• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

I recently saw a post about a 35mm open Matte Theatrical cut of Lotr in HDR.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone see this? How is the quality? I was going to add filmgrain painstackingly to the 4k DNR mess but fake filmgrain is always far less nice than true awesome filmgrain!
It's a whopping 230 GB for all 3 films but still!

Try it and see.

Yeah I am going to. Im just curious considering its 230 GB lol and I've got no idea how the framing is for these films in a differen AR. Some movies are pretty amazing in open matte, whereas other just look amateuristic like spiderman with the boom constantly visible lol.

That's the collective size of all three films. You don't have to get them all at the same time.

Are you sure it's open matte? It doesn't say so on the post.

That's the collective size of all three films. You don't have to get them all at the same time.

Are you sure it's open matte? It doesn't say so on the post.

I might have misread! I will have to download them all because these things tend to get taken down quickly.

I'm not so sure a 35mm open matte print would be available for movies like LOTR. All three films were shot in the Super 35 format, then anamorphically stretched for the theatrical release. Since most prints are designed for a theatrical run, an open matte print would be an extremely rare find. That's something I'd imagine being in a giant Hollywood vault, rather than on eBay.

Then again, I'm not an expert on these things. But it sounds unlikely.

I'm not so sure a 35mm open matte print would be available for movies like LOTR. All three films were shot in the Super 35 format, then anamorphically stretched for the theatrical release. Since most prints are designed for a theatrical run, an open matte print would be an extremely rare find. That's something I'd imagine being in a giant Hollywood vault, rather than on eBay.

Then again, I'm not an expert on these things. But it sounds unlikely.

Yeah I just checked and it's a 'normal' scan. However it has great grain and HDR colors. So it's a great find nonetheless especially considering the botched official 4k release.

Ok so the grain is very pretty. It has some scratches which are a bit much on fotr, but RotK is near perfect to me.

The colors are better than either bluray or 4k release. this will probably be my go to version. It's not the extended, but having a film that looks more like I remember it in the cinema is worth more to me than some extra scenes tbh.

Its kot an open matte as predicted, which is a perk tbh. Saves me the cropping.

Back
Top Bottom