• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

I have now watched Simpsons. Now this is the Official Thread

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Futurama crossover was good. Should have been a two parter. Not enough Zoidberg. No Zap Brannigan. But everything and everyone they did cram in was well handled. I miss the show a lot. The last two or so seasons were a little rough, but I think the world and characters still have a lot of potential for good stories to be told. I wouldn't be opposed to another direct to video movie. But of course, we've had four good endings to Futurama. May be best to quit while we're ahead. In a jar.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
I miss the show a lot. The last two or so seasons were a little rough, but I think the world and characters still have a lot of potential for good stories to be told.

To be fair, though, it may be best to get out while the getting's still good (which, admittedly, you also suggest). I'm hard-pressed to find anyone who still likes The Simpsons or thinks that the series had anything of value to offer beyond Season 10 (besides myself, who thinks it still had life through Season 15 and is still occasionally good for a chuckle). Most people who loved the show now hate it. Why have the same thing happen to Futurama?

I realize that you're saying mainly the same thing. I just thought it was an interesting point worth discussing. :)

Someone (Fred Astaire, maybe) once said, "Always leave them a little hungry." That's something that American pop culture doesn't seem particularly good at these days. Their motto seems to be, "Beat the dead horse."

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
To be fair, though, it may be best to get out while the getting's still good (which, admittedly, you also suggest). I'm hard-pressed to find anyone who still likes The Simpsons or thinks that the series had anything of value to offer beyond Season 10 (besides myself, who thinks it still had life through Season 15 and is still occasionally good for a chuckle). Most people who loved the show now hate it. Why have the same thing happen to Futurama?

I still love The Simpsons.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently rewatched Seasons 3 & 4 of The Simpsons, so here is my rating of each episode:

Season 3:

Stark Raving Dad - B+
Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington - B-
When Flanders Failed - B+
Bart The Murderer - A
Homer Defined - B-
Like Father, Like Clown - B-
Treehouse of Horror II - A+
Lisa's Pony - A-
Saturdays of Thunder - B+
Flaming Moe's - A-
Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk - B
I Married Marge - A
Radio Bart - C+
Lisa The Greek - A-
Homer Alone - B+
Bart the Lover - A
Homer At The Bat - A
Separate Vocations - B
Dog of Death - B
Colonel Homer - A-
Black Widower - A
The Otto Show - A+
Bart's Friend Falls In Love - A
Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes? - A-

Season 4:

Kamp Krusty - B+
A Streetcar Named Marge - B
Homer The Heretic - A
Lisa The Beauty Queen - B
Treehouse of Horror III - A+
Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie - A
Marge Gets A Job - B
New Kid On The Block - A
Mr. Plow - A+
Lisa's First Word - A
Homer's Triple Bypass - B+
Marge Vs. The Monorail - A-
Selma's Choice - B-
Brother From The Same Planet - A+
I Love Lisa - A+
Duffless - A+
Last Exit to Springfield - A-
So It's Come To This: A Simpson's Clip Show - B
The Front - A-
Whacking Day - A-
Marge In Chains - B+
Krusty Gets Kancelled - B+

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Radio Bart - C+

:-?

Granted, I haven't seen it in a while, but I don't recall it being below B material.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bart's such an insufferable asshole in that episode, and his "Timmy in the well prank" is terrible. They did the whole "Boy Who Cried Wolf" joke better in 9F05 "Marge Gets A Job".

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Never liked that episode either. Would have been more tolerable if there had been another story alongside it but it took up most of the episode and it never really got off...

"The Shinning" is my all-time favourite Treehouse episode. Never gets old that one :) The Willie Krueger episode is hilarious as well.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Harry Shearer is leaving the series. His many characters will be recast, instead of written out.

... can't the show just end with dignity at this point?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've rewatched Seasons 2 & 5 of "The Simpsons" and here be my ratings for each episode:

Season 2:

Bart Gets an F - B+
Simpson and Delilah - B
Treehouse of Horror - A+
Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish - B
Dancin' Homer - B-
Dead Putting Society - A-
Bart vs. Thanksgiving - B-
Bart the Daredevil - B+
Itchy & Scratchy & Marge - A-
Bart Gets Hit by a Car - B
One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish - B+
The Way We Was - A+
Homer vs. Lisa and the Eighth Commandment - A
Principal Charming - B
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? - A-
Bart's Dog Gets an F - B-
Old Money - B-
Brush with Greatness - B
Lisa's Substitute - A+
The War of the Simpsons - B+
Three Men and a Comic Book - A-
Blood Feud - B+

Season 5:

Homer's Barbershop Quartet - A
Cape Feare - A+
Homer Goes to College - A+
Rosebud - A
Treehouse of Horror IV - A+
Marge on the Lam - A-
Bart's Inner Child - B
Boy Scoutz N the Hood - A
The Last Temptation of Homer - A+
$pringfield (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling) - A
Homer the Vigilante - A
Bart Gets Famous - B+
Homer and Apu - A
Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy - A
Deep Space Homer - B+
Homer Loves Flanders - A-
Bart Gets an Elephant - A
Burns' Heir - B+
Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song - A-
The Boy Who Knew Too Much - B
Lady Bouvier's Lover - B+
Secrets of a Successful Marriage - B

As you can tell, Season 5 is my favorite (along with Season 6).

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
www.frinkiac.com

Google is now useless to me.

Search: 200 points.

270287.jpg

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a season 1-10 guy only, though I've stumbled across the odd decent episode from beyond then. Every now and again I try to dip into later seasons, hoping to find a gem or 2. Sometimes I'm surprised, sometimes I could shoot myself. 

A friend recently lent me seasons 13-15, so I'm giving them a whirl. On disc one of 13 and it's not quite as bad as I expected. Not classic Simpsons by any means, but it can be quite funny. The annoying thing is that it's basically a different show. Different animation, different characters, cruder jokes etc.

I've been toying with the idea of fanediting some of the better episodes into a sort of collected alternative season set for a while. Not really sure how doable it is though.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rewatched the tenth season of The Simpsons (really the first season of Zombie Simpsons).

EPISODE RATINGS:

• "Lard of the Dance" – 5/10
  • "The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace" – 7/10
  • "Bart the Mother" – 7/10
  • "Treehouse of Horror IX" – 8/10
  • "When You Dish Upon a Star" – 7/10
  • "D'oh-in' in the Wind" – 8/10
  • "Lisa Gets an 'A'" – 8/10
  • "Homer Simpson in 'Kidney Trouble'" – 6/10
  • "Mayored to the Mob" – 6/10
  • "Viva Ned Flanders" – 5/10
  • "Wild Barts Can't be Broken" – 5/10
  • "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday" – 5/10
  • "Homer to the Max" – 5/10
  • "I'm with Cupid" – 5/10
  • "Marge Simpson in 'Screaming Yellow Honkers'" – 6/10
  • "Make Room for Lisa" – 6/10
  • "Maximum Homerdrive" – 7/10
  • "Simpsons Bible Stories" – 5/10
  • "Mom and Pop Art" – 7/10
  • "The Old Man and the 'C' Student" – 6/10
  • "Monty Can't Buy Me Love" – 3/10
  • "They Saved Lisa's Brain" – 5/10
  • "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo" – 4/10
SEASON RATING: 5/10

Most of the good episodes are early in the season (and surprise surprise, almost half of them are holdovers from Season 9). The remaining episodes are mostly boring and unfunny, full of Jerkass Homer, with plots which fizzle out or crash on the launch pad. And once we get to "Monty Can't Buy Me Love", the odor of decaying yellow flesh has become pungent.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like putting "Lard of The Dance" on the same level as "Viva Ned Flanders" is just harsh. It's got 2 coherent subplots that work for the characters, which is pretty rare for the new incarnation of Simpsons. There are also a fair few memorable gags to my recollection, as well as some great Skinner moments (spoiler tags for ease of life):

giphy.gif

h0P3rH.gif

giphy.gif

iFkw9F.gif

hJkVRn.gif

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know what you guys are talking about.  The Simpsons ended after Season 9 because everyone involved agreed they had done everything worth doing.

Top Bottom