• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

I don't always read but when I do...

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tend to read detective type series like Spenser (by Robert B. Parker), Elvis Cole (by Robert Crais) and Jack Reacher (by Lee Child).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Robert B. Parker's SPENSER is my favorite. Though in the last few years, the novels felt pretty much phoned in. Still great dialogue, but no real attempt at plot or mystery any more.

Do you like the JESSE STONE novels. The movie series with Tom Selleck is amazing!!:)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Douglas Adams two 'Dirk Gently' books are fantastic detective stories albeit completely off the wall and deliciously funny.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Robert B. Parker's SPENSER is my favorite. Though in the last few years, the novels felt pretty much phoned in. Still great dialogue, but no real attempt at plot or mystery any more.

Do you like the JESSE STONE novels. The movie series with Tom Selleck is amazing!!:)

I think I read one Jesse Stone. I've seen one or two of the Tom Selleck movies. I agree he's pretty good.

I happened to love the Spenser TV Show and was surprised to hear, when I went to my local library to hear Robert B. Parker give a talk, that he didn't like Urich or Avery Brooks as Spenser and Hawk respectively. I happen to love them both and always picture them when I read the books. Joe Mantegna, on the other hand, in the recent TV movies is awful IMO. His delivery of Spenser's sarcasm and humor is just terrible.

Frantic Canadian, I wasn't even aware Mike Hammer was a literary character, I just know of him from the TV show. I'm sorry to say I won't be trying the books any time soon as I'd be picturing Stacy Keach as I read, and that is not something I would not wish upon my worst enemy!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
I happened to love the Spenser TV Show and was surprised to hear, when I went to my local library to hear Robert B. Parker give a talk, that he didn't like Urich or Avery Brooks as Spenser and Hawk respectively. I happen to love them both and always picture them when I read the books. Joe Mantegna, on the other hand, in the recent TV movies is awful IMO. His delivery of Spenser's sarcasm and humor is just terrible.

I agree, the SPENSER FOR HIRE series was wonderful. Urich's best role ever! And Brooks owns that role. No one can do it better. I just wish they would release it on dvd. I loved the show, which led to the novels. So like you, I only see Urich and Brooks in the roles.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I just wish they would release it on dvd.

Both my dad and I have the same wish! For what it's worth, I believe the site "slash tv" or something like that ( a streaming site with ads similar to hulu) have most of the episodes streaming.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Frantic Canadian, I wasn't even aware Mike Hammer was a literary character, I just know of him from the TV show. I'm sorry to say I won't be trying the books any time soon as I'd be picturing Stacy Keach as I read, and that is not something I would not wish upon my worst enemy!

He goes way back to 1947. Aside from the books there was also a radio series from December 1952 - February 1954, 9 movies, a comic strip, and 4 tv series, 3 of which starred Stacy Keach. I've only seen the first one with Stacy Keach (84-85). I was a huge fan of the show, unfortunately the only one I know of that's been released on DVD is the last one (97-98).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hammer

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a big fan of Michael Connelly's crime fiction... me and ten million other people I guess. Detailed police procedurals that are set mostly in Los Angeles. Moody, hard bitten, with a wide streak of antiauthoritarianism.

I've never read Parker, Crais or Child. I'll have to check them out.

Also I love science fiction. Just read a short story collection I liked a lot, Unpossible and Other Stories by Daryl Gregory.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you ever read Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series? Or what about Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series? Scarpetta isn't a private eye/detective but a forensic pathologist with a law degree who works with the police to solve crimes. I guess you could say she's kind of like Quincy. I also like Kathy Reichs. The tv show Bones is based on her books.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Have you ever read Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series? Or what about Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series? Scarpetta isn't a private eye/detective but a forensic pathologist with a law degree who works with the police to solve crimes. I guess you could say she's kind of like Quincy. I also like Kathy Reichs. The tv show Bones is based on her books.

Didn't Patricia Cornwell recently put out a nonfiction book about Jack the Ripper? Or maybe I'm confusing her with someone else. Haven't read any of Cornwell but have heard of her though.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
I'm a big fan of Michael Connelly's crime fiction... me and ten million other people I guess. Detailed police procedurals that are set mostly in Los Angeles. Moody, hard bitten, with a wide streak of antiauthoritarianism.

I've never read Parker, Crais or Child. I'll have to check them out.

Also I love science fiction. Just read a short story collection I liked a lot, Unpossible and Other Stories by Daryl Gregory.

Yep I've read some Michael Connelly books. I read Lincoln Lawyer way before I found out it was going to be made into a movie (and I wasn't pleasantly surprised to see the movie was fairly faithful to the book).

I've read a few of the Harry Bosch. And actually currently reading Chasing the Dime (one of his stand alones).

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Didn't Patricia Cornwell recently put out a nonfiction book about Jack the Ripper? Or maybe I'm confusing her with someone else. Haven't read any of Cornwell but have heard of her though.

No, that's her. Although I wouldn't say it was recently released, unless you call 2002 recent. :lol:

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
No, that's her. Although I wouldn't say it was recently released, unless you call 2002 recent. :lol:

If i only heard about it recently then its recent to me damnit! Speaking of, have you guys heard of this new movie by this guy Orson Welles. It's called Citizen Kane or something. I think its about the guy who created Batman.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
And actually currently reading Chasing the Dime (one of his stand alones).

Chasing the Dime was okay but there were others better. My favorites so far are The Last Coyote, Void Moon, and Blood Work.

Another writer I want to recommend is Dan Simmons. He writes in several genres but the crime/thriller books by him that I liked most were Darwin's Blade (a thriller with an insurance investigator as hero, with some great black humor) and Hardcase, pulp noir straight out of the Mickey Spillane tradition.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Another writer I want to recommend is Dan Simmons. He writes in several genres but the crime/thriller books by him that I liked most were Darwin's Blade (a thriller with an insurance investigator as hero, with some great black humor) and Hardcase, pulp noir straight out of the Mickey Spillane tradition.

Awesome! I'll definitely have to check these out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Top Bottom