• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

I need help converting an image to a different aspect ratio

skyblue

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a 4:3 video & I need to stretch it to 16:9. Is there anyway to do that?

I had to crop the video to 4:3 already as it was originally widescreened & pillerboxed .

They are deleted scenes. I will show you a video sample of what I mean:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks?

Last edited:
You need to crop instead of stretching. Stretching it will distort the image and cause it to stick out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do to make it match 16:9 is to create the same dimensions and then frame the shot as best as you can.

I'm a bit confused though. It was widescreen and then you cropped it to 4:3 and now you want to recrorp it to 16:9?

I'm a bit confused though. It was widescreen and then you cropped it to 4:3 and now you want to recrorp it to 16:9?
Sounds like the source video was 16x9 but had 4x3 footage with pillar boxes baked in on the sides, and he cropped away the black boxes, returning it back to 4x3.

I think it would help if you posted a capture of the video you want to convert, so we can see the possible issues. If you can't post it because you're a newcomer, PM it to me and I'll post it.

Cropping it is easy with VirtualDub. Of course, then you'll need to upscale it to fit into the HD movie, but that's a different subject...

This is how I have done it and would still do it when combining a blu-ray and old letterboxed deleted footage. Luckily the Terminator deleted scenes have some shots the same as the blu-ray (I picked a frame of Kyle off of youtube as an example), so you can use those to match up your deleted scene source.

Big image warning:

52000977619_900c6996be_o.jpg

Let me know if that makes no sense :LOL:.

Last edited:
By the way, I'd recommend investing in this specific 2006 Region-A Terminator blu-ray...

6f936f2a-0c8c-40e0-91c2-554647202162.91d1be3b3cec37e1e7cfc6a2aa4ea820.jpeg

...for such a project. It's the only blu-ray that has the old colour-timing, without the green tint of later releases. So it will match the un-tinted deleted scenes much better. You might need to go to eBay to get a copy.

EDIT: I screen grabbed the same frame from that blu-ray:

52000995559_cb12003c60_k.jpg

By the way, I'd recommend investing in this specific 2006 Region-A Terminator blu-ray...

6f936f2a-0c8c-40e0-91c2-554647202162.91d1be3b3cec37e1e7cfc6a2aa4ea820.jpeg

...for such a project. It's the only blu-ray that has the old colour-timing, without the green tint of later releases. So it will match the un-tinted deleted scenes much better. You might need to go to eBay to get a copy.

52000995559_cb12003c60_k.jpg
This x1000. I find it completely insulting when they teal-and-orange older films.

I wouldn't. It's a waste of money IMO
Picture quality of this release sucks ( CLICK ) and color timing can be changed/fixed anyway. Either that of the movie or that of deleted scenes.

I'd rather try to fit the deleted scenes to the colors of new transfer (which I prefer), also, I'd try to put some fake grain in Full HD on them (after re-sizing them to Full HD) to make them look closer to new Blu-ray. Even better, some simulated 35mm look for the whole edit could have been nice ;) (feels like I am closer and closer to announcing Grindhouse Terminator... nah, not yet ;))

Last edited:
@skyblue14213 what NLE are you using? That can help determine the approach for making the footage fit the same dimensions.

I wouldn't. It's a waste of money IMO
Picture quality of this release sucks ( CLICK )

"sucks" is a bit of an exaggeration but yeah it's an old transfer and sadly not as sharp as the newer transfer with the wrong colours. However, if you look at shot 6 from the link you posted the new transfer has a lot of the highlights blown out due to excessive contrast (contrast which gives the newer transfer some of that extra sharpness):

So both transfers have their pluses and minuses. I own both blu-rays of T1.

and color timing can be changed/fixed anyway. Either that of the movie or that of deleted scenes.

I wish fixing this kind of revisionism on old movies was as easy as that but yeah you could just tweak the deleted scenes to match as you say.

As the deleted scenes are "low-res+old-grade" and the blu-ray I suggested is also "low-res+old-grade" I still say that's the ideal source to go with.

Only if you want the whole edit to be low-res+old-grade too :)

I'm not sure if it's the end-all-be-all, but I'm just starting on a fanedit of Eyes Wide Shut, and I used Handbrake to crop my file down from 16:9 (a.k.a. 1.78) to 1.85 via the dimensions tab. It might require a bit of math to use it, but Handbrake is free to use, so it's a good start!

Back
Top Bottom