• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

I have now watched Simpsons. Now this is the Official Thread

Linten1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
American digital cable channel FXX will have a 12-day Simpsons marathon. Every episode ever + the movie. Starts today.
I bet that doesn't include the Tracey Ullman episodes:/

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As far as I know, they won't be airing. But it'd be a nice thing to do, little bumpers in between episodes.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Linten1 said:
I bet that doesn't include the Tracey Ullman episodes:/

The network is showing this one program exclusively for nearly two weeks -- 552 episodes. It's arguably the longest TV marathon ever. Are you honestly complaining that they're not doing enough? Seriously?

I wish that other shows I liked got half as much love as this.

Linten1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
The network is showing this one program exclusively for nearly two weeks -- 552 episodes. It's arguably the longest TV marathon ever. Are you honestly complaining that they're not doing enough? Seriously?

I wish that other shows I liked got half as much love as this.

I'm watching the marathon as I watch this. So....no.:)

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That is the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time...

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Linten1 said:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/24/6060887/fxx-is-cropping-standard-definition-simpsons-episodes

The only time I really noticed this was in the opening credits where Bart is writing his punishment on the chalk board.

Ugh. It's insane that FXX would do this. The whole point of the push for letterboxing on home video is that audiences want to see the whole picture. Having widescreen for its own sake, when the original is not widescreen, is beyond stupid.

Why do networks think they're doing anyone a service with this? Why did they spend time, money and effort to give the audience less of the full experience?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's really odd is that for anything that's being watched on TV within the show (Itchy & Scratchy, etc.) is properly pillarboxed 4:3. So the powers that be want to maintain the scope of the shows within the show, but not the show itself.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I have now watched Simpsons" still makes me laugh.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
[INSERT LONG RANT HERE]

I can write you up a detailed list of which episodes to watch in what order.

Let me summarize it :

1) Season 1 episodes 1-13.
2) Season 2 episodes 1-22.
3) Season 3 episodes 1-24.
4) Season 4 episodes 1-22.
5) Season 5 episodes 1-22.
6) Season 6 episodes 1-22.
7) Season 7 episodes 1-25.
8) Season 8 episodes 1-25.
9) Season 9 episodes 1-25.
10) Enjoy life.
With the marathon, this really hit home as absolutely true. Every time I tuned in to a random episode from the first nine seasons, I thought "I love this one, it's a classic." There may have been some stinkers that I just happened to miss, but man that show was ridiculously consistently great for those first nine (maybe more) seasons.

A few thoughts:

The Conan seasons are maybe a high water mark.

While not precipitous, there was definitely something lost when Brad Bird left.

Phil Hartman's death had way more of a negative impact on the show than I had ever previously thought.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
With the marathon, this really hit home as absolutely true. Every time I tuned in to a random episode from the first nine seasons, I thought "I love this one, it's a classic." There may have been some stinkers that I just happened to miss, but man that show was ridiculously consistently great for those first nine (maybe more) seasons.

A few thoughts:

The Conan seasons are maybe a high water mark.

While not precipitous, there was definitely something lost when Brad Bird left.

Phil Hartman's death had way more of a negative impact on the show than I had ever previously thought.

I still think Season 10 was solid. And, while 11 is where things started to get really bad, "Behind the Laughter" is a standout. Would have worked well as a series finale.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was pleasantly surprised at how good tonight's Treehouse of Horror episode was. Kubrick FTW.

Stanley Kubrick said:
M3XawQ.png

Let's burn this, let's rewrite everything and let's start all over.

Although, they could have squeezed in more film canister jokes there...

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
treehouse of horrors marathon on fxx next sunday, 12 hours, 24 episodes.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked this years, and last years (Tod Browning's freaks ftw)

what was that year where they parodied Mr & Mrs Smith? wth did that have to do with Halloween? ugh!

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I was pleasantly surprised at how good tonight's Treehouse of Horror episode was. Kubrick FTW.

Although, they could have squeezed in more film canister jokes there...
According to the commentary for the "Shinning" treehouse of horror, matt Groening said that Kubrick was a huge fan of the simpsons. He actually called the station up after the episode aired to thank them for making the parody. I don't think any other show has referenced Kubrick as much as the simpsons.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is the first year that I haven't seen the Treehouse of Horrors episode. I don't get FOX anymore and for some reason Global, who simulcasts FOX's Sunday night line-up here in Canada, only aired the first, and I think the second, episodes of the season. The 8-9 P.M. timeslot has been replaced with that new Tea Leoni show, Madame President I think it's called, and the 9-10 P.M. timeslot has been replaced with The Good Wife. :mad2:

Top Bottom