• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IJ - Indiana Jones

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MiniMetroid said:
Well, they could send him to find ... the Fountain of Youth.
This should be the opening of the film. He drinks, morphs into Ansel Elgort, and the adventure continues... :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
him having the name "Short Round" would no longer make sense

299937-39136-little-john.jpg

"Shorty" would still do.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heh. Fair enough.

It would need to be communicated, though, that the name is an affectionate one between friends. One wouldn't want it to come off in a derogatory sense, like Dr. Jones doesn't have respect for him as an adult.

In the Pink Panther movies, one of the running gags is that Inspector Clouseau is unaware of how racially insensitive he is, referring to his assistant Kato as "my little yellow friend." It would be very sad if Indiana did the same thing, and the filmmakers didn't realize it. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but it might be better to err on the side of caution.

In the case of Little John, it's two Englishmen of about the same age -- or, in some cases, a talking bear and fox. ;)

Anyway, here's hoping that Short Round (by whatever name) is included in some form!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quan's character could be a successful businessman, founder of Short Round Industries, whose construction activity unearths the real reason for the terra cotta soldiers — a Chinese medusa!

calls up his old friend Indy.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm extremely cautiously optimistic for this one, esp. with Seniore Lucas out of the picture. Consistent with what a few others have suggested, here are a few dot points I would consider to be good ideas for this one:

- No labooof. One line of dialogue to explain that he is elsewhere would be fine.
- Keep Karen Allen to a cameo. She is a liability.
- Bring back Sallah and Short Round as the sidekicks
- Direct Ford to stay understated, ala Raiders and Doom, and be less Goofy, ala Crusade and Skull.
- Bring back the nazi's. Perhaps a neo-nazi movement that has discovered a power that could see them rise again.
- Keep the mysticism contained until the final scene or two. Ground this thing in real world archaeology.
- Keep the acrobatics to a minimum. Indy can punch, shoot and whip people all he likes, but no more Ford swinging around.
- Commit to the bare minimum of CGI, and keep it as practical as possible, even a return to analogue effects.
- Give us an extremely evil villain again. not the watered down version we got in skull. Make them scary and threatening.
- Avoid too many callbacks to gags in the previous films. We don't need another sword/gun joke.
- Not essential, but it might be good to find another judeo/christian relic to chase, just to keep it in line with Raiders. not a deal breaker if something else though.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
- Bring back the nazi's. Perhaps a neo-nazi movement that has discovered a power that could see them rise again.

[I'm biting my tongue so hard right now, trying not to say anything about US politics. :-o]

hope whoever's calling the shots on Indy 5 has similar instincts as yours, Nadja Vicar. Very noss list.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I kinda hope Ford is the only returning cast member here. There's a case to be made for a Broadbent, Allen, or LaBeouf cameo, but certainly not an active role. Don't think Sallah or Short Round would be necessary (but if I had to pick, definitely Short Round). I'd like to see a new sidekick. A as in one. I don't want to see four side kicks like in Crystal Skull. Indy is not a team.

I don't think it's hard to imagine Ford's action bits will be less here, and I really don't think it'll be too big an issue. The movies are defined by action and of course the character is too, to some extent, but Indy doesn't really need to be running and punching his way through everything to be Indy. It'd be interesting to see how an older Indy deals with tricky situations (something not necessarily mined in KOTCS).

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry if I came off aggro, TM2YC hombre. Practical effects are all well and good; I'm just getting a bit tired of the fawning over them. Yes, the ToD dummies were real, and yes, they were the best they had at the time, but I still find them silly and bad-looking, as I do the entire mountain rafting and mine cart sequences. Still, you're right, they were a small part of that movie in terms of running time, albeit not so small, IMO, in terms of impact.

Myself, I'd get most excited if Spielberg said this next one will be about the character of Indy, and that their main goal would be to tell a fresh story in possibly another genre altogether, rather than just come up with some other MacGuffin to get him back with his jacket, fedora, and whip as a basic necessity. The promise of badass stunts, especially from an old-ass grandpa, doesn't make me rush to the nearest theater, but if it does you, I'm of course no one to say that's not legit. :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you really just use "aggro?"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Sorry if I came off aggro, TM2YC hombre.

No sweat.

njvc said:
- No labooof. One line of dialogue to explain that he is elsewhere would be fine.

A fridge fell on him.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc, I like almost your entire list, with one exception:

njvc said:
- Direct Ford to stay understated, ala Raiders and Doom, and be less Goofy, ala Crusade and Skull.

I don't think he was goofy at all in Skull. I thought he was grouchy and acting like he was too good to be there. I want a lighter touch this time from him.

The rest of your list is great, though, and I agree wholeheartedly with it!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoy almost every performance in Skull, actually, except for Mac.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I must say that I didn't find the acting bad in Skull either (exept for Mac, indeed, and Ox... but it was their charcacters and dialogue more than the performance itself I think).

I even enjoyed Crystal Skull when I saw it the first time in theater. I was okay with the alien angle (although the CG shot at the end was not needed, at all). I did not like the idea of a son of Indy, but I'm okay with whatever a movie has to offer if it's well done. And the father/son plot worked enough to not annoy me too much. The fridge, the monkeys and the THREE waterfalls were too much for my taste (specialy the tarzan/monkeys scene...) but overall it's not that kind things that can kill a movie to me. Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy movie and it's full of over the top, impossible moments.

So all in all I was pleased with that silly little adventure and i'm fully aware that it worked on me mostly because of the nostalgia trip. Though I noticed on first viewing that there were way too many main characters. The movie felt messy because of it.
But it's not a movie that can pass the multiple viewings test. The second time it became obvious that the scenes were not well connected. Mac and Ox were already not interesting the first time, but they became really annoying. The final (that felt rushed already the first time) now felt totaly uneventful.
The worst scene being the death of Mac. I mean it is laughably bad. Bad directing, bad dialogue, bad acting, bad special effects. That scene is worse to me than the fridge or the CG prairie dogs.
I think Skull is good enough to create the illusion of an entertaining movie because it uses all the old good tricks that worked in the previous Indiana Jones, but (unlike The Force Awakens) the new things that the movie brings are not good enough to make it on par with the others.
And the main problem is the script. The movie is a follow up of cool scenes that are not connected well enough to make the whole thing standing proud as a solid movie. That's what makes it difficult to fanedit it.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A writer has been tapped for Indy 5. Unfortunately, it's David Koepp, who's also responsible for Crystal Skull.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/indiana-jones-5-writer-david-koepp-1201733969/

While this news makes me a little nervous, perhaps he also wants to make amends for the previous film. Also, Indy 4 went through something like 15 drafts, which may have accounted for its schizophrenic nature. If the filmmakers stay on track with a single vision, it will probably be better.

In addition to Crystal Skull, Koepp previously worked with Spielberg on Jurassic Park and The Lost World (and, although the article doesn't mention it, on War of the Worlds too).

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, nothing wrong with Koepp. The problem with KOTCS was that the final script ended up being a greatest hits collection of a bunch of different elements from all the previous drafts. Whether or not that was Koepp's decision (my bet is it was George's), that's not going to happen this time with only one screenwriter.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy movie and it's full of over the top, impossible moments.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Most of Koepp's stuff in the years since Crystal Skull looks like dreck but he's written amazing stuff in the past, so I wouldn't count him out.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Premium Rush is great! :-D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is pure AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!! :D

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE8v5WDbbC4[/video]

More!  I want MORE!!!  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes awesome... and a tiny bit depressing. If a fan can do stunningly gorgeous "hand drawn" animations like that, why can't we have any films like this anymore :dodgy: , does it all have to be 3D-CGI (And a few stop-motion films admittedly. Kubu rules!). I'd pay through the nose to watch an Indy TV-show/film that looked like this. Please take my money film studios!

Top Bottom