• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Non Paternal Cut by 15MaF

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was one heck of a quick approval, congrats 15MaF!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
That was one heck of a quick approval, congrats 15MaF!

Yeah I admit I wasn't even particularly interested in another Indy edit but no revisions required? Dang. Now I read the whole cutlist.

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for that TM2YC. It was definitely a long mulled balance between pace and exposition. But it always, to my mind at least, needs to feel like a feature length after all is said and done. Thanks for the comments. Will bear them in mind when I review changes for the the larger upload.

Yeah, I'll look at that spelling. Must have been typing at a distance ;)

Thanks again.

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks very much folks. It was far quicker than I expected :)

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah definitely hbenthow. I'll be posting the full quality export after I fix a couple of things now it's approved. I always like to see how small I can get a quality looking file for folks who don't have the best connection/equipment ect. Totally agree with the need for it.

Cheers

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"00.00.45 - I always prefer to see the vintage plain green Lucasfilm logo from the '80s but that's just my preferrence
00.00.53 - The paramount logo looks way too green (compared to ther Paramount movies) and would have been an easy fix to regrade."

Come to think of it I used to have a more neutral de-saturated grading for KOTCS. I think I skipped it to get the test renders to be more timely. Also I learned to avoid certain filters based on the colour space you're working in. So I might revisit that. Don't know if it would alter the paramount logo much. In general I don't mind if a much later film from a franchise has contemporary/updated logos, but the grading is very tempting to get back into - And getting blues to work well without the grading shifting to green to avoid the red glow would be a widespread benefit. Getting those intense lavenders in place of blue is not a good look either.

"It's a tightrope spud." :)

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit has now been updated with a much larger file size and has been submitted to the IFDB so won't be needing any further updates. :)

15MaF

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[quote="Motley']
Good luck, 15MaF! :D
[/quote]

? This is simply an update. No luck needed.

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[quote="Motley']
Good luck, 15MaF! :D
[/quote]

Appreciate the sentiment Motley :)

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My compliments @"15MaF" ! After the theatrical version and all its edits here on FE, I'd gotten jaded for Indy's Jumping the Shark with a Crystal Skull. Your edit is quite enjoyable, particularly the obvious care and love you put into the project. Your visual and audio improvements are excellent (special wow-points for your Nixie clock :idea: ).

We differ on taste on a few points, I find prairie dogs less objectionable than the nuke-escaping fridge, but those are subjective and equally valid.

I did feel the narrative got truncated several times. One example is Spalko's introduction. She and Indy play off each other's lines, and Spalko concludes their conversation with dramatic flair (she waves her hand to which a Russian soldier blows up a box which opens the sliding door). In your edit, reactions now miss the actions they were counterpoints to. And the dramatic flair is reduced to a wave of Spalko's hand which misses it's reaction. It doesn't feel rushed (the pacing is fine), it feels that I'm missing something because bits of the narrative no longer flow logically.
[Minor detail: several FE members have described Spalko's hand waving as a supernatural way to open the door, in fact she merely gestures her soldier standing by the door, directly in front of her, to blow the lock.]

Aside from the narrative critique and some personal preferences, your Non-Paternal Cut has trims in all the right places and is executed with impressive visual and audio edits. I will keep an eye out for your future edits!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
Minor detail: several FE members have described Spalko's hand waving as a supernatural way to open the door, in fact she merely gestures her soldier standing by the door, directly in front of her, to blow the lock.

IIRC @"15MaF" said he thought it was Spalko using "the force", so removed it. I removed it from my edit for the exact same reason and so did many others. It's clearly very poor visual story telling because most people don't seem to spot the guy by the fuse box until somebody points it out.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
... It's clearly very poor visual story telling because most people don't seem to spot the guy by the fuse box until somebody points it out.

Fair point. The hand-wave gets disconnected from its original reaction, but at least it's not (unintentionally) misleading.

Flubly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
TM2YC said:
... It's clearly very poor visual story telling because most people don't seem to spot the guy by the fuse box until somebody points it out.

Fair point. The hand-wave gets disconnected from its original reaction, but at least it's not (unintentionally) misleading.

I think Q2 leaves this in. I watched his years after having seen the original and had mostly forgotten about the details of Spalko's powers. Because of context I automatically assumed it was someone blowing the door. Couldn't tell you whether it was seeing the guy at the fuse box or not, though, just didn't cross my mind that it could be supernatural.

If you don't know about her powers, occam's razor leans towards demolition over telekinesis. I have a couple friend's who are watching Q2's version soon. I'll have to ask them afterwards. One of them hasn't seen it since it was in theaters.

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair comments one and all folks. Thanks for taking the time (lapis molari especially). I think of Spalko's force wave still as a force wave in spite of the chap by the box, as TM2YC pointed out, most people don't really take him in - Especially when the scene is cut shorter. My narrative arguably does truncate technically for people not aware of spalko's spoon bending, considering I didn't include her previous attempt at mind reading, so I accept that I am carrying over knowledge not explicitly shown in my preferred narrative (similarly to Flubly's Occam's razor). However, I still much prefer we get to the interior shot with a less visible edit and a lot of people do take her hand wave to be a moment of telekinesis regardless. Although I agree it's subjective - she just has more credibility if she's self aware enough to know she's not got the gift and it lends a realistic motive to her seeking powers through magic macGuffin searches. This is also echoed when she acknowledges the skull not talking to everybody, but wants desperately for it to.

Also fan edits force people to replace prior memories regarding scenes that they have previously become accustomed to over several viewings. Removing elements can trigger a small sense of loss without it being technically unsuccessful. Re-evaluation is both conscious and sub-conscious I feel. In fact I had to go check the original to remember the fuse box sparking clearly enough, so accustomed am I to my edit.

I appreciate the considered comments folks, and am chuffed to bits that even where opinions differ, most people seem to be enjoying the edit and if not mine then in it's various other guises, which is the main thing.

Cheers,
15MaF

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just say if we are getting too far off topic but... thinking about that moment, the problem might be that that hand wave and flash of sparks are accompanied by a classic Lucasfilm/Ben Burtt sound, similar to the lightsaber impact ones like around the 01.52 mark in this clip when Vader actually does use the force to flip a switch. So people subconsciously think Spalko used "the force".

For future fanedits or tweaks, maybe a SoundFX replacement would help this moment? Plus no sound is in the mix of the plunger being depressed, or a switch being clicked on the explosives, or a count down etc before the explosion, which could also be added in a fanedit. Spalko's back is turned in the shot so her line could be re-timed to a second earlier.

EDIT: Actually I think it is the exact same soundFX that we hear at 01.37 and 01.39 in this clip when the Ark blows the generator up with "magic" powers:

(which is the sound of a red hot wire being plunged into a block of ice IIRC)

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Just say if we are getting too far off topic but... thinking about that moment, the problem might be that that hand wave and flash of sparks are accompanied by a classic Lucasfilm/Ben Burtt sound, similar to the lightsaber impact ones like around the 01.52 mark in this clip when Vader actually does use the force to flip a switch. So people subconsciously think Spalko used "the force".

For future fanedits or tweaks, maybe a SoundFX replacement would help this moment? Plus no sound is in the mix of the plunger being depressed, or a switch being clicked on the explosives, or a count down etc before the explosion, which could also be added in a fanedit. Spalko's back is turned in the shot so her line could be re-timed to a second earlier.

"The Force" is just a compatible turn of phrase for me. I didn't really feel the Lucasfilm jedi Vader vibe at the time. But for those who watch the holy trilogy really often, then the sound could play it's part in that way.

Top Bottom