- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
Here's my attempt at Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I absolutely adore the series overall, but cannot bring myself to watch Kingdom of the Crystal skull. But when I forced myself to rewatch it I realised.. the movie has great qualities, but it's bogged down by some.. questionable decisions in the creative process. So I decided to see if I could simply bring it on par with the older movies, and.. I think I mostly succeeded. In my opinion the movie is now about on par with Temple of Doom, quality wise. Not a masterpiece by any means, but very entertaining. Certainly not as bad as it was before. Here is the changelist!
Every cut is seamless.
- A completely NEW opening track! On the second audio track you can even find an second audio track with another terrific opening song, for an eventual rewatch!
- Nuke scene re-edited to be more believeable. Basically I removed all the shots showing immense heat, suggesting the Nuke was either smaller or further away. A fridge can protect against the blastwave and some radiation, sure. But that's all it will do. And that's all it did.
- Indiana Jones starts with less comedy. No Wubbayoos and no mind reading. Also no I like Ike.
- Made Mac a more serious villain. 90% less JONESEY!
- Removed the aliens untill the very end. There are no CGI Aliens anymore at all. Only skeletons. Still has the UFO, but it turns out the aliens were never the problem with the movie at all. Having only creepy skeletons helps the Indiana Jones vibe though!
- Completely re-structured the ending at the temple with the skeletons.
- Re-edited the waterfall to be actually visually appealing. Still three waterfalls, but let's be honest this is Indiana Jones. If you like Raiders and Temple of Doom then you should like this.
- Re-edited the tree jump with the carboat to be more visually appealing.
- No monkeys, completely re-structured the jungle chase. Ok I lied. It has one cameo Monkey.
- Mutt isn't Indiana Jones's son, so the driftsand is removed completely. Also, no one likes animal abuse. Poor snake. This REALLY helps the relationship between the Mutt and Indy feel genuine throughout the movie, because it's not muddied by Indy's revelation.
- Removed 50% of the banter between Marion and Indy, completely restructured the banter in the back of the truck. Also changed the dialogue with Marion's introduction to actually have a funny line.
- I made John Hurt's character less clowning and an actual sad character.
- Removed the blowdart scene in the cemetary, as fun as it was I found it didn't make sense and diminished the scene at the temple with the natives.
- The movie is now a healthy one and a half hour!
- All of the comedy is re-edited to make you smile. It's not trying to make you laugh. Just smile, that's enough.
- I cannot stress this enough but I really enjoy Mutt/Indy's relationship now that the whole 'family' element has been removed.