• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IJ - Indiana Jones

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd hoped for one last adventure with Ford and Spielberg before any kind of 'recasting/reboot' of this franchise, which would have hopefully ended their involvement on a higher note than their last instalment did.

But sadly, it looks like that opportunity has faded, and Chris Pratt is heavily-tipped to take over Ford's mantle now. I happen to like Chris Pratt, but as far as I'm concerned, he might be better suited to playing a grown up 'Mutt' Jones...rather than 'Indy'/Professor Jones. :p

Anyway, while I'd rather someone relatively unknown get this star-making role, I'm more interested in who would be directing the thing. And Deadline is reporting a certain familiar possibility on that front - http://www.deadline.com/2015/02/steven-spielberg-direct-chris-pratt-indiana-jones-reboot-1201378113/

MackerelSkyLtd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Come on guys, surely if you're going to have the film star "the next Harrison Ford," it should be directed by "The next Spielberg," too...I'm pulling for a new IJ film directed by M. Night Shyamalan! Just think of what a beautiful film it would be, with the director cameo, the wooden acting, and naturally, the TWIST!

I suggest it's a prequel to Temple of Doom that ties that film in with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and wiping Raiders and Last Crusade out of continuity. Can't you imagine Pratt meeting young Mola Ram, acted by Shyamalan himself, and getting some key advice on pursuing obscure boring Macguffins that are translucent and occasionally glow?

That'd be awesome, right guys?

...guys? Huh. Everyone left.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still don't want Chris Pratt, but there's been so much buzz now, I think it's going to happen.

Spielberg has lost his drive for doing lighthearted fantasy adventures. I would want someone with a fresh vision, probably someone who grew up with the franchise. But I don't think I'm going to get what I want there, either. Oh, well. :)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
I still don't want Chris Pratt, but there's been so much buzz now, I think it's going to happen.
I'm not sold on the idea of Chris Pratt as Indy. I like him, but he just seems wrong for the role to me.

[Spielberg has lost his drive for doing lighthearted fantasy adventures.
What about "The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn"? I thought that one turned out very well.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yeah, I totally dug that one, too.

And, while I'm here...

374080_v1.jpg

:oops:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
I'm not sold on the idea of Chris Pratt as Indy. I like him, but he just seems wrong for the role to me.

Yeah, same here.

hbenthow said:
What about "The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn"? I thought that one turned out very well.

It was cute but felt a little dull. The characters were a bit generic (for instance, the bumbling inspectors who can't do their own job as well as a kid can). Overall, it felt just like another episode of DuckTales. I like DuckTales, but I didn't feel like I was seeing anything new or innovative, or even feel like the usual stuff was being done on a significantly higher level.

I don't have any animosity towards it, but I don't think it's anywhere near the level of his classics in that genre. Tintin is a film that I'd actually point to, to say that Spielberg's time for doing this type of movie is past.

But, hey, maybe he wants to do it to prove that the problems with Crystal Skull weren't his fault. I'll keep an open mind.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this movie (the remake itself) at a screening years ago; it's a lot of fun:

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not really sure where else to put this (mods, please feel free to move if you feel it is warranted). HF has been injured in a plane crash. Initial reports were that he was in critical condition, but his condition seems to have been upgraded to fair to moderate, and his son has tweeted that he is battered, but doing OK. The photo of the crash is really quite scary. Get well soon!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/harrison-ford-injured-plane-crash-n318301

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An interesting short video commentary on the historical roots of the "Lost City/Civilization" trope that Indy and other pulp heroes have partaken from...

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting commentary that takes me back to my undergrad days as an archaeology major. As with most things, it's a bit more complicated than he is setting out, but he does make good points, particularly about Haggard (though it also has to be said that Haggard made an attempt -- not much of one to our modern eyes, but an attempt nonetheless that was unusual for its time -- to humanize the Africans in his novels through Quatermain's relatively enlightened view of them and through the character of Umbopa).

It's also interesting how deep the roots are of the "natives couldn't have built it, so aliens (of the nonhuman variety) must have" trope. I've often thought that Erich von Daniken's book from the 1970s, Chariots of the Gods, was the root of a lot of the trope, and it certainly had its (unfortunate from a scientific point of view, but maybe useful from a storytelling point of view) influence on everything from Battlestar Galactica to KOTCS to Stargate (not to mention the TV show Ancient Aliens, of course). But the trope goes back a lot further than that. I was just rereading the original origin story for Doctor Fate, and his dad the archaeologist speculates about an alien origin for the pyramids:

JLof_A_95_34_Doc_Fate_1.jpg

And that was published in May, 1941.

On to some tangentially-related-to-Indy stuff:

1. Multiple sources are reporting that HF is out of the hospital -- still dealing with a number of serious injuries, including a broken pelvis and broken ankle(s?), but he is expected to fully recover in time.

2. The director for The Age of Adaline posted this photo comparison to his Instagram page. I saw it on Ingruber's FB timeline and felt I had to share (yes, that's a pre-scar HF on the right):

Ingruber_and_Ford.png

And hang on -- hadn't noticed this particular detail before, but Ingruber on the left has an HF scar added!

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Interesting commentary that takes me back to my undergrad days as an archaeology major. As with most things, it's a bit more complicated than he is setting out, but he does make good points, particularly about Haggard (though it also has to be said that Haggard made an attempt -- not much of one to our modern eyes, but an attempt nonetheless that was unusual for its time -- to humanize the Africans in his novels through Quatermain's relatively enlightened view of them and through the character of Umbopa).
One thing in particular that MovieBob overlooked is that a notable reason, most likely the main reason, that European explorers saw the ruins as "lost cities" is because they were uninhabited ruins. Had they been well-maintained cities populated by Africans, they would have thought differently. The fact is that for whatever reason, these cities were abandoned and ruined, while the then-present African natives lived in much less advanced abodes and showed no signs of the architectural know-how needed to build such cities. The most obvious inference that European explorers could make when coming upon such a ruined city is that it was either built by an entirely different civilization than those currently occupying the area, or, in the words of Carl Denham in "King Kong", "it was "built so long ago that the people who live there have slipped back, forgotten the higher civilization that built it".

As for H. Rider Haggard's attempt to humanize Africans in "King Solomon's Mines", it may or may nor have been "not much of one to our modern eyes", but it went very far for its day. He even included hints of an interracial romance. That was pretty risky back then.

2. The director for The Age of Adaline posted this photo comparison to his Instagram page. I saw it on Ingruber's FB timeline and felt I had to share (yes, that's a pre-scar HF on the right):

Ingruber_and_Ford.png

And hang on -- hadn't noticed this particular detail before, but Ingruber on the left has an HF scar added!
Imitating someone is one thing and acting while imitating someone is another. So, until "Age of Adaline" is released, we won't know for certain how good Anthony Ingruber is at simultaneously acting and impersonating Harrison Ford. But if he winds up knocking it out of the park, they should strongly consider casting him as a young Indiana Jones and/or Han Solo.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The reviews are in for Age of Adaline, and it looks like Ingruber is getting strong notices even from critics who disliked the movie overall. Here are some samples:

Boston Globe: "25-year-old Anthony Ingruber (“The People vs. George Lucas”), a sometime Ford impersonator, uncannily playing his character as a young man"

San Francisco Chronicle: "Also worthy of note is Anthony Ingruber, who plays the same character in the flashback scenes, imitating Ford shamelessly, from the voice, to the swagger, to the sneering wise-guy smile."

Globe and Mail: "Anthony Ingruber, a Canadian actor noted for impressions, delivers a fantastic, cocky young Harrison Ford"

Daily Bruin: "He is also outshone by Anthony Ingruber, who plays young William, with a trademark smile that is much more impressive than [Michiel] Huisman’s acting."

Dana Barbuto (syndicated): "As Ford’s younger doppelganger seen in flashback, look-alike Anthony Ingruber perfectly apes Ford’s gravelly voice and presence."

And then there's this, from an interview with the director on Fast Company:

"Krieger says that after Ford saw the movie, the first thing he did was call him up and say, 'Anthony Ingruber is a miracle,' and it’s one that other people have noticed: Krieger has fielded questions about the visual effects needed to create a young Harrison Ford from film classes and reporters, but, he says, 'It’s 100% Anthony.'"

Whether he gets cast or not, if the director's quote is accurate, Ingruber's gotten HF's seal of approval, which probably means more to him than that of any critic.

Haven't seen the film yet, but I definitely plan to...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought for an second that the dude was portraying the young Harrison Ford, then I realised he's just playing the younger version of Ford's character :-(.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Going to dinner with her would not be a "bad date"! :-D

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kirestananderson01 said:
I should finally get around to watching some Indiana Jones fanedits.

I even want to punch your avatar in the face.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I even want to punch your avatar in the face.

You know, you can actually do that. It would involve punching your monitor though, so be careful how much force you use.

Top Bottom