• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Idea: PICK OF THE FIRSTLINGS

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had an idea for fanedit.org. Along with the news updates, why not have a small selection of the latest firstlings? There are plenty of them coming and I think the editors would really appreciate the added exposure.

...or something along those lines at least.

well, we have a firstling section for approved firstlings.
I made a news post for people from the website to come to the forum and watch the unapproved ones. I would really not want to go any further. It's a quality issue, you know. Some firstlings really are better off not given to a big audience.
A good example is MATRIX UNLEASHED. No one should waste any time on downloading such garbage.
Or do you mean some special attention for the approved ones? Now how would I do that? They are released like anything else is and I think it would look kind of strange if the new SPENCE edit received less of attention than a firstling.

i think no more attention on the website really needs to be given to the firstlings. Thats why we created firstlings, for quality control. Once they are approved they will get on the site and receive as much attention as the other edits.

I am so far quite happy with the firstlings rule. Not totally, because still garbage fanedits are released. if the faneditor had a previous approvement, he can release whatever, but I guess this is as far as quality control should go. Bad movies get released too. The reviews will show the way.

is there anyway to add some sort of star rating system similar to how you rate your ebay transaction? could be for video, audio, package, storytelling. or something like that. we are currently not getting many people leaving comments on the fanedit page. perhaps this might make it a bit easier. you could still add comments, but this might help to add more ratings to an edit. just an idea

I thought about a rating system and of course it would be possible, but currently it does not make much sense, because there is no reason to believe people will more likely use a rating system than leave a single comment. Maybe sometimes. Currently it would not be worth the effort. And with such few voters, those ratings could be very false.
In the forum in the review section we rate the fanedits. Maybe we could do a monthly transfer of those statistics to fanedit.org.

boon23 said:
...Currently it would not be worth the effort. And with such few voters, those ratings could be very false.
In the forum in the review section we rate the fanedits. Maybe we could do a monthly transfer of those statistics to fanedit.org.

i think this will help. I believe there are still a ton of people who don't check out the forum. Even those people who do occasionally visit the forum, still miss a lot I think. I think a monthly transfer of stats for those edits that have review topics would be very helpful

hehe, and now we need someone who is up for the job... :) This means work.

There are plenty of plugins for Wordpress that allow ratings, and I reckon that'll be a good start for this idea.

I was just wondering, how often do you update the forum software? I know you use phpBB (I can tell by its characteristics) but I was wondering if the polls system could be hacked or something to have a star-rating option alongside the polls... Of course this would only apply to the new topics, it would be a pain the arse to import data from the polls database and reformat it for a star rating.

The star rating could pool data with the website, for example you have a star rating on the board which uses the same data pool as the star rating on the website, therefore anyone can vote.

Or would that be asking a bit much?

I'm looking such a system up now, so there's no need to freakout over an ever-increasing workload. ;)

I did find this: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a
but it wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

But feel free to ignore all of the above, as I'm brainstorming.

lol, if only we could clone ourselves boon :lol:

how about a rating system based on one word.
whoever watches something posts a one word comment: GREAT, GOOD, BAD, SO-SO, TRASH.

I own the website, but I am far away from a system op. My knowledge about all these things is VERY limited. But if we had an expert to take care of these things, I am all ears.
We are running an old version of phpbb2 and also a rather old version of wordpress. I hesitate to update, because I have no intention to fuck anything up. It's working...

killbillme said:
how about a rating system based on one word.
whoever watches something posts a one word comment: GREAT, GOOD, BAD, SO-SO, TRASH.
what's the difference to posting a number in the forum?

The problem is that people cannot be arsed to post, but the idea is great if you only have to press one button. I like it a lot, actually.

Boon, the old versions have security vulnerabilities. Therefore you're more likely to have someone else fuck up the website than you.

Remember back when Aztek had his avatar changed to Booble?

I will ask Nex... :)

indeed me too, just being able to click a button that says great, good, bad, terrible is gonna be a lot easier. than having to login to the site and then type out a comment.

Back
Top Bottom