• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

I have now watched Simpsons. Now this is the Official Thread

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
I've always thought Season 1 was awful, unfunny, and even rather moralistic. I'd stick with 2 to 9.

My counter argument:

[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/30916[/video]

[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/29524[/video]

(I couldn't find a video for these next ones.)

Telltale Head said:
Chief Wiggum: Well, we have no witnesses, no suspects, and no leads. If anyone has any information, please dial "0" and ask for the police. That number again, "0."

Crepes of Wrath said:

Adil
: How can you defend a country where five percent of the people control 95 percent of the wealth?
Lisa
: I'm defending a country where people can think, and act, and worship any way they want!
Adil
: Can not.
Lisa
: Can too.
Adil
: Can not!
Lisa
: Can too!
Homer
: Please, please, kids, stop fighting. Maybe Lisa's right about America being the land of opportunity, and maybe Adil's got a point about the machinery of capitalism being oiled with the blood of the workers.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm gonna have to disagree with a lot of people about the early seasons being good. At the time, they seemed groundbreaking, but when I go back and watch them now, the jokes are obvious and there's too much wasted time where nothing funny is happening. Also, the animation is just downright atrocious.

I would start with renting Season 5, the first season where the writers really seemed to be firing on all cylinders. Either that or Season 8. They're both almost pure comedy gold.

I would say that their heyday lasted for roughly ten years after that. (There are a number of true gems in Season 11, including "Behind the Laughter.") So I would say roughly Season 14 is when things fell apart, although maybe it was a little before or a little after that.

Obviously, others here disagree and they're entitled to that. I would just say, if you start at the beginning and find yourself not laughing that much, don't give up on the series entirely. Skip ahead to a later season and try again.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would start here or here. (I'm serious. Groening is a great, funny guy, but The Simpsons is not his best work, imho.)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simply put...

To quote from Treehouse of Horror #1:

Bart: Lisa, that wasn't scary. Not even for a poem.
Lisa: Well it was written in 1845. Maybe people were easier to scare back then.
Bart: Oh yeah, like when you look at Friday the 13th Part 1. It's pretty tame by today's standards.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
I would start here or here. (I'm serious. Groening is a great, funny guy, but The Simpsons is not his best work, imho.)
I like both those things, but you is crazy.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hehe. I'm not saying it isn't good. I just find it way too uneven compared to his other great stuff. Sure, there are plenty of good, even amazing, Simpsons episodes, but the prospect of watching entire seasons of it is enough to give me a headache. I prefer Futurama.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neg: I think you just made the case for my argument rather than against it (which, guessing by your other posts, was your intent). Early Simpsons is pretty tame by today's standards! :)

Also, sorry to the Futurama fans, but I'm going to have to disagree again. I like sci-fi, animation, and comedy, but I find Futurama incredibly tepid. "Maximum Homerdrive," the Simpsons episode that aired before Futurama's premiere, was hysterically funny. The Futurama premiere got maybe one or two polite chuckles out of me. I've seen the occasional episode since then, and I haven't found them any more than mildly amusing.

I know this is going to cause a number of heart attacks in this forum. (Please don't come after me with pitchforks!) :p You can like whatever you want. But I just wouldn't say to anyone who hasn't tried The Simpsons yet that they should start with Futurama. To me, that's like saying that a person who has never seen Star Wars should start with Willow instead. (And this is coming from someone who likes Willow.) The Simpsons is the masterwork; the other stuff is gravy.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. YMMV.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your mileage may vary.

And people are so wrong in this thread, I don't even bother to respond any more. ;)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
And people are so wrong in this thread, I don't even bother to respond any more. ;)

stupidm.jpg

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:

Heh heh. Well, my opinion certainly isn't the majority opinion by any stretch.

At any rate, anyone really interested in The Simpsons ought to start here. :? LOL

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, g1, have we completely confused you now? :) Or do you have some idea where you want to start?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like how g1 hasn't said anything in the thread since the OP.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We've been fooled on the foolingest day of our lives with an electrified fooling machine.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope this has taught you kids a lesson: kids never learn.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah. Actually i forgot about this thread this time :p Well i will propably start from season 2. Maybe 1. See what the fuzz is about :p

Top Bottom