink:
- I'd suggest cutting all close-up shots of crocs eating baddies (and maybe all shots of them altogether) until after Mola Ram's fall, which would make that plunging shot all the more impactful.
- I also think a smash-cut to credits after the line "I understand its power now" would make the most effective ending. (Who but Ford could deliver such a cheesy line with such wit and heart?) The ensuing "fortune and glory" reference doesn't make much sense with the earlier scene out, and the jubilant kids quikly become de trop. This ending could keep the focus on the mysticism, with the good magic of the stone mirroring the evil magic of the shrine that opens the film.
- For your special edition four-pack: I suggest another post-credits teaser. The "Crusade" boat... lightning... Indy's grin... cut to: Indiana Jones will return!

All in all, a vast improvement over the theatrical and a rather good time. I don't mean to sound presumptuous in trumpeting my own suggestions, but I do believe that with both this and your "Crusade" edit, two very good cuts are just a few tweaks away from being full-blown classics. Anyways, thanks for making them available!

Those are all good suggestions, Gaith. I wouldn't mind going back and taking another crack at it some day. "Temple of Doom: Defibrillated"!

Always a pleasure to be useful! Oh, and Indy's none-too-subtle look at his crotch during the dinner was obnoxious. We get it; he wasn't threatened with losing his head. :)

(my review's been up for a while)

On second thought, a "Raiders" teaser would probably be funnier/more appropriate... "Give me the whip/Idol! Adios, senor..." - the running jump! - "Indiana Jones will return!".

Nice teaser idea. It gets my vote.

Having seen the latest South Park episode "The China Problem" I have to agree that Indy 4 was a sort of violation.

Update:

opps, wrong thread.....!

InfoDroid,

I watched this tonight and was very pleased. The quality of this fanedit is top notch. While I would have liked to see just a bit more Willie trims, in general I thought you made a vast improvement to the movie. Goodbye official version, hello ID edit.

Thanks so much.

Hey, thanks Blick! :) Good to see people are still checking it out. If you liked that one, you'll have to try Last Crusade: Unholy Edition as well.

Well, to me, Willie is a character that I like to hate, it is her purpose in the movie. But I guess I will take a look at this edit one day, cause I'd like to watch a "serious" version of TOD.

Don't worry, she's still annoying - but now doesn't ruin the movie. :wink:

That's...that's really quite clever. Doesn't allow HF to show off his whip skills, but I never was crazy about the fact that Willie was his target anyway. One of yours, Gaith?

Maybe... :p :)

(And he uses the whip plenty of other times in the movie...)

Back
Top Bottom