• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull - The Race with The Devil Cut

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Here's my attempt at Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I absolutely adore the series overall, but cannot bring myself to watch Kingdom of the Crystal skull. But when I forced myself to rewatch it I realised.. the movie has great qualities, but it's bogged down by some.. questionable decisions in the creative process. So I decided to see if I could simply bring it on par with the older movies, and.. I think I mostly succeeded. In my opinion the movie is now about on par with Temple of Doom, quality wise. Not a masterpiece by any means, but very entertaining. Certainly not as bad as it was before. Here is the changelist!

Every cut is seamless.
  • A completely NEW opening track! On the second audio track you can even find an second audio track with another terrific opening song, for an eventual rewatch!
  • Nuke scene re-edited to be more believeable. Basically I removed all the shots showing immense heat, suggesting the Nuke was either smaller or further away. A fridge can protect against the blastwave and some radiation, sure. But that's all it will do. And that's all it did.
  • Indiana Jones starts with less comedy. No Wubbayoos and no mind reading. Also no I like Ike.
  • Made Mac a more serious villain. 90% less JONESEY!
  • Removed the aliens untill the very end. There are no CGI Aliens anymore at all. Only skeletons. Still has the UFO, but it turns out the aliens were never the problem with the movie at all. Having only creepy skeletons helps the Indiana Jones vibe though!
  • Completely re-structured the ending at the temple with the skeletons.
  • Re-edited the waterfall to be actually visually appealing. Still three waterfalls, but let's be honest this is Indiana Jones. If you like Raiders and Temple of Doom then you should like this.
  • Re-edited the tree jump with the carboat to be more visually appealing.
  • No monkeys, completely re-structured the jungle chase. Ok I lied. It has one cameo Monkey.
  • Mutt isn't Indiana Jones's son, so the driftsand is removed completely. Also, no one likes animal abuse. Poor snake. This REALLY helps the relationship between the Mutt and Indy feel genuine throughout the movie, because it's not muddied by Indy's revelation.
  • Removed 50% of the banter between Marion and Indy, completely restructured the banter in the back of the truck. Also changed the dialogue with Marion's introduction to actually have a funny line.
  • I made John Hurt's character less clowning and an actual sad character.
  • Removed the blowdart scene in the cemetary, as fun as it was I found it didn't make sense and diminished the scene at the temple with the natives.
  • The movie is now a healthy one and a half hour!
  • All of the comedy is re-edited to make you smile. It's not trying to make you laugh. Just smile, that's enough.
  • I cannot stress this enough but I really enjoy Mutt/Indy's relationship now that the whole 'family' element has been removed.
Trailer:

Congrats on completing an edit!

In terms of hosting, that part is entirely up to an editor. Reminder that all sharing of edits needs to happen via PMs.

If you are intending to submit to IFDb you'll need to:
1) create a title, cut list and poster for your edit (you'll want to edit the title of this thread to reflext the edit title as well)
2) submit your edit to the academy (it is recommended that you get feedback from community members before submitting to ensure the edit is 100% complete)

Here are the guidelines for submitting and edit.

So.. how much of a cutlist do you need? Because I didnt keep a memo of each cut and it's.. basically every scene is altered in one form of another. Is saying:
'Cut list: nearly every scene was altered to keep the movies tone in line with it's prequels' adequate enough?
Will upload to google drive and post when it's available. I'm really looking foward to seeing what the Academy thinks of it! Will have to make a poster I guess! How.. professional does the poster have to be?

You can check out the other Indiana Jones edits listed on this site for inspiration about cover/poster for your Edit!

Also when you do just that you can also check out how the other edits have listed their changes.

You don’t have to have timemarks for every single cut but you have list what you changed with that cut.

Hope this information helps!

As an example, here's the cut list for the most recent Crystal Skull edit, which is Spence's:

- Change the color/white balance to look more like the old films.
- New transition from the Paramount Logo to a newly created mountain shot. "Hound Dog!" plays from the beginning over it until we transition to the car.
- Cut Mac's lines about betting on getting out of this.
- Cut "I meant drop dead comrade" and the punch that precedes it.
- Cut the line about "wubbalyoos".
- Cut Spalko trying and failing to be psychic. This goes nowhere, and she never successfully does anything telepathic in the film so the whole concept is dropped.
- Cut some of the searching around the warehouse.
- We only see the hand of the alien for now, as an attempt at keeping some mystery.
- Cleaned up the Mac is a Bad Guy reveal.
- Made Indy start running quicker after shooting the guy in the foot.
- Cut Mac's "You don't know him!" bit.
- Removed a cutaway to Spalko and Mac getting in a truck.
- Trimmed a lot of silliness in Nuketown, Indy is now significantly more concerned.
- Cut a lot of the tumbling of the fridge, so it seems like he maybe could have survived.
- Cut the bit where they're scrubbing the radiation off of Indy.
- Cut Mutt repeating "That's my mother" so he only says it once.
- Sped up the gap between "knife" and "gunfight"
- Lots of trims to the crypt sequence to speed it up and get the story moving.
- Cut the bit where Indy tries to purloin a knife.
- Cut "saucer men from mars"
- Cut Ox dancing at the campfire.
- Trimmed Marion's introduction so it's more quippy and feels like banter from Raiders.
- Cut the snake being used as a rope. Mac and Spalko show up after Indy says "why the hell didn't you make him finish school?!"
- Cut some of the back and forth in the back of the truck.
- Cut Indy slicing into his pants.
- Cut Marion grinning.
- Seriously trimmed up the jungle chase sequence to move faster and have less obviously silly moments.
- Some minor cuts to the ants scene for pacing and to remove unnecessary silly jokes (like Spalko crushing an ant with her knees)
- Only one waterfall, which is a combination of the three original ones.
- Some light trims to the end section of the movie for pacing and to remove unnecessary gags.

Wow Spence and I think alike it seems. I litterally did a LOT of these EXACT cuts lol. Like, seriously I think watching these two must be a very similar experience.

So, I uploaded the finished version to Mediafire and made a poster. What's the next step exactly. Also: Thanks so much for helping me out :)

It says I do not meet the criteria for the form, but it doens't seem to specify what exactly I still need to do. I thought I already posted the minimum amoun of posts.
EDIT: nevermind I didnt see the 30 day waiting time. Ugh thats frustrating lol.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I kinda already finished my edit but have to wait for another 24 days or so untill I can post for review so here's a preview of what I did, I basically changed Indiana Jones 4 into a more traditional Indiana Jones movie:
  • Every cut is seamless.
  • Nuke scene re-edited to be more believeable. ( no flying through the air for MILES and no mushroom cloud staring )
  • Indiana Jones starts with less comedy. ( Slight alterations made to make the intro a bit more serious, but only a bit )
  • Made Irina Spalko a more serious villain. ( No mind reading. No getting defeated by monkeys lol )
  • Made Mac a more serious villain. ( No JONESEEEEY screams AT ALL )
  • Removed the aliens untill the very end. There are no CGI Aliens anymore at all. Still has the UFO, but it turns out the aliens were never the problem with the movie at all.
  • Completely re-structured the ending at the temple with the skeletons.
  • Re-edited the waterfall to be actually visually appealing. ( They drop down the second waterfall. Indy points to the first that was behind them and the third in front of them. So two falls instead of three in total. )
  • No monkeys, COMPLETELY re-structured the jungle chase to have Marion end with the skull instead of Irina.
  • Mutt is NOT Indiana Jones's son in this cut, so the driftsand is removed completely. Also, no one likes animal abuse. Poor snake. This REALLY helps the relationship between the Mutt and Indy feel genuine throughout the movie, because it's not muddied by Indy's revelation.
  • Removed 80% of the banter between Marion and Indy, completely restructured the banter in the back of the truck. Also changed the dialogue with Marion's introduction to actually have a funny line.
  • I made John Hurt's character less clowning and an actual sad character. No dancing.
  • Removed the blowdart scene in the cemetary, as fun as it was I found it didn't make sense and diminished the scene at the temple with the natives. No need for natives in an abandoned cemetary imo.
  • The movie is now a healthy one and a half hour! Cut about 25/30 minutes.
  • All of the comedy is re-edited to make you smile. It's not trying to make you laugh. Just smile, that's enough.

Congrats on completing your edit! This sounds like it will be a great. I recently came across the Spence edit of this and it looks like it will be very complimentary. You can never have too many good edits of Indy 4. Hang in there on the waiting game. I'm currently in the same boat! I look forward to seeing what else you have coming out down the road. :)

I actually saw Spences edit very recently and we took a very different approach. His version is 15/20 minutes longer than mine.

I just read the "Pending Approval" entry for this edit and went here to say that this edit sounds like it could be very good. I'm really curious what you made of it. Fingers crossed on the approval.

Sorry to nitpicky but why are there Norse runes on your cover? This is the middle of the Amazon. There are no Vikings here.

The Vikings used letters called runes. They are imitations of the Latin letters used in most of Europe during the Viking era.

The Vikings (especially the Danish) made landings all over the world-including South America. The following is but one example.

The Germans (as in Germanic tribes) were among the first people to use runes. The use of runes migrated to the rest of northern europe from there, including Scandinavia (Vikings). The Germans were also a seafaring people who traveled all over the world.

Last, but certainly not least, Anglo-Saxons (English) used those very runes seen on the poster as part of their early language.

Certainly, you wouldn't dispute the English presence in South America?

And...we're talking about Indiana Jones, which was (of course) the most historically accurate movie series to ever exist.

Not to be too nitpicky...😁😉

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom