• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Independence Day (No Family Edition)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WHOA! I had seriously never put it together that was her.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
This is now available on the other site and pending release on IFDB.

Would you like to start a new thread or have this one moved?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you could move this one, that would be great. Thanks!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If there would be any interest in a DVD version, let me know here or by PM. I use the blu-ray but I can make one pretty easily. I prefer edits presented on disc like "real movies" to digital files but I'm probably just getting old.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on finishing! I'd been waiting for a seriously cut down version of the movie. I've never really given it a fair shake, as I couldn't handle the over-the-top-edness of it. (especially Quaid's extremely forced humor and the dog jumping in the tunnel or whatever it was)

P.S. I like DVD versions too, and used to prefer them by far, but I'm somewhat warming to digital versions. (especially as I've cut down on snail mail trades)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you! I loved it despite those things because I'm just a big fan of Goldblum and Smith over-the-top-edness but I really hated that stuff, too.

I always make digital downloads available but they're not for me. Most edits I download I make a cover and a blu-ray or DVD with a menu for myself if the editor doesn't. I just prefer it that way. I think because I always have and also because I display my fanedit collection proudly upstairs with the top tier blu-rays. I've introduced a bunch of people to the concept that way, too. I end up watching them more anyway.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rebue posted on IndependenceFaneditDayBase:

A classic popcorn movie just got popcornier. This edit moves along at a good pace and ends neither late nor early, but precisely when thecuddlyninja means it to. The removal of Vivica Fox seriously dialed down the babe quotient (or the fox quotient), but this was balanced by the joyous near-removal of Randy Quaid, making those two cuts a karmic wash.

There's a bit of untruth in the title, as Goldblum's character spends time with his dad and his ex-wife, and the PotUS character (I'm told the actor has a name) has a brief moment with his child, but these aren't serious grievances, at least not serious enough to issue a fatwah against the faneditor. The aliens are probably one big family (they look inbred to me), and that has me lightly fingering the fatwah button. . . without any real intention of pressing it.

The picture quality is generally good, but there are some minor visual issues: the black levels of the title cards don't quite match the black levels that immediately follow. Also, the custom titles look pixelated and videogamey, but then again, the whole movie is videogamey and these titles are a small fraction of the edit, so again, no fatwah.

Listen up, mofos—this is a fun edit. I look forward to other works by this faneditor. Or else. . . fatwah.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
Listen up, mofos—this is a fun edit. I look forward to other works by this faneditor. Or else. . . fatwah.

Thank you so much for the rebue! I do have to admit you are right about the title. Those aliens are total inbreds! But, in the end "Greatly Reduced Family Edition" was just a touch unwieldy. :)

I really appreciate the feedback, it was helpful. Glad you enjoyed it!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you for creating the edit, man! (well, i'm assuming you're a dude; fanedit.org is largely a soseji party. i need to have a word with the director of non-male recruitment.)

not included in my rebue: the consideration that humans are one big family, fighting an unfriendly extraterrestrial family. but that makes things needlessly complicated, title-wise. :oops:

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you so much ironman23 for the kind review! Sorry I missed it a couple weeks ago but I very much appreciate the watch and sharing your thoughts.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pahakokki said:
Damn. This edit is an absolute thrill ride.

Cheers, glad you enjoyed it! Truthfully I don't really watch many of my own edits except I do come back to this one from time to time.

Top Bottom