• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

In The Mouth of Event Horizon by RollWave

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
InTheMouthOfEventHorizon-Postersmall_zps75c7e7ce.jpg

Fanedit Name: In the Mouth of Event Horizon
Faneditor Name: RollWave
Tagline: Reality isn't what it used to be...

Original Movie Title: In the Mouth of Madness
Genre: Horror
Fanedit Type: Fanmix

Original Release Date:
Original Running Time: 95 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: December 2014
Fanedit Running Time: 94 minutes

Brief Synopsis:
In this fanedit, Sutter Cane's latest novel is "In the Mouth of Event Horizon". Many of the delusions and horror elements experienced and observed by the main characters in "In the Mouth of Madness" are replaced by similar scenes and images from the movie "Event Horizon".

Intention:
Besides starring the same leading actor, In the Mouth of Madness and Event Horizon have many similar elements (escape through tunnel, monsters attacking, etc). My intention was to show that the main storyline of In the Mouth of Madness could be maintained (and even enhanced) through insertion of a large number of Event Horizon Easter Eggs.

Cuts and Additions:
There are 2 primary types of edit made to produce this fanmix.
1. A shift between the movies. Generally, anytime Trent falls asleep, has a delusion, or is otherwise mentally overwhelmed, he transitions from one movie into the other for a brief period of time.
2. Many individual horror elements are replaced using a variety of special effects techniques in order to have the Event Horizon world invade the world of In the Mouth of Madness.

Opening Credits:
-Inserted new on-screen text
-Inserted Event Horizon core clips
-Cut closeups of “Coming Soon: In the Mouth of Madness” on book jacket

Asylum:
-Edited “you haven’t read it yet” montage to include EH frames
-Inserted a trimmed version of Sam Neill exiting the stasis tank on EH

Diner:
-Cut a scene before this scene with Neill investigating another unrelated case

Neill’s home:
-Cut newscaster referencing “In the Mouth of Madness”
-Cut unnecessary tv background talk at end of scene

Publisher’s Office:
-Cut some closeups of the coffee cup that are too easily readible.

Alley:
-Shortened scene to remove the cop beating the bum, which is no longer needed due to edits to next scene.

Reading:
-Replaced dream sequences with EH clips
-Removed the double wake up jump scare
-Inserted/Edited the falling asleep and waking up audio cues

Stiles Driving
-This scene was previously very long with ~6 different weird or scary things happening which was far more than needed. The number and length were cut in half to move the story along faster.
-Replaced the cyclist with the EH spaceship in windshield, side window, and rear view mirror
-Removed the crash since it’s too early for Trent to start seeing weird things, better if it’s only Stiles for awhile.
-Edited bridge montage to include the EH engine room tunnel

Check-in
-Replaced painting using masks, motion tracking, and various color/effects to make it look like a painting and not just screenshots.

Church
-Rotoscoped EH’s Justin (who was captured in the opening credits) in place of little Johnny (the dad’s look of confusion is admittedly justifiable, it’s a pretty weird sight.)

Inn
-More artwork special effects, painting moved off the wall.

Kids
-I did nothing to this scene because “today is mommy’s day” is the corniest, most stereotypical horror line in the whole movie...so it had to stay.

Trent reading in bed:
-trimmed scene to remove legible ItMoM text.
-edit Linda in church to remove an out of place sound effect from source material.

The book:
-Edited first page text to show correct title, motion tracked for camera motion.
-Edited montage to instead show the fate of the Event Horizon’s original crew
-Removed rescue crew footage and dialogue from the EH clips

Lobby:
-More artwork special effects

Inn Basement:
-replaced the old lady as a monster in the basement with the surgical room of Event Horizon, and associated gore.

Bar:
-Mixed in footage of Trent using EH as an escape from unbearable parts of this reality.

Car ride out of town:
-Inserted to EH clips of Neill’s internal monologue, being trapped. Glow matching between the 2 films..

Confession:
-Edited the montage to insert scenes of his dead wife from EH, foreshadowing her importance, and suggesting he’s “not seeing” or blocking something out of his memory.
-Shortly after “All done”, removed Sutter Cane saying ItMoM.

Tunnel:
-Interspersed the escape through the tunnel with the EH tunnel escape

Motel:
-Edited book title, tracked with camera bouncing

Bus:
-replaced blue bus false wakeup with the EH maintenance tunnels, which were retinted from green to blue
-This EH clip is made much scarier by using some ItMoM background surround sound instead of the EH music.

Alley:
-replaced the background poster, rotoscope/motion tracking

Publisher’s Office:
-Cropped frames where ItMoM was easily readable

Bookstore Mob:
-Cropped frames where ItMoM was easily readable
-Cut audio of announcers mentioning ItMoM.

Asylum:
-Inserted the source of Trent’s torment, his wife’s suicide from EH, which he finally remembers/unblocks.
-Right when he think’s he’s gonna be ok, combined and inserted Neill’s EH declaration of going to hell
-Note - Left a clear image of Laurence Fishburne that is out of place and potentially confusing for a viewer, who’s this guy, why’s he there. This is purely an easter egg. He’s a co-star and deserved to be in this movie somewhere, even though his character was cut.

Outside Theater:
-trimmed the beginning of this scene to avoid showing the huge curved marquee which had a very difficult to remove ItMoM sign.
-Inserted 3 different posters and banners using motion tracking, masks, and rotoscoping. In the Mouth of Event Horizon blu-ray cover is used as basis for a poster, the Fanedit.org banner is used as a marquee banner, and my previous edit The West Wing: The 25th Amendment also has its poster in the background.

Inside Theater:
-Edited montage to include EH clips
-Changed final seconds to end the movie in EH instead of ItMoM.

Closing Credits:
-Inserted “Fanedited by RollWave” scrolling credit
Release Information
1080p Bluray
720p mkv
NTSC DVD-5

Cover
eventhorizon_3Dview_zps9661fb24.jpg

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please note that all 3 versions are currently available via dlc, pm if you are interested. They will also be uploaded to usenet in the near future. Once those links are also verified, these will all be submitted to .info so you can view without having to be social and talk to me in case that is intimidating for you.

If it matters, the bluray is a 13.9gb download, DVD5 is 4.0gb and the mkv is 2.9gb. Slightly larger files once uncompressed.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
you can view without having to be social and talk to me in case that is intimidating for you

Awkward-Ba-Dum-Tss-Reaction-Gif-On-SNL.gif

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All formats are now additionally available on usenet. You should be able to find them through any usenet search engine if you look for the keywords "RollWave" or "InTheMouthOfEventHorizon" (all one word, no spaces).

links have been submitted to .info and will hopefully be posted in their next update.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Below is oz's poster to save you the extra second of clicking on the link in the post above.

tWL9NF5.jpg

Oz didn't really need my approval, but I did recommend he post his art here so everyone could see. This actually matched my initial vision for the poster, which I tried to make myself but failed, so I went with the Sam Neill painting cover.

I actually like his design better, but unfortunately it came about a month too late. Since I had already inserted my cover into the movie itself in a few places, I didn't want to change it and kept mine for the dvd and poster.

Thanks for the art oz. It's a great meshing of the two movies actual covers.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
.dlc and .nzb are now available at .info. If you have any difficulty, please let me know.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on the release rollwave... loving the poster art too.

Looking forward to watching this one very soon and I'll post a review as soon as I can ;)

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a kickass edit. Highly recommended. Review posted @ ifdb:

I'm not the biggest horror buff around, but I do really like In the Mouth of Madness and Event Horizon, so this edit got my interest. I absolutely loved it. The visual editing is just incredible and worth watching for that alone. The audio editing is great, no issues. Picture is perfect. The story works amazingly well. The only issues I had were the inclusion of the In the Mouth of Madness opening credits along with the custom credits. It looks a little odd to have "Directed by John Carpenter and Paul Anderson" followed by "Directed by John Carpenter". And there is a strange edit around 15:45. I know it was a necessary cut, but could have been smoothed out a bit more.

But those are very minor quibbles and this is a great edit. I love seeing this kind of creativity by someone who really has some amazing technical skill. Can't wait to see what RollWave does next.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you liked it!

Adabisi said:
The only issues I had were the inclusion of the In the Mouth of Madness opening credits along with the custom credits. It looks a little odd to have "Directed by John Carpenter and Paul Anderson" followed by "Directed by John Carpenter".

I double checked and could not find this. I see my custom credits listing both directors, but don't see a separate directed by John Carpenter. There is a credit for "Music by John Carpenter & Jim Lang". Did that get mistaken for 'directed by'? Probably too late to fix, but if there is a careless error there, I'd still like to find it so I know what I missed.

Adabisi said:
And there is a strange edit around 15:45. I know it was a necessary cut, but could have been smoothed out a bit more.

yeaaaaaaaa, there's a frame missing there. It's not in the original either, but in the original he glances at the coffee cup which says 'in the mouth of madness' in between those shots that were combined. Not sure why they deleted a frame when the split the clip, but yea there's a tiny visual glitch there. I experimented rearranging the scene a bit to get rid of it, but thought the exposition in that scene was too important to the story to really cut more and this just seemed the best I could make it.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
I double checked and could not find this. I see my custom credits listing both directors, but don't see a separate directed by John Carpenter. There is a credit for "Music by John Carpenter & Jim Lang". Did that get mistaken for 'directed by'? Probably too late to fix, but if there is a careless error there, I'd still like to find it so I know what I missed.

3:10-3:13 of the mkv file: "Directed by John Carpenter"

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dang you're right. Totally missed that. every other credit is back to back, but there's a 20 second gap between the second to last one and that last one, thought the credits were over.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
Not sure why they deleted a frame when the split the clip, but yea there's a tiny visual glitch there.
When you work with physical film, an edit destroys one frame.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i thought this was an amazing edit! great job man! i especially like the part when......., well you will just have to see ;)

A+++ FE!!!!!

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Big announcement coming soon for this edit!

It is going to be hosted as an online live stream with chat. It will be like having a built in audio commentary soundtrack - but better because it will be interactive. You can type in all your questions as they come up. "How'd you do this effect?" "Where'd the music in this scene come from?" "Why didn't you cut this line, it's horrible?"

We are still working out final details, but it will most likely be next weekend, Saturday the 24th or Sunday, January 25th, in the evening. If you are interested in watching a fanedit live with a bunch of other fans, reading my commentary, and being able to chat and interact while it's all happening, please check back in this thread over the next few days. I'll post all the specific details as soon as they are finalized.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've done this with both of my Ridiculous edits, it's a lot of fun. Hope it goes well for you.

What service are you using?

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
What service are you using?

Short answer is "i don't know"

longer answer: This is being entirely setup by another user Adrian_forte. It was all his idea and he's doing all the legwork. All I'm doing is showing up and doing a bit of advertising. But I'll find out and let you know as soon as I know.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Remember that big announcement I mentioned. It's here! Super short notice, but we are now less than 24 hours away from the broadcast event.

Saturday night, January 24th, 8pm Central Time, there will be an online livestream of In the Mouth of Event Horizon, with simultaneous chat.

Direct Link: http://www.raven-mythic.com/rmtv.asp

This site will load a splitscreen, video on top, chat on the bottom. If you'd rather have chat in a separate window, or have difficulty loading that chat for some reason, you can access the chat directly:

Chat: https://client01.chat.mibbit.com/
From the drop down menu next to 'Connect:', select "DarkMyst [webirc]'
For username, type in whatever username you want.
For Channel, type "#RMTV"

Should be a great time. Come an enjoy a fanedit with a bunch of sci-fi nerds and roleplayers...and me! What else are you doing on a Saturday night?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
8pm Central Time

Damn that's 2am, my time :-( (You can't please everybody I suppose). Was looking forward to this, as I haven't watched the edit yet. Hopefully with some coffee and a sleep in on Sunday, I'll still be able to watch :).

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea choosing a time was surprisingly non-trivial. We assumed most potential viewers were American, didn't want it too late on east coast or too early on west coast, settled on 8pm central. If anything we were thinking later, so I guess you can be glad we didn't push it back to 9 central in order to not be so early in california, which would have really pushed it to even middler of the night for you.

Scrolling up, I notice flags under our names, I never really noticed or paid attention to them before, might be useful in the future.

--

Related note, the viewing audience won't be solely members coming from here at fanedit.org. The main host of the event expects a crowd of about 10 viewers from his rpg forum, since this is a regular type event for them. There are several that do work in the film industry, one specific that he mentioned is a professional camera man that shoots low budget horror films will be there (an example that he worked on is Zombex
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1916763/).

So as a side benefit to the already appealing offer of being able to see my edit and chat with me - you can also have a fresh audience that may either A) be interested in your edits, so you could link trailers or database listings etc in chat, or B) be able to answer some questions you have towards people doing related work for their career.

Top Bottom